Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #43: Godlikes and Animation

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Poor Codex wanted originality in setting and traditionalism in mechanics. Got vice versa. :(

:lol:

But it's got Celtic names or something. And guns!
I wonder who came up with the idea for this "setting". Likely Sawyer. He's definitely capable of this pure yawnery in both world and mechanic design.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer never played Dragon Age.
I know. That's what makes it so funny :lol:

How would you say Project Eternity's setting, from what we know of it now, is more similar to Dragon Age than it is to the Forgotten Realms?

You guys think there's going to be some trite "twist" in the setting here, but I don't think there is a twist. It's just good old generic fantasy, hated by settingfags on the Codex everywhere.

Harold

Arcane
How would you say Project Eternity's setting, from what we know of it now, is more similar to Dragon Age than it is to the Forgotten Realms?

You guys think there's going to be some trite "twist" in the setting here, but I don't think there is a twist. It's just good old generic fantasy, hated by settingfags on the Codex everywhere.

FR is much too all over the place high-fantasy to warrant a comparison i.e Rashemen <> Chult <> Sword Coast <> Icewind Dale <> Calimshan etc. You could say PE is similar to it in the gods' department at this point, but we know little about it.
It is similar to DA because:

- both are obviously inspired by pre-to-early Renaissance Europe. Sawyer tries to mix it up with diff cultures having reached diff technology states, something I'm pretty sure Gaider wanted to convey at some point, with his original vision getting subsequently chopped up to fit the popamole crowd
- limited selection of banal races with a twist. Not as limited as DA, because it doesn't have to contend with popamole crowd as much but still. Both games promised more bizarre races initially, but were eventually cut ( I know this is speculation as far as PE goes at this point but I'm sticking to my guns)
- emphasis placed more on culture/ethnicity and the conflicts generated by different cultures operating under diff laws. I think this one is p obvious. We're going to have not-England, not-Italy, not-Spain etc with a twist. I'm also pretty sure that PE's plot, like DA, will feature heavy political/librul elements, as has been the case with both Sawyer led games (IWD2, FONV). Thankfully, since Obsidian has better writers than Bioware, these will probably be more interesting
- DA took place in Ferelden, a small part of Thedas and arguably the most generic. The same can be said for the 1st PE game taking place 'in and around the Dyrwood region'

The only thing that PE has going for it at this point for originality is the whole soul thing and the scheming gods wrapped in mystary! - who are most likely mortals that reached some sort of power through technology/occult artifacts (the whole bombing of Godhammer citadel thing hints at this); my bet is they'll be similar to Lord of Light , but we won't know that for sure for quite some time.
We'll have to wait and see if my prediction game turned out to be accurately :obviously: or full of shit. If it is the former, you can be sure I'll be rubbing it in nonstop. :salute:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FR is much too all over the place high-fantasy to warrant a comparison i.e Rashemen <> Chult <> Sword Coast <> Icewind Dale <> Calimshan etc. You could say PE is similar to it in the gods' department at this point, but we know little about it.

Indeed.

- both are obviously inspired by pre-to-early Renaissance Europe. Sawyer tries to mix it up with diff cultures having reached diff technology states, something I'm pretty sure Gaider wanted to convey at some point, with his original vision getting subsequently chopped up to fit the popamole crowd

So are most of the non-obscure regions of the Forgotten Realms. Games like MotB are an exception to the rule and you know it.

- limited selection of banal races with a twist. Not as limited as DA, because it doesn't have to contend with popamole crowd as much but still. Both games promised more bizarre races initially, but were eventually cut ( I know this is speculation as far as PE goes at this point but I'm sticking to my guns)

PE has six playable races. Baldur's Gate has six playable races.

- emphasis placed more on culture/ethnicity and the conflicts generated by different cultures operating under diff laws. I think this one is p obvious. We're going to have not-England, not-Italy, not-Spain etc with a twist. I'm also pretty sure that PE's plot, like DA, will feature heavy political/librul elements, as has been the case with both Sawyer led games (IWD2, FONV). Thankfully, since Obsidian has better writers than Bioware, these will probably be more interesting

Granted.

- DA took place in Ferelden, a small part of Thedas and arguably the most generic. The same can be said for the 1st PE game taking place 'in and around the Dyrwood region'

Baldur's Gate took place in The Sword Coast.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Thinking of PE as "generic fantasy" is rather pessimistic, I think they just want us (players) to be in the comfortable zone, but still leave a place for twists and mysteries Obsidian are so good at.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Thinking of PE as "generic fantasy" is rather pessimistic, I think they just want us (players) to be in the comfortable zone, but still leave a place for twists and mysteries Obsidian are so good at.

The setting is generic, but the stories told in it won't be.

I mean, for fuck's sake, when you read a story set in the real world, on Earth, do you go around saying "Oh snap! I can't enjoy this story! The setting is so generic!"

The whole "bland setting" argument is kind of dumb. It's not completely unimportant, but people make too much of it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
True. Dwarves, even grumpy scottish type, or elves, even racist blondy type, can be generic, but it does't mean they are boring because of that. They can be boring if there is no conflict, no politics, no tension, if they have no real character. But I don't think that would be a problem for Obsidian to achieve.

Captain Shrek

I don't really feel that we need to worry about the setting as much as the tendency to go for the easiest hack. There was NO need whatsoever in following the races that were in DnD so closely. Still that does not really mean that the rest of the world will resemble Faerun completely.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

I mean, for fuck's sake, when you read a story set in the real world, on Earth, do you go around saying "Oh snap! I can't enjoy this story! The setting is so generic!"

The whole "bland setting" argument is kind of dumb. It's not completely unimportant, but people make too much of it.

your optimism doesn't entirely feel justified

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Poor Codex wanted originality in setting and traditionalism in mechanics. Got vice versa. :(

Spot fucking on, my friend. Although as I've said before, I don't really mind D&D copypasta setting as much as others seems to. For my sake, they could have used FR and I wouldn't care. Both Torment and MotB was made on the foundations of D&D-settings.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
your optimism doesn't entirely feel justified
You don't think Obsidian became better at stories as they continue to go on?

well, yes, i also think that having to eat mud to survive is a big improvement over eating shit, but still... i'd like a proper meal. Plus, i wouldn't say better, i'd say alternate. NWN2 OC? heh... MOTB? Great, and the guy who made it great will apparently cooperate. Alpha protocol? Uh... New Vegas? It was ok. And then, Dungeon Siege 3... well the whole game was pretty whateverish, not just the writing.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
P:E is clearly... no one knows exactly because they spend their time working with excel instead of building an interesting world. :M

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I don't really mind D&D copypasta setting as much as others seems to. For my sake, they could have used FR and I wouldn't care.

That's basically my biggest problem with it. Not that it's generic, but that it's not honest. They just change a couple of names around and pretend it's original. That's just lying to your face right there. No, that's not a fire elemental, that's a burning soul herp derp!!!

Duraframe300

Arcane
I don't really mind D&D copypasta setting as much as others seems to. For my sake, they could have used FR and I wouldn't care.

That's basically my biggest problem with it. Not that it's generic, but that it's not honest. They just change a couple of names around and pretend it's original. That's just lying to your face right there. No, that's not a fire elemental, that's a burning soul herp derp!!!

They're not?....

I mean they said from the beginning its a hommage to the infinity games (D&D in extension) and said that its going to be races with TWISTS. Didn't Rougey do several pages long jokes that its TORN 2?

Ofc, you could argue with that Sawyer quote, but even *truly odd* doesn't exactly doesn't exactly prevent *variants to D&D*

Indranys

Savant
Well the concept arts are good as far as high fantasy standard goes.
I'll never ever like generic DnD setting like Sword Coast, Neverwinter, or whatever.
I just hate super power magical stuffs in my games.
But DnD setting with twists and good amount of originality like Dark Sun and Planescape are really really great.
It's not my cup of tea. Still I hope all the best for them. :salute:
I'll need to see the final product and the following Codex review first before judge anything (W2 too).

~RAGING BONER~

Learned
^ Codex review: "It's Banal. Shit. Boring. Nothing we haven't seen 1000 times already and done better."

"Btw, might I interest you in this 25 year old turn based masterpiece I praise to no end? It will surely make you monocled."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom