Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Project "Decline" - general design and storyline

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So... Hrrmph. Lately, I've been weighing my options. I could either buy a house and get married. Or then I could make a game.

For some reason, making a game felt more appealing.

In general - I am outsourcing most of the programming, art and music. Paying from my own pocket to get it the way I want it (and making it very unlikely that this project will ever see the light of the day). Technical details and combat system are a different discussion altogether, but I thought it'd be fun to post some of my early design documents to see what kind of an impression you guys get from them.

Obviously the documentation is not very detailed and is very much on general level and avoiding large spoilers.

Would be cool to hear what kind of ideas the outline brings to you, what you'd like to see in a game like this and weather I've managed to avoid the clichés I wanted (i.e. can you correctly guess the key plot events from the mere outline).

---

Key features
  • Turn-based combat
  • Party of five characters
    • Player created main character
    • 8 distinct recruit-able permanent party members
  • Hexagonal grid
  • Sprites
    • Can be animated
  • Cavalier oblique perspective [not isometric]
  • Low magic setting
  • Strong C&C element
  • Multiple endings
  • Survival
  • Mature themes (not a game for children)
“Grieving rather than grinding”
  • Player characters will grow more skilled as the game progresses
  • Through player choices, the party will become weaker towards the end
  • Progress requires sacrifice
  • Good equipment remains valid to the end of the game
Story outline

For the past 500 years, the Empire has been at peace. The immortal Emperor of mankind has conquered all four corners of the world and through his personal sacrifice brought peace and prosperity to all of the land. One final vestige of unlawfulness remains in the far north.

The player character, after being sentenced for a crime that he may or may not have committed, is convicted to serve the rest of his life on the northern border of the empire. From a freshly whipped recruit, he is to be made into a member of Emperor’s Hands, a ragtag collection of sworn brothers and sisters that enforce the Emperor’s will on the northern wastes.

To cover the large hostile distances of the North, the Hands operate in individual units of five (a Hand). The player is given the role of a leader in such an unit, having to choose four other convicts to serve with him.

After the harsh training period is over, the hand is officially formed in a solemn ceremony. Having sworn their oaths, the five members are bound together through obscure ritual where they consume a vial of mysterious liquid (the blood of the Emperor) and subsequently lose their consciousness.

As the newly sworn members of Emperor’s Hands rise from slumber the following morning, four of them wake up realizing that their oath has become the final words that will ever leave their lips. From that point on, their leader - now named “the Voice of the Hand” will be the one to speak for all of them.

To offset their muteness, the Hand develops an unique bond, gaining the ability to converse telepathically to each other. Besides retaining the ability to speak, the Voice also gains the ability to draw power from the Emperor himself. Wielding the power of Emperor allows him perform magical acts granting healing and protection on the Hand and bringing fiery destruction upon their foes.

The newly formed Hand is to join the rest of the sworn brothers, patrolling the wastes and keeping the Empire safe from harm.

Events in the game

Initially the Hand is given simple tasks to perform. They will be temporarily joining other, more experienced Hands on excursions to further away from the border. Through those quests, the player gets more concrete understanding on the reality of the North and what it means to be a Hand of the Emperor.

Eventually player’s Hand will receive personal tasks that take them deeper in the wastes. On those journeys, a large focus is brought on survival aspects. Player has to set up camp, forage/hunt for supplies and ensure safety and cover for the night.

As player completes quests, becomes more familiar with the gameplay mechanics and strengthens his party, larger events start unfolding in the game.

Previously visited locations face permanent changes. Travel becomes much more hazardous, supplies more sparse and the weather consistently worse. The player and all of the Hands in the North will be right in the middle of a violent storm of changes. The player’s Hand will travel deeper North to uncover the true desperation of the of situation.

After the final showdown in the North, the battered remnants of the players Hand can travel to the heart of the Empire and confront the Emperor himself with the truth that they have uncovered.

Features in more detail

C&C element and endings

The game doesn’t aim to become too large or too lengthy. The size has to be contained on a level where the game can be completed in a reasonable time, but without sacrificing the depth in the game events.

Player visits a few of the game locations in the early phase of the game. On those visits, he can complete smaller quests in several different ways (or ignore/miss them altogether). The result of those side-quests (and the main quest that brought you there) will come rather clear as you revisit the location.

The game world faces a radical change on the second portion of the game, which enables faster results for your choices. Things decline radically and rapidly, leading into extreme outcomes.

It is entirely possible to miss some sides of the story altogether. Should you not pursue certain leads as the opportunity comes, you may be left with a completely different impression than you would have if you’d chose to ask the right question at the right time. Sometimes story paths are mutually exclusive (“you have only the time to ask one question”).

There is no black and white morality in the game. The story is crafted so that the player can misunderstand and misjudge characters. On one playthrough you can judge a character cruel and evil, while on another you’ll see reason why he behaves in the way he does. And seemingly “good” characters may lie and mislead you. Even if you know the complete character biography, it will be hard to categorize them.

The aim is to crate a short, contained story with memorable characters and events.

Progress through sacrifice

The themes of loss and sacrifice are not only story elements, but are deeply woven to the core gameplay as well.

The player will become strong, he will learn to utilize his characters skills and resources -- only to have them taken away or rendered powerless. You have to learn to cope with less, to innovate in desperate situations to find a way to survive despite the odds.

Magic in the player’s disposal is all-powerful tool. In the most challenging situations, it presents the shortcut to victory. But at the same time it also comes with a great cost. For the first time player, it may very well be that if he makes to the final portion of the game, he will already have lost all of his party and permanently crippled his character as well. Though on that path, it is very likely that the idea that there could be a final combat encounter (or the characters involved) will not even occur to him.

Magic system

There are no ready made spells. You simply combine elements and visualize what you wish to happen. Only the Voices of Hands can draw upon the power of the Emperor. In general, everything magical comes from the Emperor himself.

Spells consume the caster. The stronger the magic, the more difficult it is to control the power of it. Small spells only make you fatigued, while larger ones come with permanent effects.

The Voice can also draw power from the other members of the Hand. Every party member brings something unique to the spell that is being cast. Linking the spell with other party members also makes it more powerful and more costly. When linked, the greatest exertion is forced upon the linked members instead of the Voice.

The losses from powerful magic use range from permanent loss of health and stats traits to even death.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So, Fallout's Tactics system + Warhammer's God-Emperor + War of the Thrones's Night Watch? :lol:

I like the idea of progress through sacrifice a lot, and focusing on a short but memmorable campaign, but ATM it sounds more like a codexian fanfic than a proper game. Still, Fallout started as saving your girlfriend by time-travelling with dinossaurs, so who knows? :p

(i.e. can you correctly guess the key plot events from the mere outline).
They head north to fight X, only to learn that the real enemy is / corrupted the Emperor and led the country into chaos? Knowing that you go through villages towards the enemy, but in the end come back for something makes this a little predictable.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It is entirely possible that the end result will face as radical change as Fallout's did, as my first priority is to have a good enough engine with balanced & fun combat/magic system where I can bash in some heads and melt some faces.

I am seriously considering adding romances, just to make the fans of Biowarian game design bleed. The whole "kill your waifu or lose the game" -angle is so tantalising.

Can anyone guess what I am planning for the females? (i.e. where they come from and what kind of a role they will play)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Is it more like "I plan to do this" or have you actually been in contact with people to outsource this to? It can be a pretty difficult task, I wager.

Always good to see someone ready to take ambitious steps to make their dream a reality.

Just some things for you to think about (if you haven't already):

- I was going to criticise the idea of mute companions but the idea of telepathic interaction with the player character put aside some of those worries. Still, I hope you have had a good hard think about something as dramatic as all four starting companions who are mute. Consider the implications throughout the game and how you will need to adjust all situations so that they don't rely on any companion's ability to speak. No banter between them (presumably telepathy goes only to the PC?), no participation in conversations with other NPCs, no trial scenes, things like that. Think it through before you do something that dramatic when it will have little practical reward.

- The drinking of the blood vial scenario made the story have a strong Dragon Age feel to it. I mean, not that it is a particularly bad concept, but the comparison will hang over your game for a long time to come if you go with it, so keep that in mind.

- Hopefully you've got an explanation for why someone is convicted of a crime and sent away for punishment whilst simultaneously being recruited into a special group dedicated to the Emperor. Is it plausible for the Emperor to send rag-tags if he genuinely wanted to enforce his will upon this last corner of the world?

- You mentioned 8 characters. Will the other 4 potential companions be mute as well?

- At this point, your best bet would be building up the setting considerably. It is a relatively easy thing to do without the need for any specific skills or money. The more you do now, the more it will pay off later.

- Think hard about the magic system. When magic is in a game, it is almost entirely because it is simply fun to play with. If it is too far aligned towards damaging effects, then you risk making it a weak point and a pointless exercise.

haba said:
Can anyone guess what I am planning for the females? (i.e. where they come from and what kind of a role they will play)

My guess is they come from the kitchen initially, and they end up playing various tasteful roles during the game.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Could be cool :thumbsup: I like the strong survival elements and the unconventional approach to magic - but it'll take work to make those concepts playable.

I'm sure you know that concepts tend to change a lot when they hit the road (code), as they should - and you won't get too attached to any specific details - just throw them at the wall and see what sticks.

You didn't specify how many people will be involved, but I'm sure you also know that the real amount of work will be much bigger than expected (see: pretty much any indie story ever). Now take those adjusted expectations and triple them :)

And keep the hivemind up to date with details :salute:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Is it more like "I plan to do this" or have you actually been in contact with people to outsource this to? It can be a pretty difficult task, I wager.

In my day job I outsource development and work with vendors, so it seems pretty natural.

I have one candidate already, but he isn't as experienced as I'd prefer. So if someone is out out of moniez and would like to work on a game for a month or two, maybe we can talk.

You didn't specify how many people will be involved, but I'm sure you also know that the real amount of work will be much bigger than expected (see: pretty much any indie story ever). Now take those adjusted expectations and triple them.

Some of my favourite shareware RPGs were made in less than a year of part-time development, so I'll try to keep it to that level. I can draw, make music and program myself as well, but actually outsourcing those will force me to stick to a some kind of reasonable limits instead of making this Grimoire 2.0

- I was going to criticise the idea of mute companions but the idea of telepathic interaction with the player character put aside some of those worries. Still, I hope you have had a good hard think about something as dramatic as all four starting companions who are mute. Consider the implications throughout the game and how you will need to adjust all situations so that they don't rely on any companion's ability to speak. No banter between them (presumably telepathy goes only to the PC?), no participation in conversations with other NPCs, no trial scenes, things like that. Think it through before you do something that dramatic when it will have little practical reward.

It is kind of a way to pay homage to oldschool RPGs. Your party members will be able to communicate with each other (to what degree will be decided later on), but in the outside world they are completely reliant on the PC. This can provide interesting scenarios on its own.

Party members are a secondary priority for me, so if necessary, this also provides me with a valid excuse for the lack of barter and party interaction.

- The drinking of the blood vial scenario made the story have a strong Dragon Age feel to it. I mean, not that it is a particularly bad concept, but the comparison will hang over your game for a long time to come if you go with it, so keep that in mind.

But is it actually blood or something else...? The rationale is that in the game world there is no knowledge of magic or science!. There is no religion outside emperor worship either, so for the common riff-raff, anything magical is explained as "the Emperor did it". Thought about having their tongues cut out as well, but magix is more through method (you can still communicate even without a tongue).

- Hopefully you've got an explanation for why someone is convicted of a crime and sent away for punishment whilst simultaneously being recruited into a special group dedicated to the Emperor. Is it plausible for the Emperor to send rag-tags if he genuinely wanted to enforce his will upon this last corner of the world?

The empire isn't as well off as the citizens are lead to believe. In this way it works similarly as with the Night Watch - their importance is more propaganda for the members than what the outside world actually sees. The Hands do serve a purpose, but it may be quite different from the one they themselves believe in.

- You mentioned 8 characters. Will the other 4 potential companions be mute as well?

I'm still on the fence about this. Playing with the idea that you'd be able to replenish your party in case you lose characters in the early game, though this would work against some others plans I have. They'd probably still have to take the ceremony and become mutes.

- At this point, your best bet would be building up the setting considerably. It is a relatively easy thing to do without the need for any specific skills or money. The more you do now, the more it will pay off later.

One problem with the setting that I see myself is that the north is quite desolate place. There isn't that much potential for variety in environments, especially towards the end game.

For the lore, I'd rather go through the route of hinting a lot but telling a little. I.e. there are stories about past empires, the Emperor's struggles as he conquered the world and the sacrifices he had to make, but those would be mostly fragments here and there.

- Think hard about the magic system. When magic is in a game, it is almost entirely because it is simply fun to play with. If it is too far aligned towards damaging effects, then you risk making it a weak point and a pointless exercise.

During the early game you will probably be able to experiment with "safe" magic quite freely. Later in the game the bar will be raised, either forcing you to be real good with the game or then drawing more power (and facing the effects).

haba said:

My guess is they come from the kitchen initially, and they end up playing various tasteful roles during the game.

:brofist:

I reckon I'll be labelled as a misogynist . But playing with a male only squad is still hardmode+

Онега

Trying too hard to get banned
Queued
(and making it very unlikely that this project will ever see the light of the day)
Why even start if its not gonna happen? Rhetorical question.
I do not like this "journey is the fun part" attitude. Its like starting a marathon knowing full well that those stubby legs are not gonna carry you more than 500 meters. But its was fun!

but I thought it'd be fun to post some of my early design documents
Ah, its a "post your design docs" thread! Well, carry on!

In my design docs there are hexes too! And exclusively sacrificial magic, surprisingly.

I think the muteness is tacky.
Player has to set up camp, forage/hunt for supplies and ensure safety and cover for the night.
Sounds like a fluff intro to banal shit boring grind.

The stronger the magic, the more difficult it is to control the power of it. Small spells only make you fatigued, while larger ones come with permanent effects.
While interesting on paper, leads to a negative feedback loop in practice if not modified somehow. Hard to do well imo.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
(and making it very unlikely that this project will ever see the light of the day)
Why even start if its not gonna happen? Rhetorical question.
I do not like this "journey is the fun part" attitude. Its like starting a marathon knowing full well that those stubby legs are not gonna carry you more than 500 meters. But its was fun!

I have a long track record of doing the things I loudly claim never to do. Don't ask me why, that's just the way it works.

I've in total three different game designs that I've been toying with for the past ten years now. For two of them, there have been some prototypes and proofs of concept, but nothing serious.

I figure ten years is about enough, so I've come out of the closet IRL, formed a company (for tax reasons) and seriously started looking for programmer. Posting on the 'dex is a natural part of the process.

Ideally I'd find someone with a half-finished engine that fits my needs and a burning desire to finish a game, but oh well...

Player has to set up camp, forage/hunt for supplies and ensure safety and cover for the night.
Sounds like a fluff intro to banal shit boring grind.

My damage system will be a bit different, most wounds being lethal and healing being inefficient. Part of the challenge will come from having a part of the party incapacitated and another part from various status effects related to their physical state (starving, tired, freezing).

I don't want to make it too grindy, so setting camp will be more or less automated process that just requires you to plan the timing. I reckon I'll also make up some fluff reason why your party doesn't need to sleep and eat as often as normal people do to make it more tolerable.

The stronger the magic, the more difficult it is to control the power of it. Small spells only make you fatigued, while larger ones come with permanent effects.
While interesting on paper, leads to a negative feedback loop in practice if not modified somehow. Hard to do well imo.

Haven't seen this in a (non pnp) RPG, so most probably I'm digging my own grave here.

The general idea is that enemies do not scale to player level. So while the player learns to better estimate dangerous situations, utilize the terrain and the party members skills in the most efficient way, the additional challenge comes from handicaps that you essentially cause yourself.

If everything else fails, I'll just make magic more of a limited use tool.

grotsnik

Arcane
If the companions are of secondary importance/you don't have much interest in interaction between them, have you not considered just having full party creation, with one 'hero' PC to do the talking? Building a party containing a Murderer, a Thief, a Rapist, or a Wrongly Accused Innocent, a disgraced soldier, a branded liar, etc, all with appropriate stats could be quite a lot of fun.

Онега

Trying too hard to get banned
Queued

Haven't seen this in a (non pnp) RPG, so most probably I'm digging my own grave here.

The general idea is that enemies do not scale to player level. So while the player learns to better estimate dangerous situations, utilize the terrain and the party members skills in the most efficient way, the additional challenge comes from handicaps that you essentially cause yourself.

If everything else fails, I'll just make magic more of a limited use tool.

Well, Panzer General (teh best vidya of all time tm) has it. Its similar enough in principle.

It has a closed system with all your units and a feedback loop with how much presitge you make per victory or how many units you lose.

Typically you land in the boring positive feedback loop, you gain one good victory, get lots of presitge and maybe even prototype units, the next map becomes easier per se, and it becomes easier to gain another good victory.

This kind of systems tend to stabilize themself in one direction (positive) or another (negative).

Negative example: I had a game collapse on hard difficulty in Fantasy General with Mordra, a hot but shitty commander.
I just played too recklessly and there is a little bump in difficulty when you switch continents, so I switched and I could not beat the next map on time without huge losses. And if I did, I would not even have to try the next...

Or take XCOM. Lose 1 transporter incl crew etc and you have a little problem, the game becomes harder, if you cant play the game. Its just I prolly could ironman it with a single soldierdude... while in PG you cant, no matter what.

Or JA2, lose enough money and you get less mercs, etc.

Similar things happen in any closed system. Like in your game if the negative effects are really permanent.

You dont see those types of mechanics because "rpg" "games" today are just running simulators like Shitout New Vegas, Mass Defect, Bloodlines, anything 3d, really, are not really closed systems and there is no feedback loop worth mentioning. They are banal shit boring running simulators with a childish story and retarded characters. HATE. Same thing will happen to Wasteland 2...

If you ever make this game, please add a time limit to combat, not because I like time limits but because its the bestest way to compensate for crappy AI.

I find that there are 2 dead simple ways to beat AI today. Thats turtling and concentrating firepower.

Turtling is a general anti-AI behavior because the AI is hopelessly unable to cope with it by forming some kind of an effective attack plan. Time limits force the player to move.

Concentrating firepower is just a generally ideal tactic to take less damage per time, 2. degree diff equation etc pp...

Combine those 2 for maximum effect...

With timelimits players will have to solve the puzzle of combat in a relatively creative way and take losses/sacrifices according to your balancing.

Now in your game, you dont have a problem with balancing encounters. You play it yourself and see how interesting it was. But you do have a problem with creating and balancing your feedback loop because your party cant lose npcs since there are only like 8 of them and you cant restore the negative effects and you cant just restart the game with a narrative. You could say, no problem, players will just have to deal with what they made of the game. But those funky feedback loops tend to push the systems (difficulty in this case) into a stable position of either "too easy" or "shiiiiiiit". Too easy is bad imo (i dont believe in casual storyfaggotry in games) and "shiiiiiit" is bad too since even solid players can land in those situations, even without noticing and cant fix it anymore. I restarted my game of Fantasy General with Mordra on medium difficulty and landed straight in a positive, way too easy feedback loop...

I wrote all this stream of consciousness stuff because in my design I wanted sacrificial magic too and couldnt find how to deal with it but I have not thought much about it either.

Curunír

Novice
Well, Panzer General (teh best vidya of all time tm) has it. Its similar enough in principle.

It has a closed system with all your units and a feedback loop with how much presitge you make per victory or how many units you lose.

Typically you land in the boring positive feedback loop, you gain one good victory, get lots of presitge and maybe even prototype units, the next map becomes easier per se, and it becomes easier to gain another good victory.

This kind of systems tend to stabilize themself in one direction (positive) or another (negative).

Both cases you describe are kinds of positive feedback, just in different directions. Negative feedback would be, if the game would get harder the more you win or easier the more you lose. Nonetheless, I think the positive feedback observation is a very important one for game design and nearly all computer games exhibit it, quite often to the detriment of balancing and thus player enjoyment of the game.

Panzer General is indeed a prime offender. The first few times I tried it, I failed miserably during the earlier missions, usually giving up during the Lowlands scenario. Once I got hang of some mechanics I didn't fully understand before (particularly entrenchment / rugged defense) I blasted through the scenarios with increasing ease at least from North Africa onwards, finally giving up on the Moscow scenario after a very easy Kiev one.

Since some time now I have tried to find some way to incorporate a negative feedback mechanism (that is, difficulty adjusting to player skill) into a strategy game or RPG design which doesn't feel contrived and/or unfair to more successful players. Can't say I have made much progress on it, except for the idea of heavily branching missions/quests, where failing leads to easier quests which culminate in a less satisfactory ending and repeatedly winning leads to harder missions which leads to more satisfactory endings, bonus content (revelations about the game world, unexpected twists, etc.) or the like.

Dunno... Anyone has any ideas on the matter?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Since some time now I have tried to find some way to incorporate a negative feedback mechanism (that is, difficulty adjusting to player skill) into a strategy game or RPG design which doesn't feel contrived and/or unfair to more successful players. Can't say I have made much progress on it, except for the idea of heavily branching missions/quests, where failing leads to easier quests which culminate in a less satisfactory ending and repeatedly winning leads to harder missions which leads to more satisfactory endings, bonus content (revelations about the game world, unexpected twists, etc.) or the like.

Dunno... Anyone has any ideas on the matter?

I've toyed with the branching questline with another project, but I wouldn't go with it in a real RPG (that one is more SLG/RPG -hybrid). At least no in the same extent.

In relation to this topic the biggest question for me is the concept of failure as a game mechanic. Let me give an example.

At some point of the game, there is the clichéd "someone needs to stay behind and hold the enemy" -scenario.

Usually, this is presented via static slides/video where the player is left with no choice on the matter.

I'd rather make it so that the player actually makes the decision, not the game. The situation is the same - you have very little chance of making out alive unless someone stays behind. So now the player can:

a) Stay and fight (and die repeatedly)​
b) Pick who dies​
c) Stay and fight and win, if they have learned enough about the game and made the right choices​

Ideally, I wouldn't represent this in story mode but in actual game mission.

Of course, the problematic part comes from the human nature. How to make the player accept the losses, especially when they are presented the opportunity of still winning despite the odds? Looking at AoD, players would spend hours trying to beat the fight they are not supposed to beat, eventually rage quitting and spewing vitriol at the shitty game. Or then they'd load an earlier save/reroll a new character. Which means that they'd miss the content that I intended them to see.

Could take the player freedom away by making it a selection box instead of a real fight, but that is less elegant. Maybe I can really make it ham-fisted and obvious to the player "if we stay we're all gonna DIE!" [you party too weak, foo] / "lets stay and fight!" [you have a chance].

Essentially my idea relies on branching storyline with alternative endings. Depending on how strong the player is, some troops might be called in, some characters might take desperate chances etc. Ideally even the "bad" endings would be satisfactory and challenging - just different from the ones where you have a full party in the best possible shape and wielding the few magical artefacts around in the game.

Durwyn

Prophet
Wait a couple of months and kickstart it. Premise is great, somehow it reminds me of mini-scale Black Company.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
That's a nice design doc, how about start a Kickstarter for it

For the design docs? That'd certainly be unique...

Heh heh.

The idea is to produce something concrete (a combat prototype). By then we'll have a better idea on the scope and the resources required.

--it reminds me of mini-scale Black Company.

My copy of The Books of The North has plenty of bookmarks, just like my Malazan and Bernard Cornwell books do ;-)

Sounds cool but frankly there is nothing of substance here. Anyone can make a story and talk about themes and shit.

Do you have any plans for the combat system? Which?

AoD, IMO, was dreadfully boring, partially because of the one man combat but also because the input from the player was mostly about choosing the correct attack and then just execute it the next ten times. What are your combat system gonna do about that, if anything? And of course making up interesting and balanced spells is an issue of its own.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Do you have any plans for the combat system? Which?

AoD, IMO, was dreadfully boring, partially because of the one man combat but also because the input from the player was mostly about choosing the correct attack and then just execute it the next ten times. What are your combat system gonna do about that, if anything? And of course making up interesting and balanced spells is an issue of its own.

I'll have a separate thread for combat mechanics later.

Currently I am still working on pen and paper, trying out various rulesets and testing them with simple math operations. I'm not aiming for too complex ruleset, but we'll see.

Basic stuffies and thingies:
- Cover
- Terrain
- Zone of Control
- Facing Direction Matters

You can't tank sacrificing permanent HP, you want to avoid injury. Fight are generally short. More focus on timing and placement. Get winded and isolated and you are dead. Life is cheap.

Basically my starting point comes more from wargaming rulesets, simplified for the skirmishing scope.

A lot depends the AI functionality, so things might change if those issues are not solved. Or then there will be mainly hand crafted semi-scripted encounters.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Well... I went to Atlantic City and lost it big...

Naaah. I've had some stuffies and thingies IRL that have distracted me from everything. We had some rather fruitful talks with a certain Codexer, but didn't get into practical implementation (mostly because of me).

I have the basic business side of it all mostly covered, with a shell company in the US for Kickstarter if/once that seems feasible.

A lot of the "soft stuff" is constantly shaping up, but the "hard" part of it is faaaaaar away.

Once I get certain things sorted out, I'll focus on this again. So if AoD is coming out on Thursday, I'll be done on Sunday. Or the Monday next week...

Any leads for idle coders and concept artists are more than welcome.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Nice to have a dream, but... Rather then big bang doing it, maybe sketch up an alpha tech demo first to grasp the complexity. Then do small iterations adding new features from there.
That way you can keep pressure at bay and pretty much do it alone. Maybe something even comes out of it.:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom