Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline PS4 wins the console war against XboxONE, yet it is a hollow victory as Consolesdämmerung is upon us

abija

Prophet
Why would removing kinect from the base kit be the end of all-in-one entertainment system?
Outside of gaming it was just a terrible remote and should be fairly easy anyway to allow remote control with tablets and stuff...

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Why would removing kinect from the base kit be the end of all-in-one entertainment system?
Outside of gaming it was just a terrible remote and should be fairly easy anyway to allow remote control with tablets and stuff...
Shut up, nobody needs your common sense.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, the article says:

The HDMI input and passthrough remains, but doesn't work as well without voice control, while centralised control of your TV and sound system is now gone without Kinect. The innovative multi-OS virtual machine set-up is a breathtaking technological achievement, but always came across as unwieldy in action and now falls by the wayside in general usage now that the voice input has gone. Out of the box, the Kinect-free Xbox One is really no more of a media centre than its predecessor

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

The Kinect was the center of the "improved TV" thing. Ripping it out and saying never mind is a pretty clear sign the TV shit is less important too. Which it should be, because nobody cared about it. And with Netflix and shit on every electronic device under the sun now, including TVs themselves, the need for an Xbox in that realm is dead. Their dream of living room dominance is dead, honestly. The Kinect integrated TV shit was their hail mary and it's done.

abija

Prophet
My whole experience with a xbox one was watching some people dicking around in a showroom. What exactly am I missing about kinect and TV that makes it so special?
A voice activated remote sure as hell doesn't make it the center of "improved TV" and I suppose the UI is usable even without voice commands (since recognition is not available in all languages yet).

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kinect was a major point in their marketing strategy, which is more than enough to render it important. Its removal is a fucking disaster PR-wise, as the integrity of the whole product is all over the place in the public eye.

Last edited:

abija

Prophet
Yeah... still waiting for the reason kinect would be a requirement to their "all in one" dream.
I mean one would think being able to actually handle TV signal by it's own would be a bigger deal (so you don't need another box near THE ONE).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Kinect was a major point in their marketing strategy, which is more than enough to render it important. Its removal is a fucking disaster PR-wise, as the integrity of the whole product is all over the place in the public eye.

This screams Sega and Sega32x drama.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In hindsight, packing in Kinect and making media integration central to the Xbox One proposition looks like an awful mistake.
Ha. Obvious in hindsight, huh? Is that why there were so many people saying it was a terrible idea when they unveiled the console?

You'd think Microsoft would have learned from the PS3 debacle - gamers don't want a media box, they want a fucking video game console. That plays video games. And unlike the PS3 and bluray, which was actually a thing some people wanted, nobody was screaming for a kinect. All the extra features are just fluff. And fluff is fine, as long as it doesn't inflate the price of the console. But when you're sticking a $100 motion tracker or a $400 disc reader into every unit and expecting customers to pay the difference for something they don't even want, you're going to lose sales.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
XboxOne was already a disaster as soon as they announced it, hardly anybody will raise a brow by this point.

My whole experience with a xbox one was watching some people dicking around in a showroom. What exactly am I missing about kinect and TV that makes it so special?
A voice activated remote sure as hell doesn't make it the center of "improved TV" and I suppose the UI is usable even without voice commands (since recognition is not available in all languages yet).

A bunch of old guys thought the future was talking to your appliances like in old sci-fi. Literally the exact same shit we have now, except talking instead of using a remote. Turns out everyone thinks that's dumb.

And from what I've heard the XBox UI is one of the shittiest in the business, as if to encourage people to use voice recognition.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, if you're Jabba the Hutt it's easier to shout commands than reach for the remote. Like this guy:

XboxOne was already a disaster as soon as they announced it, hardly anybody will raise a brow by this point.
It was a potential disaster, now it becomes an actual disaster.

Tytus

Arcane
Well, if you're Jabba the Hutt it's easier to shout commands than reach for the remote. Like this guy:

It was a potential disaster, now it becomes an actual disaster.

No, no, no. You don't get it, he is just pretending to be fat, you see?

Man, it just keeps going.

cPd4ac.gif

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand...

I felt sympathy for that fat fuck, he didn't seem obnoxious or too stupid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom