Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Project Eternity Kickstarter Update #41: Dwarves and Doors (and a complete lack of proofreading)

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Obsidian is developing this game. Which means they are using Obsidian coders...

Will wait for first patch after the game has been out for a month.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He's talking about how Wasteland 2 has both lock-picking and lock-bashing.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
No game that allows you to bash chests and doors open has SEVERE CONSEQUENCES for doing so.
A good developer would of course try to balance the system by introducing such consequences instead of removing perfectly logical elements that make the game world more reactive to the player's actions and have never even been a problem in the first place. The more I read, the more I lose my interest in this game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A good developer would of course try to balance the system by introducing such consequences instead of removing perfectly logical elements that make the game world more reactive to the player's actions

These kinds of "consequences" mean creating and scripting more content

That takes time and money, and this is a low budget game. Josh's design decisions should also be taken in the context of the desire to make the game's system as robust and self-contained as possible, without having to rely on contextual content-based features to back it up.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Even with millions of dollars he would be against it. Just look at New Vegas.

Captain Shrek

Wait till W2 beats then to it.

Shit.

That game is turn based AND MCA.

Duraframe300

Arcane
"We won't include spells or abilities that make invested skills obsolete?"

That one?

I dunno. First off that response wasn't made in regards to bashing but a wizard blasting/melting/whatever the door open. Secondly that doesn't really exclude bashing if, like others mentioned, there are downsides to it.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
These kinds of "consequences" mean creating and scripting more content
Not really. On page 7 roshan already gave some really good examples of this. Of course, if you did write some quests that took advantage of these mechanics (like a burglary quest where noisy door-bashing could lead to a different outcome than silent lockpicking), all the better.

Josh's design decisions should also be taken in the context of the desire to make the game's system as robust and self-contained as possible, without having to rely on contextual content-based features to back it up.
Gamists gonna gamist.

Captain Shrek

Not really. On page 7 roshan already gave some really good examples of this. Of course, if you did write some quests that took advantage of these mechanics (like a burglary quest where noisy door-bashing could lead to a different outcome than silent lockpicking), all the better.

This is necessary ANYWAY. Otherwise the game would be reduced to Armor vs. Weapon type (which it will be).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"No game that allows you to bash chests and doors open has SEVERE CONSEQUENCES for doing so."

Define 'severe'. Do you think if someone bashes a chest their head should explode? Sorry, moran, but if I take a hammer and bash a wooden chest it should fukkin' break. Ity's fukkin' logical. Yes, if there are emies enarby they should come to look and if there are fragile stuff inside like vials they should have a legit chance of breaking.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Based on material presented in this thread, Volourn is more qualified to be lead designer of PE than Sawyer :P

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Sorry, moran, but if I take a hammer and bash a wooden chest it should fukkin' break."

Only if you are making a simulation of reality, which games aren't. They are games. With rules and stuffs. And since there's no way of including bashing in a way that doesn't make an "open locks" skill obsolete without coming up with all kinds of contrived special case scenarios most people won't care about it's better to forbid it.

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I like the way it worked in Arcanum, where you could bash chests and doors but it would alert nearby guards and turn NPCs hostile if they caught you in the act. Of course, it wasn't perfect, but if you'd improve upon the system so that bashing efficiency would depend on strength, axes and such would only work on wooden containers/doors, bashing containers would have a chance of damaging certain contents and little other than explosives would stand a chance against heavy metal stuff, it would be pretty damn nice and lockpicking would still be viable and useful, if not critical.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Only if you are making a simulation of reality, which games aren't. They are games. With rules and stuffs. And since there's no way of including bashing in a way that doesn't make an "open locks" skill obsolete without coming up with all kinds of contrived special case scenarios most people won't care about it's better to forbid it."

The above quote was deserpately shared by a fukkkin' idiotic tool who is ignorant and should not be allowed to play RPGs. Picking locks is not obselte in games where bashing is also allowed. WHY DO YOU FUKKING LIE!?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom