Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recent TTRPG (D&D) campaign idea...

bryanpeddy

Novice
Untitled.png

I was harassing our Dark Sun 2e DM (who is also a forums member but I won't ID him, I'll let him ID himself if he wants) and I had this epiphany. I'm very sure it isn't an entirely original idea, but I think it'd make a good short campaign for any OSR system. I just prefer 2e AD&D. I guess it could even be done in 5th ed D&D.

I'd have it focused on a region containing two areas: an idyllic, pastoral district punctuated by a commerce-heavy town along a trade/shipping road, and an area consisting almost entirely of dangerous forest and swamp that is honeycombed with dungeons both deep and vast, all full of terrible creatures and ancient relics of an age before well-recorded history.

I ran it by some fellow players and the folks in the 2e facebook group, and so far it's gone over well as an idea. I wanted to bring it here for some more input and discussion. Tell me how much it sucks and how much I suck for liking it.

Silva

Arcane
The recently released videogame Moonlighter uses this exact premise: by night you delve into dungeons and collect loot..to sell in your store by day. There's also a recent anime with this idea, Made in the Abyss.

Both are pretty fun, so I think a tabletop version would be too.

nikolokolus

Arcane
It needs (in no particular order):
  • A syndicate of local smiths, shopkeepers and antiquities dealers who have hired assassins to protect their legitimate guild-controlled businesses.
  • A thieves' guild who offers "protection" if you give them a percentage of the cut.
  • A mayor/burgher/baron who demands a "reasonable tax," of say 51%, for the "war effort."
  • An unspeakable evil unleashed on the country-side due to the player's fumbling around in the dark.
If you need a mega-dungeon to explore, I'd go with Barrowmaze, or if you want a series of smaller dungeons something like Death Frost Doom or any of the One-page Dungeon compendiums would work.

fast

Literate
Reminds me of the PSP game Dungeon Maker. That game was pure garbage, but man was it addictive.

Talking TTRPGs, I once had a Pathfinder campaign where I didn't allow the PCs to take PC class levels- only NPC classes. One of the high points of that (short) campaign was when they hired an adventuring group to clear out a cave and retrieve a macguffin because they were terrified of what might be in there despite never having even approached it. Good times.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
Untitled.png

I was harassing our Dark Sun 2e DM (who is also a forums member but I won't ID him, I'll let him ID himself if he wants) and I had this epiphany. I'm very sure it isn't an entirely original idea, but I think it'd make a good short campaign for any OSR system. I just prefer 2e AD&D. I guess it could even be done in 5th ed D&D.

I'd have it focused on a region containing two areas: an idyllic, pastoral district punctuated by a commerce-heavy town along a trade/shipping road, and an area consisting almost entirely of dangerous forest and swamp that is honeycombed with dungeons both deep and vast, all full of terrible creatures and ancient relics of an age before well-recorded history.

I ran it by some fellow players and the folks in the 2e facebook group, and so far it's gone over well as an idea. I wanted to bring it here for some more input and discussion. Tell me how much it sucks and how much I suck for liking it.

I'd play the shit out of this, for the record.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom