Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random rambling on in-game economies

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
So, one of the silly things that happen in rpgs is that, by mid-game or so, you usually have all the cool loot and a lot of money you don’t know how to spend. There are some money sinks, but these usually don’t change things much.

This happens because, when your character dies, you reload and keep going, so effectively it’s like your guy never died, which means that the “life of the adventurer” loses the minus (stealthy goblins killed you) and keeps all the pluses (the monster had a big treasure).

Now, in a D&D type of “world”, adventurers are groups of people who usually die some horrible death away from home, and only very few groups survive and become rich.

In a videogame, though, that makes no sense, because obviously your group is supposed to survive, or the game would be over.

So the adventurer career for the player’s party is effectively a great career, since they’re assured to defeat the monster (eventually, after x reloads) and get the precious jewgold.

Now, having to pay a lot of money for ressing, á la “Baldur’s Gate” doesn’t do the trick, since you simply reload and fuck it.

What would help could be implementing a system that calculates an “upkeep” for every party member. When you sleep, you are detracted an X amount of gold per companion, and that gold is lost forever (the npc hid it in its butt or something). Said upkeep should be relatively steep, because it would take into account food, gear repairs, companion salary, etc.

Another problem is that you find the cool sword of coolness +3, and that’s worth 3000 gp, and you go to a shop and you sell it. Even if it’s a shithole of a village of 6 people living off roadkill, the merchant always has thousands of gold pieces for your loot.

That should be changed by implementing a “fixed” economy, that is, an economy where merchants don’t simply create money from nothing, but have a fixed amount that fluctuates between a max and a min value, so that merchant X has a min of 500 gps and a max of 800, and if you have stuff that’s worth, let’s say, 3000, you need to exchange it with gold + some potions + other stuff you can re-sell later, or something like that, effectively a form of barter.

Some merchants could even refuse to buy your more expensive stuff, because they live too far away from a major city where they could try to re-sell it, so they’d be stuck with no money and a very valuable sword they’d have to carry over a long distance on dangerous roads to try and get something out of it, and to them that wouldn’t be worth it.

This would create several situations. First of all, if merchant x gives you his 800 gps, then he’ll have a very low amount for several in-game weeks or months. Secondly, you might have to travel to a big city to sell your stuff, because the small hamlet of something something just doesn’t have enough money around to buy your shit. Thirdly, a high level of “barter” or whatever will allow you to give the merchant your 3k worth sword in exchange for some cash plus items, and you’d be able to re-sell these items for at least a decent portion of the remaining amount. In, let’s say, Baldur’s Gate, if Char was a dump stat for you, you’d buy a potion for 100 gp and sell it for 20. That’s obviously a big money loss. But in a more barter-oriented economy, you’d be able, with a proper amount of barter skill or whatever, to sell those potions for 60 gp, so the merchant still makes a buck and you don’t lose 80% of the value. Better yet, you trade the stuff you don’t need for stuff you need.

Alternatively, very very expensive stuff could have a market with the nobility of some place, or could be given as a “gift”, let’s say, the head of a dragon you killed and part of its treasure (ancient weapons or armor or something) could be given to the mayor of the hamlet near where that dragon was killed, to be stuffed and mounted in some public place or something, in exchange for a room for free at the local tavern whenever you are there and food and increased reputation (so lower prices) and so on.

Having to pay an upkeep for companions creates a situation where you can go solo to save money but of course you’d be more likely to die.

The point is, a decent part of your gains should go into money sinks that are not “investments” per se, like a more powerful magic item, or a +1 in strength, but should simply disappear. And the very expensive stuff should be difficult to sell, instead of simply having every single merchant in the game world buy anything at any time.
Trying to sell very expensive items should also make some merchants alert the local thieves underground or something, so that they’ll try to steal it from you. Maybe you get attacked in the tavern, or maybe you sleep, wake up and a message warns you that your fabulous sword of win is missing! So you realized that someone alerted the local thieves guild and need to find out who it was to recover it, or something. Instead, adventurers walk around town with incredibly expensive sets of armors and weapons and potions and no one seems to try and nick them, ever.

I think I’m done, sorry if this was boring, but for once I’d like a game where economy isn’t just there to allow you to become incredibly rich and isn’t based on an infinite creation of money, but is a part of the game play. After all, a rpg is not supposed to be some sort of diablo, where you bring the loot to Griswold to sell it over and over again.

Feel free to add any suggestion you might think could help in this sense, maybe we could link this thread to the Project Eternity guys if some decent ideas come out of it.

Cheers.

Edit
I’ll add stuff to the OP as it comes along, plus stuff I thought of.
So, ideas until now:
- Regular loot (armors, weapons) is basically worthless. Something á la Baldur’s Gate, where leather armors and such are relatively heavy to carry but are worth 1-3 gp.
- Limited amount of cash from merchants which regenerates quite slowly- Existence of a barter system, similar to the first Fallout for instance
- Penalties for carrying excessive weight, in terms of reduced space for food and expedition goods and in terms of loss of reactivity in case of combat
- Items durability, and items breaking beyond repair with use (shields, etc)
- When appropriate, make certain items or currencies worthless in different areas
- Daily upkeep (your companions’ salary, food, general expenses, etc)
- Extra weight slows you down. Being slow in certain areas can get you unwanted consequences (swamp = sickness, bandit infested areas = inability to escape an ambush, etc)
- Selling a lot of the same item makes that item less valuable (sell me two armors, cool, they are worth like 100g each! Sell me ten, heh, what am I supposed to do with all of these, they’re worth 30 g each)
-Travelling with valuable stuff becomes more dangerous, to avoid “game-y” behaviour.
(will keep updating…)

Lorica

Educated
I wonder if most "loot" type items should be saleable at all in a standard game. You could model an economy very well, but it's just implausible that you'd be able to offload 58 rust pitted shortswords or even a single suit of plate armour for much more than the value of their material components. Why bend plausibility if it breaks part of the game you're trying to craft? Just don't allow loot to be sold at all, only rare cases where you're 'procuring' an item by request or have some quest reason (like some of the ideas you've thrown out there). Take notes from JA2.

Also, mechant cash limits and a plausible market with supply and demand and such are nice in trading games, but do kind of encourage gamey behaviours. I think the risk will be that people will roll their eyes that they need to visit half the continent's merchants peddling 2 splintery goblin bludgeons at a time to get that extra 30% profit rather than taking it as a clear sign that the designer wanted to combat a certain "uber wealth" effect.

More exotically...

1. Make looting a crime. It belongs to the lord of the land/space cops will bust your ass/the IRS will take your kidneys for undeclared income.

2. Put dungeons where you'd get loot very, very far away from where you could convert that loot to wealth and integrate it with an overland travel system that severely penalizes you for any unnecessary weight--no stocking up on too much stuff that you intend to sell. If you get an awesome new item, most likely you're going to have to leave the old shit behind.

3. Player is part of a religious order and will take XP hits proportionate to the value of his possessions.

4. Space societies have no use for the artefacts of planet Mocos. Players can get and resell loot there and become fabulously wealthy in the local economy... But just not be able to redeem it for anything of value anywhere else, just on services and quests on planet.

I dunno, I think I could go on. I share your resentment of this "pick up everything and sell it anywhere" kind of approach to loot. The wealth thing is a different problem that isn't necessarily a problem, it just has to be done right. I don't know that these are ideas to make a believeable simulated economy, but there seems to be a decent roadmap there with real life.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Those are some good points. If I just killed those brigands with arrows and swords, their armor is probably in pretty bad conditions, so it won’t be worth much, if anything at all in the case of leather/hide. In the case of a metal armor, if it’s all ruined and hammered and stuff, it will be worth something for the metal to be re-melted or something, but a fraction of its full value as an armor.

About the traveling half a continent, that’s precisely the point: I’ll sell them to the local merchant, who gives me 3 gp instead of 15 or 20, but I won’t have to carry stuff around, and will carry it around only when very valuable.

Also, ew, mocos.

Lorica

Educated
With the "far distances" point, I was thinking of perhaps a RoA style game where equipment and disease play a role. Characters carrying 50 kilos of junk around a swamp for weeks should suffer for it. Make characters carry food and the right kind of clothes for their expeditions. Sure, you could drop some valuable rations for that marble statue, but if you hit any random delay on the way back, you've fucked yourself. Even if there's just an endurance type stat that falls for days of forced march with a heavy load that will influence your general readiness in the case of combat or other random, skill-based events. Stuff like that, which would make shuttling things back to civilization very difficult.

laclongquan

Arcane
Eh, just think in some realistic manner:

You got twenty suit of armors. Never mind how you get them. You lug them all to the nearest village/small town to liquidate, ie sell them for cash. Who will buy them? Your smith, the town guard captain. and they have limited cash to buy. Which mean either you store the spare loots at the town, or lug them to the next.

As long as you accept some realistic restraint on your gameplay you would not have thatkind of imbalance.

A character has limited carry capacity. Maximum 150pound included equipments and that's it. Overloaded will lead to reduce fighting abilities and movement speed.

Items has halfway realistic weight. A medieval armor should worth its weight.

Item should have durability, and the capacity to repair it by other of its kinds, ala Fallout New Vegas system. Also, remember the maxim: A good blade can las one strenuous battle but a good shield last maybe four strike. Make item pretty fragile, possible even more than FNV.

Also, make maintainance activities take time, unlike FNV system where it's no time at all.

Ruthlessly nerf the exploits that can lead to breaking the game economy balance.

J1M

Arcane
In the majority of games your companions work for free while watching you amass a dragon hoard.

Each companion in your party should take 10% of the party's income as salary plus danger pay. (With no option to leave them at the tavern and go sell the gems)

Also, making coins take up physical inventory space is another option. Sure, there is weight you can model if you want, but there's also the fact that 40,000 coins should take up a significant amount of room.

Give the player a bank option, mages take a teller fee for giving access in a different town, etc.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Nobody mentioned training costs? If you price them properly (to be a major part of character spending), they work great and can introduce interesting "do I buy that expensive weapon upgrade for this character, or train him to increase some of his skills?" choices. You can just make them a static expense, or you could take it further towards the D&Dish "XP for treasure" mechanic with all of its consequences... etc.

But seriously, most of this stuff is just a matter of thinking it through and investing the effort to make something that fits your design goals - i.e. in the games that get it wrong, it's quite obviously they do, and that it's because nobody thought it through or invested enough effort (=budget) into it... So there's loads of different ways you can go about it, and a dearth of (recentish) cRPGs that actually bother to even try...

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
In the majority of games your companions work for free while watching you amass a dragon hoard.

Each companion in your party should take 10% of the party's income as salary plus danger pay. (With no option to leave them at the tavern and go sell the gems)
I always thought party system works more like Sid Meier Pirates.Party loot doesn't belong to a one person but rather it belongs to every member so you share the loot when you go separate ways.
NPC characters in games are not mercenaries and they spend their most of their time together so it's only natural they are not too greedy about personal loot.

But this could work in a turn-based isometric rpg's where you control more than 5 members.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
yeah i was wondering if at least one or two existed, and which ones they were, but nvm

J1M

Arcane
Nobody mentioned training costs? If you price them properly (to be a major part of character spending), they work great and can introduce interesting "do I buy that expensive weapon upgrade for this character, or train him to increase some of his skills?" choices. You can just make them a static expense, or you could take it further towards the D&Dish "XP for treasure" mechanic with all of its consequences... etc.
That's true, I remember in Exile III I never had enough gold to fully train my party.

deuxhero

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei 1/2, Devil Summoner, Soul Hackers and Raidou 1 all had an upkeep system in the form of mag with the intent that you balance the cost of your active party against what you get from fights. The problem is the MAG per fight was badly balanced, it discouraged exploration, forced you to actually fight random encounters and, in Soul Hackers, the 3 party members with no MAG cost (The main character, his demon possessed girlfriend, and a homunculus Frankenstein's monster thing you can customize) are able to clear most dungeons (except bosses who have clear warnings and no one but the Humans gain XP anyways) on their own.

Atelier's system of a limited inventory+time limit+most items are for crafting and sell for little compared to much quicker jobs works for the most part (Early Atelier games also forced you to pay salaries to your party members apparently, no idea how that worked out)

Random

Arcane
Patron
Hrm...

Well, I always liked Final Fantasy XII for not usually dropping straight cash from victories, but instead giving you species-specific items like hides, horns, rare flowers, etc. etc. that those creatures would naturally produce, and then you would take them back to a city or town and sell them in bulk for dosh. The only things that dropped hot cash were other sentient creatures who were part of society.

I like the idea of forcing players to deposit most of their loot and money they've acquired at banks, which will logically then invest that money into the economy, making it useful for everyone involved in the enterprise. It's a very down-to-earth way to handle copious amounts of loot.

And if a character is in the adventure for the dosh, then they should get a solid cut of the winnings, which is even with all the other party members. I'd say at least 50% of all money earned should go towards training and equipment and provision costs for future journeys, kind of a honey pot for anyone who needs an important item to dip into.

This is just my two cents.

Lorica said:
Also, mechant cash limits and a plausible market with supply and demand and such are nice in trading games, but do kind of encourage gamey behaviours. I think the risk will be that people will roll their eyes that they need to visit half the continent's merchants peddling 2 splintery goblin bludgeons at a time to get that extra 30% profit rather than taking it as a clear sign that the designer wanted to combat a certain "uber wealth" effect.

I recently made a simple map-based supply and demand system for Fallout 2, and this is one of the problems I'm worried it will introduce. I'm hoping a combination of making travelling the wasteland more dangerous and making being heavily packed more risky (I've put an exhaustion system in a separate mod which partly depends on the ratio of current weight to max weight) will discourage exploitative behavior.

(In case anyone's interested in the mod, you can find more info and a download here)

I was also thinking of trying something with localized inflation (I mainly like the idea of prices shooting up as the player struts into town waving his wads of cash around), but that would probably be too easy to exploit no matter what you try to add.

baturinsky

Arcane
I think easiest option is just a (virtually) unlimited money sink.
Option one. Training, or item upgrade, or some other stacking bonus. With price raising exponentially.
Option two. Shop with very good gear - better than you can find anywhere else - but at very high price. ToME4 did it perfectly with randomized randarts, but it can not work in savescumming-enabled game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Strangely enough, MMORPGOMGWTFBBQS have the opposite problem, it's one of the reasons I stopped playing STO. Your character/clan/team/fleet/band of murderous orcs can keep upgrading his/their base/lair/starbase/Headquarters to gain functionality and power but the resource costs increase exponentially at each level, so your vast fortune gained while grinding up to the level cap suddenly becomes a tiny drop in the ocean.

This mechanic won't work in proper single player crpgs of course. The only reason that level of boredom and grinding is tolerated in MMO's is because you're playing with "friends" and talking random shit while doing it. Take that away and it just becomes torture.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
updated OP, seems like creating a decent economic system would take a lot of work...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom