Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preorder South Park the RPG for a mere $60

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
And, good news, it's Steamworks! Time for the Obsidian apologists to open up their wallets. Also in before: blame the publisher.

Deleted member 7219

What the fuck is wrong with Steamworks? Seems good to me:

1. No need for the DVD
2. Unlimited downloads/reinstalls
3. Cloud saves
4. Automatic updates

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Like Dungeon Siege III I'll probably pass on this one as well.... I do hope someone does a good LP.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I love Obsidian and don't mind Steam, but meh, South Park. Will wait for a Steam sale. (Unless the gameplay is exceptional, which I doubt will be the case.)

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
11uj62f.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
Fucking Steam, stop making your shit compulsory.

Despite being a gargantuan Obsidian fanboi I'll wait for a bit more detail, I've always found the SP show boring as hell.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam is pretty slow to put up preorders -- especially with titles that don't have firm enough launch dates/windows. Green Man Gaming is a fairly reputable site a la Gamer's Gate, Getgamesgo, etc. I believe they are based in the UK.

likaq

Arcane
What's the point in buying this game?
Obsidian will never see any money, every penny will go to publisher.
If you want to support Obsidian wait for their kickstarter.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I guess so if they signed a contract as bad as the one they signed with Bethesda! Then again, after DS3 flopped I'm sure their leveraging power took a hit.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Ah I see. Well, I'll need to see some gameplay of this first.
Which is pretty weird that there seem to be none yet, considering its available for pre-order.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I would think they have learned from that mistake. Still sitting on monies for their KS projects <3

likaq

Arcane
To sign better contract you must have bargaining power. Looking at Obsidian and their layoff and flops like AP and DS 3, Kotor 2 , i'm pretty sure they bargaining power is and always was fucking small.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Even if they do not make money from the sales, making a game that sold well will look good on their resume.

Tigranes

Arcane
Purely from investor/publisher perspective, KOTOR2 did quite well. AP obviously didn't. DS3, not sure, since it had lower sales expectations to begin with, but it's pretty safe to say it wasn't a success.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DS3 was profitable. Not sure how profitable, but profitable.

Well, I have no numbers to claim otherwise but it would surprise me seeing as how they were selling it for $5 a few months after release. Maybe it performed extremely well on its native console platform.

Self-Ejected

Brayko

Self-Ejected
The majority of Dungeon Siege fans bought it on launch I'm sure but I really have a hard time believing it was profitable considering the price drops and what it takes for something fairly big budget to be profitable these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom