Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Latelistener

Arcane
I know this is wishful thinking but I still want to dream.
The game's core has been already finalized. The only ones who can fuck it up at this point are Arkane themselves.
And I don't think there's anything "hardcore" in it. It is a console game, after all.

Doktor Best

Arcane
A lot of triple A titles sold poorly this year, including Mankind Divided. Publishers are trying to make a poker face about it, while making discounts like 33% on Dishonored 2 on Steam a couple of days ago (literally within a month after the release).

I wish I knew what's going on (maybe the shit quality of those titles has something to do with it), but their "solution" to the problem will only make the situation worse. I mean, what's point of buying something on release, when you can get it with 75% off after 3-6 months?
The market is just oversaturated. Indie games or discounted games from 1-5 years ago do not exist in an isolated space, they are directly in competition with the new titles so people now simply wait for a sale if they do not really really want to play a newly releaed game right now.

Partly to blame is the lacking advance in gamedesign. Shooters, rpgs, action adventures and strategy games released in 2016 play pretty much like those that got released a few years ago.

Just look at the usual popamole fest like Assassins Creed for example. There are like 6 games now and they all play the same. Why should people bother buying a 7th repetitive entry?

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Building Prey’s Interconnected World

prey_5F00_crewquarterstheater_5F00_dec16.jpg

Setting matters. With few exceptions, the most memorable contemporary games are set in interesting locations with their own sense of history. Would BioShock have worked if Rapture hadn’t been so exquisitely crafted? The Elders Scrolls games have each built rich and lore-filled worlds that flesh out the day-to-day lives of its inhabitants. And even if we wouldn’t want to live there, Grand Theft Auto V’s Los Santos presents a vision of a west-coast city/nightmare that’s oftentimes uncomfortably close to reality. Arkane Studios’ upcoming sci-fi game Prey features a meticulously designed and researched space station, Talos I, which provides a plausible backdrop for a bizarre new threat.

Prey is set in an alternate history, in which the Russian and United States governments put their differences aside following an encounter with an alien foe. You can watch this video to get a better sense of where our timelines split (big change: the aliens). The station evolved over several decades, depending on its purpose at the time. Initially, it was merely a prison to contain these new aliens, the Typhon. From there, the U.S. government took over fully, building a research station around the core. Nothing came of those early efforts, aside from another deadly incident between scientists and the Typhon. At that point, the government decided to cut its losses, and shuttered the project.

Years later, a corporation called TranStar was founded. It took over the station, which was idly orbiting the moon. Thanks to advances in neuroscience, the company was able to finally harness the Typhon, taking advantage of the aliens’ unique body and brain composition. (For a more in-depth look at these creatures, take a look at our feature). Eventually, TranStar developed a product called Neuromods, which restructure a person’s brain to enable them to do things that they couldn’t before – such as learning to play a musical instrument or speak a foreign language, or even have greater strength or endurance.

These Neuromods are a big business back on Earth, and the corporation has reaped in the rewards. Our adventure in Prey is centered around Talos I, but thanks to the work of Arkane’s art and design teams, players can pick up a variety of clues about TranStar’s place in the greater world, as well as what life was like on the station before yet another catastrophe struck.

You invariably have to suspend some amount of disbelief when you’re playing a game with aliens in it. Still, Prey’s designers felt that it was important for players to feel as though they were exploring a place that felt real and adhered to its own internal logic. That meant that Arkane put a lot of effort into designing Talos I with an eye toward believability and functionality – even as players battled aliens that could shapeshift into garbage cans.

“[We] spend a lot of time thinking about, ‘Hey guys it doesn’t make any sense that someone has to walk this far to do this,’” says lead designer Ricardo Bare. "'There would be an elevator here or a staircase here. It sounds dumb, but this place doesn’t have a bathroom. Where do these people pee? They have to hold it for 12 hours and then ride an elevator back down to the bottom of the space station?'" Bare says that Arkane did its homework in making sure that the place felt like a fully staffed location, and that the people didn’t just teleport away once their shift was over. “We know where everybody’s sleeping quarters are, where they eat, where they work.”

prey_5F00_taloslobby1_5F00_dec16.jpg

Players can see some of that attention to detail themselves, by interacting with security terminals throughout the station. Employees wear tracking devices during their deployment on Talos I, and some of those are still active. If you follow these electronic pings, you might be able to find a survivor or the remains of an unfortunate victim – as well as information that could lead to valuable items.

There are other clues to pick up on as well. Bare says that players can explore the offices of TranStar’s sales and marketing teams, and optionally learn more about how the Neuromods are brought back to Earth. Knowing the security protocols for transporting these valuable items isn’t a huge detail, but Arkane says it’s important that they know how all of it works. (Incidentally, shuttles come every week, and the Neuromods are put in attache cases that are handcuffed to an envoy.)

Having that kind of fictional shuttle schedule lets the team work out other things, too. The Talos I staff grows some of its own food and recycles as much oxygen and water is possible (in treatment areas you can explore), but it’s not a completely closed loop. Other shuttles arrive with supplemental food and additional resources to keep the staff content. TranStar employees are on rotations between 18-24 months, so the company works to ensure that the accommodations are as luxurious as possible. That means creating relaxing spaces such as a plant-filled arboretum, or outfitting the living areas with high-end materials. Those lifelines have been severed by the time you enter the picture, but you can discover records and communications that further outline how things ran before.

TranStar depended on keeping its employees safe, and also keeping the Typhon alive. Without the aliens, after all, it would be out of business. That delicate balance – and a general tendency toward a more grounded reality – affects the weapons that players will be able to use during the game.

“You’re not going to find a dead soldier and find a bazooka,” Bare says. “Instead, there are security officers that have handguns or maybe tasers, and in case of emergencies maybe there’s a security closet with a shotgun. All of those are made by the fabricators on the space station, so they’re not the best constructed things.” These weapons have a disposable quality to them, which is a nice in-universe way to have them break down for gameplay-balance purposes.

The security teams took a nonlethal approach whenever possible, leading to the use of things such as riot foam and tasers. The foam in particular has other interesting uses, such as sealing up leaking pipes or as a quick handhold for reaching a higher point. You can see how that works in action during this gameplay demo, and also get a look at Talos I in general. The station itself is approximately the size of The Empire State Building, so this is only a small section of it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/12/09/building-preys-interconnected-world.aspx

Machocruz

Arcane
System Shock 2 didn't have a threat ring or enemy health bars floating on the screen. This shows a lack of conviction in the immersive sim philosophy. I doubt this game will have sophisticated sound propagation when you turn the threat ring off, just like Dishonored didn't become Thief when you turned off all its crap. The way AAA games are designed now is diametrically opposed to the kind of immersion they seek and tout.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
System Shock 2 didn't have a threat ring or enemy health bars floating on the screen. This shows a lack of conviction in the immersive sim philosophy. I doubt this game will have sophisticated sound propagation when you turn the threat ring off, just like Dishonored didn't become Thief when you turned off all its crap. The way AAA games are designed now is diametrically opposed to the kind of immersion they seek and tout.

I don't know, I think some some sort of threat ring is unavoidable even if it could be more subtle. Not even a great sound propagation system would give you enough feedback in a battle against invisible aliens throwing random shit at you, teleporting shadows and blurry spiders that can morph into any object to flank you.

Also it's been a long time since I played it but I believe SS2 had thoses enemy health bars.

ss2_screenshot2.jpg

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
Hey, so about which page did the trend and consensus change from POPAMOLE SHIT to BABIES CAN FLY? Codex works in mysterious ways

Machocruz

Arcane
I don't know, I think some some sort of threat ring is unavoidable even if it could be more subtle. Not even a great sound propagation system would give you enough feedback in a battle against invisible aliens throwing random shit at you, teleporting shadows and blurry spiders that can morph into any object to flank you.

Maybe this is the case, but I'm thinking why create opponents like that if their unique set of skills aren't going to be taken advantage of to challenge the player? I suppose that the player-character is not a normal (meaning, no super powers) human so he can sense invisible monsters and this is the best way to present that (I would have gone with something like vision modes, ala Metroid Prime), but then that kind of defeats the point have having invisible enemies besides "it's cool." It's like hey your enemies are master ninjas who can cut a man down before he can blink... but you play as Wolverine. Will have to see if they create any unique challenges with this or if it's all cosmetic and the aliens powers are completely nullified by hand-holding or your own powers.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Japanese interview with some new details:

- Radiation sickness
- You can upgrade your suit and it has its own integrity level. 100% suit integrity gives you extra defense, 0% integrity causes air leak in space.
- Abilities: remote physics/fire/electricity manipulation, mind control...
- About interaction with other survivors (10:28)

Lazing Dirk

Arcane
Eagerly awaiting the day someone adds a mod to let you polymorph from the start, along with a big floppy dildo next to the starting area, so you can try and flop your way through the whole game as a stealthy sex toy.

tormund

Arcane
It seems almost blasphemous to do so, but I think I might actually rate this higher than Ghost Recon : Wildlands in terms of how much I want it. :negative: :decline:
Your posts bring great shame on Ubibros everywhere. First you raise your voice against blessed sir Kay's sermon on the woeful inadequacy of 60$ pricetag, and now this... Your perfidy and your blasphemy know no bounds!

Latelistener

Arcane
Eagerly awaiting the day someone adds a mod to let you polymorph from the start, along with a big floppy dildo next to the starting area, so you can try and flop your way through the whole game as a stealthy sex toy.
Lonely female scientists probably won't let you finish the game.

MasPingon

Arcane
This game had terrible marketing and to give it "Prey" title is one of the most embarrassing PR decisions ever made in gaming industry. But it's actually shaping up to be interesting.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More previews are coming out.

Exclusive Prey Screen Gallery: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/12/12/exclusive-prey-screen-gallery.aspx

Prey channels the spirit of System Shock: http://www.pcgamer.com/prey-channels-the-spirit-of-system-shock/

Prey is the evolution of Dishonored, and the sequel BioShock always deserved (but never got): http://www.gamesradar.com/prey-is-t...equel-bioshock-always-deserved-but-never-got/ :lol:

Preview: Prey: http://stevivor.com/2016/12/preview-prey/

Prey has evolved through “happy accidents” caused by creative linking of systems and powers: http://stevivor.com/2016/12/prey-evolved-happy-accidents-caused-creative-linking-systems-powers/

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Japanese interview with some new details:

- Radiation sickness
- You can upgrade your suit and it has its own integrity level. 100% suit integrity gives you extra defense, 0% integrity causes air leak in space.
- Abilities: remote physics/fire/electricity manipulation, mind control...
- About interaction with other survivors (10:28)

Bald guy is speaking about Outland.

MV5BMGI2YWEyMGYtYWUwNy00MzkxLWE2MjMtMzUxMzhkZDFkMTI4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,685,1000_AL_.jpg

Ash

Arcane
Prey is the evolution of Dishonored, and the sequel BioShock always deserved (but never got): http://www.gamesradar.com/prey-is-t...equel-bioshock-always-deserved-but-never-got/ :lol:

:negative:

Retarded Games Radar writer said:
BioShock never realised its full potential. It couldn’t, not even with two, entirely different sequels. The reason, ironically, is that BioShock nailed it the first time. It’s one of those rare games that delivered everything it could be – contemporarily at least - in an utterly complete form, in terms of both game design and artistic intent, on its first iteration. When a piece of work does that, the conversation is immediately over. There’s nowhere for it to go. Not for a while, at least.

:retarded:

Prey has evolved through “happy accidents” caused by creative linking of systems and powers: http://stevivor.com/2016/12/prey-evolved-happy-accidents-caused-creative-linking-systems-powers/

Yeah, looks like another overpowered magic gimmick simulator.

There hasn't been a worthy Immersive Sim since Arx Fatalis back in 2002.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom