Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Poll: Do you modify FOV in modern games?

Do you enhance your gameplay experience through FOV modication?

• Yes

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • What's FOV?

Votes: 8 11.8%

• Total voters

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Unless I am playing a multiplayer shooter where I want to have the biggest advantage over my enemies as possible, I don't give a shit about the FOV.
Well I do, I had to change it in the original Deus Ex because I was getting nauseous after playing 10 minutes...

deuxhero

Arcane
No, but then again, my mouse is almost always set to the highest sensitivity in game, with highest sensitivity in windows and my mouse on high DPI and most games don't let you adjust the FoV, so I'm used to just looking.

That's interesting because I usually find the lower the FOV the lower I adjust sensitivity.

He's just full of shit with high DPI mouse at max sens in game and windows.

I have the fine reflexes needed to use it like that. Looking around is second nature with them.

abija

Prophet
I have the fine reflexes needed to use it like that. Looking around is second nature with them.
Reflexes? I think you mean precision and you don't. You're either trolling or have a very loose term for high DPI. In source or id tech games the settings you mentioned mean you do 360 degrees in 1.2 mm with a 5400 dpi mouse, 1.7mm with a 4000 one.

Not to mention the additional "highest sensitivity in windows" which is retardo++ with a high DPI mouse (and self respecting games should use raw input anyway).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The only game I ever messed with FOV in was Quake 2. And that was just a custom binding that set FOV to 10 while held down, so I had a sniper scope for my rail gun.

I never had any problems with motion sickness or felt annoyed at the default FOV in games I bothered to play.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I think it's all the FEAR I've played. I'm not sure what the measurements are exactly in FEAR, but the VFOV is pretty generous, so with a widescreen resolution it's horizontally like 100-110 degrees. I used to have no problem with lower FOVs, but now I really need anything in first person to have at least a horizontal FOV of 90.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Looks like a 50/50 split with most of the people who wrote about changing it speaking about motion sickness, which I don't get. Interesting.

Thanks guys.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I'd heard about motion sickness in video games but didn't realize it happened to me until I tried a few modern games. Think it was Bioshock, Metro and even STALKER. Maybe a couple of others. Quake 3 was set at 90 for a 4:3 screen. I try to raise to match the screen enough to not make it fish-eyed and not make me nauseous.

This video does an excellent job explaining why there is a difference in FOV's between consoles and PC's (and why PC's should be increased):

PART 1:

PART 2:

Last edited:

potatojohn

Arcane
I like about 100deg on 16:10.

Although for some reason, UE3 games feel bad at any FOV.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What is a crappy FOV? On the few times I tried messing with the value to see what it was about, I noticed low numbers don't bother me, but higher numbers make it look like I'm playing a cyclops.
To put it one way, a low FOV feels like you have horse blinders on, or like the camera is permanently zoomed in. Human beings have a pretty wide field of view and when your FOV is too low and you're sitting too close to the monitor, there is a sensory conflict between what you are seeing and what your brain thinks should be there. This makes some people uncomfortable, some don't care, and some actually get sick or headaches from it. Either way an adjustable FOV should be a mandatory inclusion in any game, because every player is different.

His statements might make some sense, but consider that a lot of players get used to or don't notice the fish-eye effect, especially because it's mostly in your peripheral vision (which your own eyes actually do have as well, just much more subtly). Having a wider FOV simulates wider peripheral vision, which is why many players find it more comfortable provided the distortion it causes is not excessive.

However, saying "you should play the game using default FOV because the developer intended it that way" is as retarded as saying that "you should play the game with the default control scheme, without rebinding keys, because the developer intended for the game to be controlled a certain way"... even if that layout is difficult, awkward or painful for you. Or, better yet "game developers shouldn't put colorblind modes in their games because it doesn't show the game's full and correct color range."

Additionally, I would dispute that having a high FOV hurts depth perception in a 3D game. If anything, because your view is wider and the horizon vanishing point is "farther" away, it improves your depth perception to have a high FOV by subtly accentuating the differences in distance.

abija

Prophet
Either way an adjustable FOV should be a mandatory inclusion in any game, because every player is different.
Even the same player using a different monitor or changing distance from monitor will probably want a FOV setting.
But hey, time is money, devs are lazy, starved players bend over eventually so everything is fine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom