Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommended Non-'Dex Let's Plays

Xeon

Augur
https://www.youtube.com/user/hexaruz

BG Trilogy LP, A solo Ranger/Cleric multi class run of BG1, BG2 and TOB and its really good. No commentary so just an LP and not really a walkthrough, its more like a mix of speed run and a challenge or something so text will be skipped and some quests that's not suited for the run probably is skipped.

I am currently playing as I watch the LP and its great. a lot of tricks.

Xeon

Augur
https://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07
I enjoyed his Factorio LPs, he has several, Modded in hiatsu I think, vanilla and multiplayer.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKeldaron
I very much enjoyed his King's Bounty LPs. very knowledgeable. The first 11 episodes of his King's Bounty Warriors of the North Fire and Ice playlist are old, its before he restarted.

http://www.twitch.tv/folsomdsf
Very good player, kinda like Sensuki's way of playing games.

Edit:
I already mentioned Marbozir but still, if you are a fan of Civ5 then this playlist is pretty fun, He plays Barbarian Evolved complete mod (Evolved, Spawn Increase, Initial Swarm, White Walkers), playing on Deity difficulty and with raging barbarians.

Playlist: Civilization 5: Turks vs White Walkers
Episode 1: Civilization 5: Turks vs White Walkers - Ep. 1

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

ManjuShri

Self-Ejected
I enjoy the light humour and gentle ribbing of the Men Drinkin' Coffee who typically play bad games, which makes a nice change from the usual overly-antagonistic approach LPers take with such material. They have also done some PnP videos, a one-off related to their Mindjack LP, and an ongoing fantasy-based series.

I particularly liked their Raven's Cry LP and their Advergames series.

Mero16

Barely Literate
These guys are currently doing LP's of Deux Ex: HR and Final Fantasy X, and they've been pretty good so far. They also done LP's of Resident Evil 4 and Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden, which, IMO, are some of their best videos they've done.

Deus Ex: HR LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v65VTFv3Cs
Final Fantasy X LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpZeMkthdZ8&list=PL57hJfweW_2v5xHT9jmtOyWQIdWPKdAw3&index=1
Resident Evil 4 LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsazQp4VlI0&list=PL57hJfweW_2vYg9yD3AD9qO7BwAslPmTH&index=1
Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden LP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNc9R1zfwM0&list=PL57hJfweW_2tm2u4zIbi-bcQB8bgP1gdK&index=1

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't take this the wrong way, and maybe it's because I grew up with LPs back when they were first 'invented', but you people have terrible taste. Almost all the latest things linked are overly annoying or incompetent. No or very little effort invested. Maybe you just enjoy a more casual thing but I am used to high production values, people being really good at the game, being highly informative, or at the very least, refreshingly funny.

I can't blame you though. Now that the Let's Play has become more popular it's only natural a lot of low quality stuff comes out. And if you only know low quality stuff you don't know that it could be so much better.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Fuck you and your no effort shit. But yeah, lots of these YouTube Let's Players are jokers.

My shit:

Durlag's Tower: An analysis that doubles as a Let's Play (if a better one's been written, show me).
Part V: Durlag's Tower: The Venerable Deathtrap, Overview, Upper Storeys, Cellar.
Part VI: The Labyrinth of the Warders & The Labyrinth of Doors.
Part VII: The Labyrinth of Elements & The Chessboard.
Part VIII: The Labyrinth of Durlag's Ghost & The Demon Knight, Ulgoth's Beard: The Return & The Beast Unleashed.

Darkness Over Daggerford
: (Ongoing) A ridiculously in-depth recounting of Ossian's FR epic.
Part I: Introduction, Trade Way North, The City of Daggerford, Notes on the Campaign.
Part II: Daggerford Docks, Side Questing & Exploring, Lifting the Lockdown.
Part III: Lockdown Lifted: The Overworld, Western Farmlands.
Part IV: Eastern Farmlands, Daggerford Graveyard.
Part V: Gillian's Hill.

The Aielund Saga
: A detailed thirty-four-part recounting of my epic run through Savant's amazing Aielund Saga with a holy warrior, starting at first level and reaching thirty-sixth - a godly Champion of Torm (20) / Paladin (12) / Fighter (4).
Act One - Nature Abhors a Vacuum
Part I: Introduction, Bracksworth, Southern Highway, Fort Highmarch, Northern Highway.
Part II: Questing in Culdeny.
Part III: Calespur Ranges & Calespur Caverns.
Part IV: Southern Foothills, High Plains & Bracksworth Attacked!
Part V: Central Plains, Steel Tiger Hideout, Princess Criosa, the Siege of Culdeny & the Black Cavalier!
Act Two - Defender of the Crown
Part I: Pirate Attack on The Redoubtable! & the City of Fairloch.
Part II: Questing in Fairloch & the Thieves' Guild.
Part III: Amalis Highway, Kingswood, the Orc Fortress & the Assassins' Guild.
Part IV: Attack on the Senate & The Feybourne.
Part V: Stoneguard Mountains & The Valley of Silence.
Part VI: The Isle of the Dead.
Part VII: Castle Fairloch & The Castellan.
Act Three - Return of the Ironlord
Part I: Castle Fairloch & Stoneguard Mountains Revisted.
Part II: The Pass & Azurefang, The Eastern Highway & Spartan
Part III: Culdeny & Calespur Ranges.
Part IV: Bracksworth, the Southern Foothills, Cairnwood Forest & Acadia.
Part V: Fort Highmarch, the Abode of the Damned & Trinity.
Part VI: Sandstorm, Desert Fortress & Hall of the Ancients.
Part VII: Trinity & The Ironlord's Siege of Fort Highmarch!
Act Four - The Fall of Aielund
Part I: Castle Fairloch, Lords' District, Hocarum Desert & the Dire Crossing.
Part II: Tusonite/Aielund Desert Battle, the City of Myrfell.
Part III: The Eastern Front & The Battle for Bracksworth.
Part IV: Bracksworth, the Lowmarch & Hiring Mercs in Trinity.
Part V: The Southern Foothills & Cairnwood Aflame.
Part VI: Black Tiger Tribal Grounds, The Battle of Silent Valley & the Tower of Blackwood Glade.
Part VII: The Battle for Fairloch & The Ironlord's Fall!
Part VIII: Blackwood Glade & the Vault.
Part IX: Myrfell & Osric's Downfall.
Part X: The Hall of Worlds, Assumption & Mount Erebus.
Part XI: The Border Ethereal & the Dragon's Throne.
Part XII: Twilight, the Bastion & the Ruins of Botai.
Part XIII: The Eternal Battlefield: Assault on Acheron & Abaddon.
Part XIV: Assault on the Citadel of the Saqaarin.
Part XV: The Supreme Commander & the Destruction of the Citadel.
How to Download & Install The Aielund Saga

The Bastard of Kosigan: Exile of the West: A seven-part recounting of the first episode of Fabian Cerutti's mythic Europe epic, played as a Fighter / Weapon Master.
Part I: Introduction, Chargen, The Forest of the Wolves & The Dark Grove.
Notes on the Adventure added at the end of post: Important Game-play advice, Build & Itemization, Bugs & Stupid Things, Oddities, Major Spoilers, Major Bugs, Unsolved Mysteries.
Part II: The Road to Cologne, The Bridge of Saint Würz & The Kobold-Devil Caves.
Part III: The Southern Suburbs of Cologne, The Green Mountains & Kougor Beershaft's Mausoleum.
Part IV: Prinzen Stadt, Köln: The City of Cologne, Part I - The Missing Caravans Quest.
Part V: Prinzen Stadt, Köln: The City of Cologne, Part II - The Demon With Blue Fur & Learning Things from the Bishop and the Architect.
Part VI: Prinzen Stadt, Köln: The City of Cologne, Part III - Raids on the Chapter House Cellar, The Street of the Black Horses & The Foul-Smelling Sewers.
Part VII: The Grande Finale.
How to Download & Install The Bastard of Kosigan

Mask of the Betrayer: A five-part recounting of my run through Obsidian's expansion campaign for NWN2, rolling with an epic dual-wielding character.
Part I: Introduction, Bear God's Barrow.
Part II: Mulsantir, The Veil & the Shadow Veil.
Part III: Shadow Mulsantir, the Ferry Landing & The Sloop.
Part IV: Okku & the Spirit Army, Explanation of the Spirit-eater Curse.
Part V: Death God's Vault.

Hordes of the Underdark: A seven-part recounting of my veteran run through BioWare's Hordes of the Underdark with an Arcane Archer character. As a "houserule", I tried to keep a full "archer party" at all times: Deekin, Sharwyn, Nathyrra - and even Aribeth - all used ranged weapons.
Part I: Waterdeep & Undermountain I.
Part II: Undermountain II & III.
Part III: Lith My'athar, Shaori's Fell & Isle of the Maker.
Part IV: Zorvak'Mur & Cavern of the Eye Tyrants.
Part V: Drearings Deep, Battle for Lith My'athar & The Valsharess.
Part VI: City of Lost Souls & Wastes of Cania.
Part VII: Mephistopheles.

Siege of Shadowdale: A five-part recounting of Alazander's first FR module, played as a Human Wizard. Part I | II | III | IV | V |

Crimson Tides of Tethyr: a four-part recounting of Alazander's second, large-scale module, played as an Elven Fighter / Weapon Master. Part I | II | III | IV

Index with links is here.

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Colonel RPG
Watched his later parts of his Underrail LP, I am currently watching his Balrum LP as well, tried the game but its kinda of a too slow paced and couldn't be bothered, still good game and decided to watch instead. He likes old school games I think, pretty good overall but commentary is kinda of a mix, sometimes good and sometimes not that great.

DraQ

Arcane
There are two kinds of LPs that are entertaining:
  • blind LPs, for they allow reliving playing it fresh to some degree (and seeing how LPer is handing the game and the learning process may be interesting as well)
  • technically excellent LPs - speedruns, anti-walkthroughs, etc.
Of course, LPs should either involve vanilla or focused and constrained mod selection and there is no point watching an LP of something you haven't played yourself.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I assume you're mostly referring to your own tastes, DraQ. There is some point to watching an LP of something you haven't played, whether it be for the comedy of riffing shovelware MST3K style, or perhaps to get the story without the game part (common for Adventure games, it seems), etc.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
More shit I've written since that last post of mine:

Snow Hunt (This is short but sweet.. a snowy wasteland adventure where you track down a bounty hunter)
CURRENT: Baldur's Gate 2 (SCS Ascension run with a Kensai/Thief. Btw, who are the ppl who think BG2 is well-written?)
CURRENT: Subtlety of Thay (currently updating daily, in bite-sized posts for EZ reading)
Siege of Dragonspear (Beamdog promoted this one on their site, that's how good it is! Hah!)

Enjoy! Anonymous users may comment on the blog, too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom