Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Torment PS:T + Lustmord

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by iqzulk, Oct 28, 2013.

1. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Trivia:
    Show Spoiler
    Brian Williams (also known as Lustmord) was the original composer for Planescape: Torment. Here are two official trailers: 1, 2 - featuring the same track made by him specifically for the game. His work was ultimately discarded and changed for Mark Morgan's soundtrack. Trailer music (above) is the only musical piece left from the former soundtrack (apart from the files in possession of Brian himself).

Here is some trivia about his involvement into the game's development:

Also, Mark Morgan's point of view:

Now to the matter at hand. Here is the twitter conversation I had with the guy just now:

So, the question is: "What now?". Like, do I need to start an internet petition or something (since he obviously doesn't want to "test the waters" even if via kickstarter)? If so, then how do I need to write the damn thing? In what way do I need to "promote" it? Finally, what number of signatures should be considered enough (since he obviously dodged the last question - and, I presume, has no intention whatsoever to name any specific numbers)? What's basically the best way to resolve this whole thing?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    • Brofist Brofist x 8
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  3. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    As far as I know most of PST soundtrack music made it into Lustmord's Metavoid album and most prominently in :

Blood Deep In Red:

The Eliminating Angel (Couldn't find it full, it's a 11:43 track):

A Light that is darkness:

And since what we're talking about a few 1-2 minute tracks I don't really see a point in such a release. I would much prefer a new collaboration for a soundtrack for T:ToN.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Here's a little life lesson for you. PST is a cult classic. TTON raised 4 million dollars on Kickstarter. FOUR MILLIONS. If after pointing the guy to this he still claims that "there isn't enough interested" then, short of you walking into his office with $1M in cash, nothing will make him change his mind. I've dealt with plenty of people like this IRL. They don't want to put the effort to find out if this stuff is martketable. They don't really care about it. I mean if he had ANY interest then he would've given you an estimate (which he didn't). Or he would've gone and had a look at the TTON kickstarter, the numbers, etc, which I'm pretty sure from his short reply he didn't bother doing.

That said the music's pretty nice from what I can tell of the Metavoid excerpts I've listened to, would've fit the game nicely.

^ Top  
  5. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Parrots:
    Sadly, 10 min is far from either 63 min (Metavoid) or 90-100 min (original PS:T album), so I wouldn't say this is "most of PST soundtrack music".

Sceptic, you do have a point. And this
    could actually be right.

P.S. Updated the OP conversation.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    ^ Top  
  6. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    90-100 minutes ? I didn't know there was that much, especially from how Brian talked about it. I Just read the interview. Thumbs up for a petition then, but he is probably still a bit butthurt from the fact that they didn't use his music (and maybe rightfully so).

^ Top  
  7. Whisky The Solution

Whisky
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Too bad, but you can't force people into releasing stuff they clearly don't want to. You can tell just by how he's answering.

^ Top  
  8. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Monstroterratum Furiosum Patron

MicoSelva
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    This reminds me. These trailers have bits of animated scenes, stills from which are used as images of NPCs/monsters in the journal in PST. When I was younger, I thought these animations can be accessed in-game and I just didn't know how to do it. Does anyone know if they are available anywhere in their full glory?

EDIT:
    I'm guessing that the producer change mentioned is Guido Henkel leaving and someone replacing him. Do we know who that someone was?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    ^ Top  
  9. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Parrots:
    Well, if you look at the credits section (at mobygames, for example), the answer becomes kinda obvious:
    Quick search also revealed these two links: 1, 2.

As for the subject matter, I received this answer:
    so i guess he at least liked that 4mil$ number I shoved in my last message to him. Guess, now I'll need to write him via email, and to explain, very precisely and carefully, my entire line of thought (including the explanation of how kickstarter works).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. iqzulk Savant

iqzulk
    Parrots:
    Also, found this tidbit by Guido himself:
    for which GoogleTranslate provides the following translation (if anyone wants to contribute a better translation, I'll gladly switch this one for it):
    The aforementioned audio director, as mobygames suggests, was Charles Deenen.

^ Top  
  11. Scruffy The janitor Patron

Scruffy
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
    wow, with this kind of soundtrack PS:T would have been even better, and i do like MMorgan's stuff, but this is clearly more fitting.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Athelas Arcane

Athelas
    Parrots:
    So they hired this guy to score music for months and then fired him mere weeks before the game's release? No wonder Interplay went under... Although it sounds like they didn't pay him or something.

^ Top  
  13. Eyeball Arcane

Eyeball
    Parrots:
    Good call. PS:T's soundtrack as it is is a million times better than anything Lustmord could have done. Simply fits better.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Excommunicator Arcane

Excommunicator
    Parrots:
    Sounds like some shameless cronyism by the audio director to get his friend a job when the task was already completed by a more accomplished musician, and all at the extent of the studio. I bet this kind of thing happens a lot in the game industry (and movies, music)

A shame, Lustmord in PST would have been excellent

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    huh, his nickname is Lustmord? is he swedish?

Lustmord = Pleasure Murder.

^ Top  
  16. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    He's from Wales i think. And lustmord is a german word that means sex murder (i always thought it was a stupid name).

^ Top  
  17. Regvard Arcane

Regvard
    Parrots:
    There are so many pieces of good music out there and as much as I love PS:T; I doubt any non-aspie particularly cares unless it can somehow be integrated back in to the game with a superior outcome than the original. Do you guys seriously sit down and listen to game soundtracks done, usually, by 3rd rate composers?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. CMcC Larian Studios Developer

CMcC
    Parrots:
    I was the one who originally approached Brian about doing the work, and I loved what he had done. I had a few heated discussions about keeping it in, but was overruled (I should add that I'm okay with that, because I wasn't the lead on the project, and in the end it wasn't my call to make). After he left the project, I lost touch with him.

I can understand why he might still be pissed about it. I thought it was some pretty excellent, unconventional work.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  19. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    Parrots:
    it is spelled the same in swedish.

^ Top  
  20. Eyeball Arcane

Eyeball
    Parrots:
    Please. Lustmord at his best sounds like a depressed person farting. With him, we would never have heard such grandness as the ouverture to PST, which even today is one of the better RPG themes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixv_jRI6VqY

As a soundtrack for PoE, however, Lustmord's music is spectacular. It really fits the dank and gloomy environments.

^ Top  
  21. Papa Môlé Arcane

Papa Môlé
    Parrots:
    Maybe he wants to appear avant-garde and releasing a video game soundtrack would hurt his image. :P

^ Top  
  22. Toffeli Atomkrieg, ja bitte Patron

Toffeli
    Parrots:
    Wasteland 2
    If there are some who don't know this, Lustmord's collaboration with Roberth Rich in the Stalker album is fucking brilliant. One the best if not the best dark ambient albums ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(album)

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  23. Koschey Arcane Patron

Koschey
    Parrots:
    Heh, just today I rewatched the PT trailer, seeing as it is one of my favourite game trailers/ads, and merely hours afterwards I stumble upon this thread.

Sounds to me like he meant to continue the conversation via mail, so you wouldn't have to fit you questions into the 140 characters of a tweet but instead could elaborate. Have to agree though that sadly, he didn't make a particularly enthusiastic impression. I would have liked to be able to hear his Planescape work.

^ Top  
  24. cherry blossom Magister

cherry blossom
    Parrots:
    I concur with Septic but it wouldn't be the hardest thing to convince him into a Kickstarter with smart communication.

If you are going to contact him, iqzulk, don't start off naively, talking about negative possibilities as well. Do it as though you are an authority on the subject with firm knowledge to give the impression that any answer he may give will be worth his time, not yours. The guy has made his position clear: "this is how I make money". Entice him with a channel to make money.

The idea that Torment originally had different music that all the devs, including MCA, was in agreement with must be marketed but the way you should talk about it to him is as if that already has happened and with a convincing enough effort, people are ready to buy an exclusive PST album. There is potential in this.

Perhaps Vault Dweller will have sound advise, being a former VP of sales.

^ Top  
  25. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    If he's going to try to kickstart mastering the album it's not going to work unless he puts effort into it. It sounds like he's not enthusiastic about it and asking for other people's money for something you personally don't give a shit about doesn't work well on kickstarter.

I'm looking at the PST install directory right now. I see no reason why one couldn't replace the existing music files. They're .acm files, and don't seem to play nice with any media players I have, but I doubt it would be hard to convert an mp3 into this format.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)