Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[POLL] Regarding recent changes to the RPG Forum

I am very upset about RPG Forums

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
As some of you noticed, we recently ditched the AAA Mainstream discussion forum, merged it with General RPG and then added a bunch of sub-forums, ostensibly one for each RPG developer.

This has caused a handful of people to become upset (removing custom avatars caused way more butthurt, go figure).

Also, I apparently should've asked first because by asking, I would've gotten a clear answer that everyone would've been happy with¹.

So I'm asking now. Anticipating that I will receive a clear, overwhelming majority for one option which will satisfy a large majority of users. You may want to think and read below before you vote because unless one clear option passes 50%, I'm likely to try any random idea next. :smug:

#1. Keep the current sub-forum arrangement.

There are two features you should be aware of with XenForo, New Posts - and the ability to ignore New Posts from certain forums. Simply click "New Posts" above and you will see a single list of every new post on the Codex.

new_posts.png

Currently it's limited to the last 100 posts (although this can be changed - it's a system-wide setting and effects number of search results too, which we deliberately decreased because guests). If you wish to ignore certain forums (EG: General Discussion etc...) simply find the "Ignore New Posts" options:

ignore_new_posts.png

ignore_new_posts2.png

Select at whim, enjoy!

The Sub-Forum setup works optimally with this in mind and allows BOTH users who want "one single list" to get what they want, and those who are happy looking for specific things to find them easily. It's also intended to reduce the current rise of wide topic spanning mega-threads and allow more discussion on a variety of things over time, rather than just the latest update with one liners.

Vote for this option if you think the current setup is working for you.

#2. Ditch *most* of the sub-forums but keep one or two, just rename them (EG: "Pre-1990 Games").

Some people think the Sub-Forums are fine - it's just that there are too many of them (and there will likely be many more over time). This option is if you think we should have some sub-forums, but maybe only 2 or 3. We might try a few options here but we'll likely have a "Pre-1990 Games" Forum and an "Action RPGs" - where Jaesun can dump all the shit threads.

#3. Go back to the two forums as it was before (cRPG and Mainstream AAA+).

This is fairly self-explanatory. We go back to the two forums as it was before (cRPG and "Mainstream AAA+" as arbitrarily decided by Jaesun).

#4. Merge all the forums into one and try Excommunicator's multiple tag concept.

Excommunicator has proposed a multiple pre-fix / tag system idea. Very simply, we merge all RPG forums into one but people will be able to choose pre-fixes for certain developers ("Troika", "BioWare") / game series ("Fallout", "Elder Scrolls"). As when creating any new thread, you will have a list of pre-fixes to choose from, with more added as required:

prefixes.png

They'd just be more relevant than "Decline" and "Incline" but they would allow you to quickly filter by just those topics:

prefixes2.png

So that only topics with that pre-fix / tag are shown. We can even install a mod that allows you to choose multiple pre-fixes.

#5. Just merge all the sub-forums into one and leave it alone ffs.

We merge all the sub-forums into one and do nothing. No tags, no sub-forums, no extra forums.

#6. Have you considered... (post details below)

You have some other great idea. Please tell us about it.

¹AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I fear that sorting by tag will be a clusterfuck, since everyone puts whatever the fuck they want in the tag. Also prepare for epileptic seizures produced from full multicolored tag overload.

The subforums idea isn't bad, because then you can choose specific stuff you don't want to see in "new posts", you can check out specific stuff you want, and you can also see everything should you desire it.

mondblut

Arcane
Everyone outraged by this offense should select option 3. They will have to manually sort all the threads back as the threads used to be, and there will be much rejoicing. :troll:

hiver

Go back to simple and very useful divide.
The names arent that important but Classic RPGs or True RPG and mainstream action or AAA RPGs works fine.

If the new setup is forcing everyone to avoid browsing the forums through the new setup then that setup doesnt make any sense.

Also, whatever the setup is, it wont please everyone, so you should simply stop trying - and stick with what is the RIGHT THING TO DO, which is having two forums, one for True RPGs and the other for mass market popamole or actionRPGs or whatever you want to call it.
Because simply - thats how things stand in reality.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
tags don't have to show in the main forum view. At least i hope they fucking don't. And adding a new one should be rare. The main trouble is people not tagging, it would probably become one of the poor genrpg mods duties to add missing ones.

Unwanted

Hornawkawk

Unwanted
Have you considered...

...sodomizing yourself with a ripe cucumber whenever you want to reorganize the forums?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
In my day we only needed one forum for discussing RPGs :rpgcodex:

Option 3 would be fine too.

I'd rather have all the CRPG threads in a single forum. I'd also rather have all the classics and the AAA+ stuff together. It's not like we have so many discussions that extensive sub-foldering is really needed.

edit: seriously, sub-forums are incredibly annoying. I have to click twenty times to list all the CRPG threads that I could access with one click before. The new posts feature is no replacement for that.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I honestly don't see the problem or the need to generate all these subforums.

Having a single CRPG forum worked for what, approximately ten years, and then suddenly the Codex got some spergs to do the moderating, and it turned out that the spergs really like to juggle stuff like Morrowind from rpg to general gaming for reasons created solely of butthurt.

So if there's only moderator-induced-butthurt at work, and the problem doesn't really look like a problem to the general populace, I ask why inconvenience everyone involved with shelves destined for certain games, and leave near-empty graveyard forums at that, as well.

Back in the day you'd see people saying something like 'why is this in rpg discussion!' in whatever AAAmajestic rpg-related threads that popped up, but it's always struck me more as a running gag than as an actual complaint. But if it really WAS an actual complaint, I don't see the need of drifting away from 'rpg discussion' + 'stuff jaesun finds shit (aka aaa+ popamole)' and adding more clusterfuck that ultimately serves no purpose.

In the end I guess I'll just vote 2 forums because it's a good enough way of reducing clusterfuck and keeping the spergs at bay, which also reduces some of the OMG WHY MOVE MUH MASS EFFECT THRAD TO GENERUL GAEMINGZ?! flooding that used to happen with 1 forum.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Perhaps migrating the Codex to web 2.0 would be the best approach.

Transform our forums into a microblog (call it The Hivemind if you must) and let the system take care of everything.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I chose the second option. Two or three subforums might be a good way to reduce clutter, and you wouldn't have to scroll down just to see past the wall of subforums we have now.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is far too many sub-forums. I voted option 2 because it would be clearer than Mainstream vs "Classic" RPG. I think it would work really well with this arrangement:

1995 and earlier
1996-2005
2006-present
Unreleased

I'd rather go back to the previous arrangement than what we have now.

mondblut

Arcane
First let Jaesun sort all remaining threads into the subforums, then merge them all into one.

Are you stupid? Merging into one would only take him a single click.

Needs at least two to make him sieve through them manually. He will just about finish with that when time will come to change the categories once again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom