Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arkane PREY - Arkane's immersive coffee cup transformation sim - now with Mooncrash roguelike mode DLC

Siel

Arcane
Patron
So I asked about breaking your legs and weapon degradation and Arkane answered both.
They've removed both because it was too 'hardcore' which is pretty decline to me.

They said they're still discussing it and might make it an option after the release.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Yeah, and isn't Fallout 4's Survival mode much more "hardcore"?

I get the impression Bethesda/Zenimax is even more picky about "hardcore-ness" when it comes to non-BGS games. Because the lack of Toddy Howardy Power, I guess.

Latelistener

Arcane
So I asked about breaking your legs and weapon degradation and Arkane answered both.
They've removed both because it was too 'hardcore' which is pretty decline to me.
When you're waiting for a more or less proper damaging model aka Deus Ex, and they even remove traumas because "it was too hardcore"

:dead:

Latelistener

Arcane
Bethesda partners with AMD to optimize games for Ryzen and Vega

amd_prey_vega.jpg

Ash

Arcane

They said they're still discussing it and might make it an option after the release.

rating_shittydog.gif

..one has to respect their honesty though, at least. Most devs would beat around the bush to avoid pissing off fans/the old school/those with standards to keep sales potential optimal.

Last edited:

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
One of the main goals of this long-term strategic partnership is to "accelerate the implementation" of Vulkan [...]

Regardless of how the game turns out, this is a good development and will hopefully influence other studios in their choice of graphics API.

Dishonored 2 would be in dire need for some Vulkan support.

Latelistener

Arcane
Dishonored 2 would be in dire need for some Vulkan support.
We need to know wtf happened there in the first place. There was another id Tech game that was wrapped in DirectX (Evil Within), and the performance was shitty as well. Is this because the engine works bad with DirectX because it was made to work primarily with OpenGL, or it's just because of shitty programming?

Moreover, will Vulkan actually give some performance boost? Generally it performed worse than DX11 (but much better than OpenGL), but we haven't actually seen a single game with proper Vulkan implementation, maybe aside from Doom, and it doesn't have DX11 for comparison.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
The Evil Within used some kind of weird Direct3D wrapper due to AMD's shitty OpenGL drivers.

But the Void engine is a weird creature. Part id Tech 5, part idTech 6, part own tech. Let's wait if they got an announcement at PAX East.

Latelistener

Arcane
id Tech 6 with Vulkan should have a bright future though. At least I'm not worried about MachineGames (former Starbreeze) and id Software projects.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
When asked what games influenced Prey, it can lead to a long and complex answer — with a lot of references that cascade out into yet more references. So, here’s what it would look like from our perspective: Prey is a combination of Dishonored for the systems and simulation, Arx Fatalis for the structure and crafting, and System Shock for the “RPGness” and the mood.

Now, it’s worth noting that Dishonored was influenced by Thief and Deus Ex, which itself was influenced by Ultima Underworld and Ultima VII, etc.

So there you have it. Our influences are Looking Glass and Origin from back in the 90s, but I guess only gamers that are older than 30 have even heard of these companies and their games.

Developers and fans refer to that family of games as “immersive sims.” It’s a style of game that sits at the intersection of two other genres: FPS and RPG.

But what makes the immersive sim more than just “FPS meets RPG” is that the game development philosophy behind it relies a lot on simulation. As many systems and outcomes as possible are simulated and layered on top of each other as opposed to being scripted and isolated from one another.

Arkane has always invested its full energy into this approach to development. To us, games in this genre are more than a game. We believe they have a magical power to both transport people and create emotionally engaging moments where players feel a tremendous amount of creative agency.

For instance, we remember a player having completed one of our missions in Dishonored in the most unexpected way ever. The target was on the third floor, inside an apartment. Instead of infiltrating the building and climbing the stairs to the third floor, the player stayed at street level, threw a grenade, immediately froze time (using Bend Time) as the grenade was still close to him, used Wind Blast on the grenade to propel it through the open window of that apartment on the third floor, which resulted in eliminating the target in no time.

We love this kind of player!

At Arkane, our development methodology consists of:

1.) Creating a believable environment that serves as a playground. This is a combined effort between art direction, writing, and level design. Our goal is for the setting to have a deep sense of place that tells a story on its own, without any exposition. Just by looking at the detail of the world and the set dressing, players should be able to read what happened before they arrived. In addition, the environment is tactically interesting and invites exploration: spaces are interconnected with multiple pathways, there is verticality, objects that can act as cover, and plenty of hiding spots.

2.) Populating the playground with gameplay elements that are simulated and interactive. AI’s (characters) who have behaviors players can learn and exploit, physics objects, traps, doors, computers, etc. For instance, in Dishonored players could learn that deadly swarms of rats seek out corpses. Dragging a body near to where guards patrol can create effective (and darkly hilarious) distraction.

3.) Providing interesting tools to the players. We like to give players not only direct weapons, but also indirect tools that encourage creativity and experimentation with the game and the simulation in general. The GLOO gun in Prey is a good example: players can use it to incapacitate a human, but they can also use it to climb where we (the designers) didn’t plan.

As far as narration goes, we try to tell the story as much as possible through the actions of the player and through optional information that doesn’t interrupt the flow of the game: audio communications, overheard conversations, environmental storytelling, player objectives…

All this combined provides the kind of experience that is important to us and our values as gamers.

Raphael Colantonio // Prey Creative Director, Arkane Studios
Ricardo Bare // Prey Lead Designer, Arkane Studios

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/02/the-developers-of-prey-love-when-players-improvise/

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
As far as narration goes, we try to tell the story as much as possible through the actions of the player and through optional information that doesn’t interrupt the flow of the game: audio communications, overheard conversations, environmental storytelling, player objectives…
...linear scripted helicopter rides, forced tutorial sections...

ciox

Liturgist
When you're waiting for a more or less proper damaging model aka Deus Ex, and they even remove traumas because "it was too hardcore"

:dead:

You know I never found the DX trauma system very memorable since it's mostly "random shit happens depending on the RNG of the enemy spray, and now you have to heal it", save for the interaction where fall damage will always ruin your legs.
Being able to armor individual parts of your body would add a lot more agency to this system, like playing a sniper with armored arms because the ruined aiming from arm damage would hurt you too much, or armored legs so you won't lose your mobility so easily. Enemies that prefer to target certain areas wouldn't hurt either.

Half-Life (the first one) also had this to some degree in that getting hit in the head had the same effect for you as for AIs, x3 damage. It did create a technique where you would avoid crouching against ranged enemies with hitscan attacks, since they tended to attack your center of mass and crouching would line up your head with that center and get you headshotted, but it still felt very random whether you took x3 damage or not, it wasn't something like "you sat still for too long and the enemy had time to line up a headshot" it was just random.

Durandal

Arcane
^
A Deus Ex damage model would make more sense in a game where aiming for the limbs is a viable option in combat, like some first-person melee fighting game where you aren't always aiming for either the torso or head 95% of the time.
As it stands, it's more or less there to enact a consequence for people falling long distances by breaking your legs, but as the only way you'll get damaged to your limbs or head (save for falling damage) is either environmental damage or random enemy hitscan fire, it's mostly there for REELISM

Ash

Arcane
^
A Deus Ex damage model would make more sense in a game where aiming for the limbs is a viable option in combat, like some first-person melee fighting game where you aren't always aiming for either the torso or head 95% of the time.
As it stands, it's more or less there to enact a consequence for people falling long distances by breaking your legs, but as the only way you'll get damaged to your limbs or head (save for falling damage) is either environmental damage or random enemy hitscan fire, it's mostly there for REELISM

Eh, the health system plays significantly into the accuracy system too. It's underutilized, sure, but it is also worthwhile despite the fact. There's perhaps not a more worthwhile implementation of the system around, actually. Make some suggestions if you feel otherwise.

Durandal

Arcane
^

Eh, the health system plays significantly into the accuracy system too. It's underutilized, sure, but it is also worthwhile despite the fact. There's perhaps not a more worthwhile implementation of the system around, actually. Make some suggestions if you feel otherwise.
I can't think why most of the enemies you face in DX would intentionally go for your limbs (aside from melee enemies), but one other way of making the effects of your limbs getting crippled more pronounced is to reduce total limb HP with ballistic armor only protecting you from torso damage (though I'm sure it does that already).

Ash

Arcane
I don't think there is any need to make it more pronounced. At best, the occasional specialized enemy attack that targets specific limbs may be good. But continuous flashing red screen and lowered FOV when head is damaged? Limping when leg damage is moderate? Arm damage influencing reload speed? These things may not be desirable, yet the other aspects of a psuedo-realistic health system may be, so it has its place and may work just fine as it is. Personally, I've considered doing things with the system, but aside from some very minor iterations nothing seems appropriate in relation to the rest of the game's design. Limping when one leg is at 0hp may be worthwhile though, in realistic and hardcore mode only. A very big maybe.

Last edited:

Siel

Arcane
Patron
So there were some leaks on /v/. Not sure if legit but sounds like it could be.

Story:

so here's the abridged version because the story itself is super simple, but there are "complicated" elements to it----

you "play" as Morgan Yu, super smart scientist and co-president/ceo of transtar with your older brother Alex yu. transtar makes neuromods with are needles you stick in your eye for human enhancements, longer life, etc. transtar gets the materials required for nueromods from aliens (theres an animation online that explans how humans discover the typhons). fast forward a few years and the Yu brothers get the bright idea to imprint themselves with more of the alien dna because the aliens have magic powers (being able to mimic stuff, lift objects with their mind, etc). For some reason morgan thinks its a bright idea to test that shit on himself although during testing, he has to keep stripping out the mods which causes a memory reset back to when it was first installed. (just watch the many 1st hour vids that are online for that nonsense). The other terrible side effect is that is causes personality changes each time, so morgan himself is changing as a person which ill get into later.

so one day during testing, shit goes bad- the aliens are out of containment and you're running around free trying to figure out whats going on. January is a robot that morgan put together before he went into the testing in case shit went bad, so january tells you that shit has hit the fan and you're contingency plan was me and we need to blow up this station like its the 4th of july (im paraphrasing).

Alex, of course, tells you to chill out and he'll take care of it, but you ignore him and start exploring around the station fixing all the broken parts ala dead space.

so then morgan enters the science labs and discovers the "horror" so to speak of the neuromods. they're made of alien material, so you need a good supply of aliens, right? that supply comes from feeding the aliens people (criminals from russia), so they multiply and then get harvested. January is all like, we need to blow this all up because if the typhon escape, the world is screwed- alex of course tries to impart the importance of learning what the aliens have to offer. I also forgot to mention, as you're walking around a SECOND robot contacts you named December, saying you built him to help you escape the entire shuttle if shit hit the fan (no matter what you do, January kills december unless you kill jan first, but it doesn't really matter- just emphasizes the whole personality change thing i mentioned before)

fast forward a bit and you find a bunch of people hiding out in the crew quarters and also learn that the aliens can straight up mindjack people (and the power is literally called mind jack), but whatever. so you finally enter a place called deep storage (forgot to mention, january tells you to come here because you need the blueprints to a self destruct key you hid here). you get the blueprints, but your brother locks you in, so naturally you have to eject out.

fast forward some more, you have to fix the power plant of the station (you mean your not-so-cute ex love interest there, but who cares) then your brother finally decides he's going to explain everything to you if you meet him in his office.

so you meet alex in the office except he's not there, instead he shows you a video of from before you went into the neuromod testing. in the video morgan is all hype about the alien neuromods, saying it'll pave the way for the future regardless of the consequences (contrary to what january has been telling you all game. Morgan even says if shit goes bad, blowing it all up is a stupid idea). then they offer a different idea is shit goes bad. they could use a "nullwave" device (nullwave is the term use for the grenades that disable alien powers) to kill all the aliens but preserve all the research. only problem is they need more data to build this device, so alex sends you on the hunt for said data by scanning these off structures forming around the station known as "coral" (coral is like food/waste the aliens make after eating a bunch of people. as you play the game you'll see that the entire station starts to get filled with the stuff because everyone is hardcore dying all over the place). so you scan it all and return to alex's office to upload the data. alex kinda confirms what i just posted and mentioned it seems to be broadcasting a signal too, but the upload is halted...

enter Dahl, transtar security force- see, the board of directors have finally caught wind that shit mightve hit the fan on the station, so they sent dahl in to clean it all up and recover the research- he is literally never mentioned before this and is the stupidest shit ive ever seen because it only elongates the game. whatever, deal with him, finish the upload- finally talk to alex in person

you meet up again and he's like here's the plans for the nullwave, but a promise is a promise, so here's my self destruct key too. he goes on some monologue and then OHHHH NOOOOO- a GIANT ALIEN warps into reality (called in by the coral) and engulfs the station. its just a bunch of black wiggly tentacles, super nothing

so now the player has a choice to make. set up the nullwave to kill only the aliens or set up the self destruct sequence (if january is still around, he of course is always yammering in your ear about self destruct). or you could leave the station if you discovered how to. There are other things you can do to "change" this ending, like saving the only 3 important npcs, hacking dahl to your side- but it all doesn't matter.

anyway, you make your choice then go to the bridge where you'll find alex and january (if they're still alive). based on your choice, one is telling you that you've made a mistake and will kill the other or they're congratulate you. either way, you either kill the one that's trying to stop you (and i mean just shoot them, its not a boss fight) or just move past them and press the i win button.

you think the game ends there, but you wake up in a chair with alex overlooking you. he says the simulation is done and is talking to 4 other people (the important npc's that you find on the station). they talk to each other and go over the choices you made in the game, literally one sentence changes to their dialogue. "he helped me" "he left me to die" etc. Alex is basically asking each of the NPCs if they think their tests on you were successful. they reveal to you that you're not actually morgan, your an alien that they imprinted with the human ability to feel because they believe that you can help them. they spin ur chair around so you can see some monitors of earth and cities COVERED in coral (which means who cares what decision you made, the aliens made it to earth anyway). they spin you back around and say they hope you can "see them" (because earlier in the game alex mentions how the aliens aren't evil, they just done have the neurons to be able to empathize with the suffering of another living creature). then u can either kill them all or take his hand. THE END

Gameplay:

I believe the entirety of development was about 2 years. As i said, i came in a little later, so i don't know if it was arkane already working on something and bethesda came in or it was bethesda who came in and said "you wanna take the prey license?" and they started work.

either way, they actually managed to get an alpha build relatively fast. as much as i hate this game, from a technical perspective- they're a dream team for putting something together as they did. alpha was in april i think, beta in octoberish and release coming in march, so yea 2-2.5 years

there are a handful of guns in the game, but the recoil is very minimal- the pistol is the worst offender. the way it works in that your shots dont always hit where your reticle points because of your "accuracy" stat. upgrade that on the gun and you'll hit more often where the reticle is although if you're not a fucking idiot, you'll always hit anyway. its a useless stat and stupid mechanic. im not mad at the casualization of the game, im mad how boring and repetitive it is

the skill/neuromod system. you have your "useful" skills like hacking/leverage (let you get to "extra" areas in the game, but its not necessary at all- you can finish the game with 0 nueromods), but they're not very exciting

the alien neuromods are the worst though. do you want damage that makes physics go nuts or fire damage thats a shitty mine or maybe you want electric damage that stuns robots. they're not interesting, yet the entire time the game pretends like they're super useful or interesting and they're not. even if you tried to spec into heavy into the alien tree, your psi (mana pool) is very limited, so you're still going to use your guns most of the time anyway, so what's the fucking point of the alien powers??

there are more alien powers, so they're not all the same thing reskinned, but they're nothing to write home about in terms of their utility. it all sounds good on paper, but man they screwed the pooch with execution because their terrible implementation and level design

well, take a look at the mimic power- the big highlight you see in all the videos. its worthless unless you want to dick around. lets just put aside that it was a technical nightmare to implement and test (mimicing into objects too small would have you fall through the world, so they had to either remove those small objects from the game entirely or limit what you could mimic into, but again- at that point, what's the point?). you can only be in mimic form for so long, and the areas you can get into via mimic form can be accessed by other more convenient and less glitchy means (like just hacking the door hurp durp).

there's a phase shift ability which is like a very shitty blink from dishonored. abysmal, the blink distance is pitiful and you can upgrade it so it leaves a "decoy" morgan behind, but the AI ignores it and since you only blinked a whole 4 ft away, the aliens go after you anyway. your momentum stops when you use it, so its not like its a good way to get around and i already mentioned the mana pool shortage issue.

there's an ability that lets you raise the corpses of people as phantoms (one of the enemy types in the game) to fight on your side, but their AI is retarded, so good luck getting any meaningful use out of that.

now these abilities are still being changed around and even AS BAD as i just mentioned them, but they're just awful. they're not as useful or interesting as the abilities in dishonored; im not asking for a copy paste, but its clear not a lot of thought were put into how these abilities work in the overall game.

as for going gold- HA. im not saying the game will get delayed, but you better believe they're going to try and fit as much as they can into that day 1 patch

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
If it's legit it is from the perspective of a QA/Playtester.

im not mad at the casualization of the game, im mad how boring and repetitive it is

Those things are pretty much one in the same, nine times out of ten.

there's a phase shift ability which is like a very shitty blink from dishonored. abysmal, the blink distance is pitiful
your psi (mana pool) is very limited....so what's the point?
the way it works in that your shots dont always hit where your reticle points because of your "accuracy" stat. upgrade that on the gun and you'll hit more often where the reticle is although if you're not a fucking idiot, you'll always hit anyway. its a useless stat and stupid mechanic

Dude sounds like a casual himself. Could still be legit criticisms but it just sounds like he's pissed he can't be a boring overpowered God right off the bat as in Dish.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
I agree with you Ash (for once). Also the fact he regrets there is no final boss fight (would be retarded if there was).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom