Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info QTEs in The Witcher 2 optional

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Elwro, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher 2, The

<p>Or so says a guy labeled "Lead Gameplay Designer" at the <a href="http://tw2.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=29292.585">official forums</a>:</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p style="padding-left: 30px;"><span>There is possibility to turn off QTE system so there is always choice to play with or without it.</span></p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Then again, we have people labeled "Ask me about anime" and just check what happens when you do ask them about anime. So, these labels may be deceiving.&nbsp;</p>
    <p>&nbsp;</p>
    <p>Thanks, <strong>tetsuo</strong>!</p>
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    But will sex scenes have QTEs?
    ^ Top  
  3. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
  4. Reptilian Shapeshifter Educated

Reptilian Shapeshifter
    Giving a whole new meaning to the term "button mashing".
    ^ Top  
  5. BelisariuS.F Learned

BelisariuS.F
    Yes. I've read that it will have two different consequences: your partner have, or doesn't have orgasm. In the second act will be a certain woman, if you give her orgasm, the story will branch out in different direction and in the third act you'll be given an entirely different set of quests. So, sex in the Witcher is very plot critical. Seriously.
    ^ Top  
  6. .Sigurd Educated

.Sigurd
    Bah! What's the difference!?
    ^ Top  
  7. tindrli Liturgist

tindrli
    and whata fuck is QTEs
    ^ Top  
  8. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    quick time events...
    ^ Top  
  9. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    So... you can just turn off QTEs? So you could just skip over boss fights?
    ^ Top  
  10. shiteatingnippledick Arcane Patron

shiteatingnippledick
    And thank god for that. What's the reason for smashing QTEs in game if you are not going to have severe consequences for them?
    ^ Top  
  11. Merkwürdigliebe Magister

Merkwürdigliebe
    Press A to thrust. :thumbsup:
    ^ Top  
  12. a budda Arbiter

a budda
    course no, you need hands free
    ^ Top  
  13. Gakkone pretty cool guy eh Patron

Gakkone
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    I think it'll rather be possible to win all boss fights without QTE's.
    ^ Top  
  14. commie The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Like I already said, all QTE in The Witcher 2 are just something to make what would be a cutscene a bit more interactive, no big deal. On the Codex though was a bunch of fucktarded rage from idiots who seemingly have no problem with cutscenes, but fuck, making them a bit more involving with QTE all of a sudden makes them angry like a bunch of fucking morons.

Oh and in before the "WAAHHH, cutscenes!" faggotry. Wake up you fuckheads, The Witcher isn't a fucking roguelike or a blob crawler; never was, never will be. It's a story ARPG of the Bioware type, so expecting something else is pretty fucking stupid.

Oh and I don't remember any QTE boss fights in the first Witcher, so why the fuck would they be here?
    ^ Top  
  15. BelisariuS.F Learned

BelisariuS.F
    I've recently stumbled upon some three week old video interview with Gop, where he said that QTE is only in this single boss fight with this giant squid, and even there it's only an alternative way of defeating it (you can probably defeat it by just cutting off all of its tentacles). As for the dragon, judging by the description, it seems that it's not even a boss fight, but basically an interactive cutscene.
    ^ Top  
  16. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    You really are a dumbshit fanboy, aren't you? QTEs in cutscenes are not 'involving' in any way, unless you find the experience of playing Simon Says an immersive and visceral activity. They certainly aren't any form of improvement either, which I pointed out in thatotherthread before some other cockrocker called me a skyway.

If you have a cutscene, you are supposed to lay back and observe what's happening in it, NOT just look at the fucking corners of the screen to wait for the icons telling you to jump to pop up, completely breaking the fourth wall and deconcentrating you from following the current course of actions. And it is especially not too fucking fun either when you have to rewatch the fucking cutscene 10 times, just because some dumb faggot thought it was an ingenious idea to put a QTE cutscene into it that would make you play fucking Twister on your keyboard, having to push 764987698347609340698 buttons at once (+ OHAI, SURPRISE TRAP THAT YOU COULDN'T SEE BEFORE HAPPENS, YOU HAVE 1/2 SEC TO REACT BY PUSHING X)
    ^ Top  
  17. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    :D You feel very strongly about this game, don't you.

EDIT: But I'm one of those people that don't like cutscenes in general unless, perhaps I've earned one by defeating a powerful enemy IN GAME, but I could do without the "Welcome to this particular spot in the game, let me show you a movie for the next 5 minutes"
    ^ Top  
  18. .Sigurd Educated

.Sigurd
    Exactly. They already said that QTE in boss fights is optional.
    ^ Top  
  19. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    If they had only mentioned this from the start we could have avoided all that bitching. :M Now make me a better inventory.
    ^ Top  
  20. Jaz Educated

Jaz
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    I don't like QTEs as well, but in which game does this happen? Every QTE I saw consisted of either a single quick, unexpected button press or a slow, steady series of presses.
    ^ Top  
  22. Arcanoix Scholar

Arcanoix
    If you can turn off QTE's that would be quite impressive. The thing is though - will turning them off make the game turn off the QTE scenes or will it just skip them?
    ^ Top  
  23. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    If you turn off QTEs it'll play just like a regular cinematic.
    ^ Top  
  24. DarkUnderlord Bringing that old Raptor magic.

DarkUnderlord
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    That you can turn them off, shows how pointless they are in the first place.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)