Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #56: Paladins and Wild Orlans

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Witcher IS standart. Because Saqpkovsky wrote about it in his essay "Pirug or no gold in the Grey Mountains" where he mostly trolls fantasy authors and fantasy clichés(including herpderping feminists) and also mocks his Witcher and how he used most traditional cliches there.

Rake

Arcane
Rake said:
All settings can provide framework for racial conflict that makes sense. That very few do than anything other "Pointy-Eared White Supremacists" is the fault of lazy writters/game devs and not inherent quality/restriction of the settings themselves. Correct me if i'm wrong.

By your logic, any setting can do anything, which I guess is correct in some theoretical, irrelevant framework. The Witcher provides a framework for how it works which is both original and functional.

Pretty much.
http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/09/the-black-hound-what-its-deal-was.html
As an example, the Red Wizards of Thay (an FR magical organization/magocracy) underwent a transformation between 2nd Ed. and 3E. They became a "kinder, gentler" trading nation forming magical mercantile enclaves in lands that would let them in. The thing is, 2nd Ed./3E Red Wizards probably look pretty weird to Cormyreans and Dalesmen. They shave their heads (including the women), speak a different language, and have a lot of magical tattoos. They're also darker-skinned. After a few centuries of being regarded as pariahs everywhere west of the River Sur, they show up in these places and are doing business -- questionable business -- in broad daylight.

The not interesting thing to do (IMO) with that shift as a scenario or story designer would be to have a pack of bad guy Thayans in an enclave with the good guy locals saying, "Those darn Thayans are up to something, please help us, heroes." I was intrigued by the idea that a Thayan enclave could contain a "new guard" of diplomatic Red Wizards and an "old guard" of fireball-hurling hardasses who aren't allowed (or are discouraged from going) outside. Some of the new guard genuinely want to mend fences. Others simply want to use it as a way to re-establish safe power centers and observation posts in lands where they previously would have been killed on sight.

The new guard use concealing/lightening makeup, don wigs, and wear "western" clothing to fit in. The old guard chafes at having to conceal their heritage and suffers under the jeers and slurs of locals if they dare to appear in public. The new guard speaks with good and proper "Common" grammar and pronunciation, not stumbling over foreign sounds and linguistic concepts. I thought it would create a more interesting and nuanced relationship between the Thayans, the Dalesman, and those who interacted with them, lending sympathy to the traditionally "villainous" and creating a more agonizing struggle between the sub-factions of the Thayans.

An old evil wizard who strokes his beard and cackles as he unleashes chain lightning on random townsfolk isn't particularly sympathetic. But suppose he were a veteran Red Wizard who watched his fellows succumb over the years in service to the zulkirs and was forced to "step aside" as young diplomats smooth talked their way into trade relationships with their former enemies. He has to endure the insults of locals, hear them mock his clothing, his pronunciation, his skin, his culture. And when he expresses his frustration to his new (younger) "superiors", he's treated like an anachronism, an old artillery cannon left to rust and rot on a forgotten battlefield. That dude may still wind up casting chain lightning on townsfolk, but if we weave a compelling story around him, the player should feel that there's more to him than that.
"Okay, so let's suppose all of this stuff about the Realms is true. What does that really mean for how the people in it live their lives?" It made the world more dark and grim, and sometimes that consideration wound up bucking convention, but we didn't set out to invert fantasy conventions just for the sake of doing it.
Witcher can't be so original when Forgotten Realms can provide the same framework.

PE will also have racial conflict, and i believe they will do it in a good way. That impacts the quality of the setting,not it's originality.
I agree - and by doing so I'm not going against anything I've written previously :)

Well, you sited racial conflict as proof of Witcher's originality :P

ASOIAF and Abercrombie do the same. I still would say that it's the stories and characters that break the tropes and not the settings themselves.
You would be incorrect.

How so? Unless we have a different definition of "setting".

Duraframe300

Arcane
I hate the term generic. It's like the term people go back to if they just want to take the easy route in critisism or/and can't even explain what they are critizizing. It doesn't help that the term is entirly subjective in the first place and completly dependant on external factors. IT EXPRESSES SHIT.

I like an unique setting as much as the next guy, but that isn't where I'm setting the priority. A setting has to work in itself on a technological, sociological, economical and ecological basis. A narrative set in that setting has to make use of its specifics. That's what a good setting and in turn a good narrative is (for me).

DraQ

Arcane
*Yawn*

Grunker is derping as usual.
It's pretty evident that the point of the Witcher universe is that it's basically bog-standard fantasy hit by copious amount of crapsack and some internal logic.
There are some minor distinctive accents to it, but not very pronounced, nor impactful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom