Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

nikolokolus

Arcane
Rse83Ld.png

Notes: The gate to the left is where you came from (north), the gate leading farther down the canyon to Dreg is to the right (south) There is a sheer granite cliff rising behind Harridwn's tavern/inn (it's built built in to the living rock). Red lines indicate the passage under the barbican and each square equals 1 MV (i.e. 3 meters)

The creatures in the courtyard seem confused at first, but eventually one of the gate guards shouts at the others, "Don't just stand there! Grab him!" The three spindly, green-skinned fellows who were playing cards jump up and try to scramble for their spears. the two ogrish brutes stare blankly at Rhenmyr for a few seconds longer, but dawning realization finally registers on their stupid, piggy faces. Each one snatches up a crude, tree-branch club and lumbers towards Rhenmyr. The two gate guards loose crossbow bolts they had readied. Goblinish gate gaurds' light crossbow fire (45%) [1d100] = 9, [1d100] = 26 Damage [1d6+2] = 4+2 = 6, [1d6+2] = 3+2 = 5 taking 6 and 5 damage respectively (If Rhenmyr has a shield, he has a chance to block the bolts, based on the size of his shield, but there is no parry or dodge, unless you have 101+ in shield, or dodge)

Rhenmyr is hit twice as he jogs/fast-walks across the courtyard and pulls at the postern door . . . which is locked. Rhenmyr can attempt one free action before the creatures in the courtyard can react and we start the normal combat sequence. The stone walls of the barbican rise about 20' feet into the air

Meanwhile back inside the tavern . . .

Round 2, Borric, Amon, and Mab are up then Pigrag, then everyone else.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric pulls back from Pigrag (Borric needs to make a successful Dodge Roll against any attacks by Pigrag, to safely disengage; e.g. you can't parry an attack to disengage).

Pigrag swipes at Borric with his massive balled up fists Pigrag attacks Borric: Fists (60%) vs [1d100] = 94, damage [1d6] = 3 + dmg bonus [2d6] = 9 but misses badly (no need to roll dodge). Borric runs for the door and sees the commotion unfolding in front of him. Marcán gets shot twice and three spindly legged greenskins and two hulking ogres, larger (and slower than Pigrag) are lumbering toward Rhenmyr. Atop the two gatehouses you see crossbow wielding greenskins furiously bent over winding their windlasses to re-load.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
Grimgravy Rhenmyr's chance to block the crossbow bolts is 30% for each (The Lion Shield is "full size") and you get an armor roll for each bolt.

L'ennui

Magister
Damn, a lot of stuff happened and I didn't receive any alerts. Sorry!

Urash stumbles out of the inn with his comrades. Seeing the two crossbowmen, he has an idea to fend them off.

"Maru Enlil! That one! GO FOR THE EYES!"

Focusing on the other crossbowman, Urash prepares to cast Sleep...

... But the Acadian just can't seem to gather his wits in the midst of all this chaos.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Wayward Son I'm going to NPC Mab until you rejoin or can post to keep things moving along. I promise I won't do anything suicidal with him.

Grimgravy It's not balsa wood. Whoever made this door knew what they were doing. It's hung from brass hinges and appears to be made of solid oak. When you push and pull on the door you discover that it is locked or possibly barred.

Everyone else spills out of the smoke-filled tavern as flames engulf the common room. Pigrag bolted for the back door along with a couple of green-skinned midges. Solon yelps in fright when he sees the guards and hulking brutes lumbering across the courtyard, spares a glance backward at the tavern and ducks behind Borric, grabbing at him and crying "Save me! I'm not meant to die like this! Gold, jewels, magic. Anything you want! Just protect me!"

Round 3:
Rhenmyr
Borric
Amon
Mab*
Green-skinned thingies
Marcán
Urash
Solon
Ogrish brutes

9dntUkP.png

I probably won't post any more map updates for this battle. You can basically get to any point on the map in a single round, and I'll describe anything in text that needs to be explained.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I can do a resistance table roll when I get home.
Free action before resuming combat: Rhenmyr tries kicking in the door.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Borric searches for a suitable spot from where he can climb the nearest tower and deal with the crossbows without being shot at.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric searches for a suitable spot from where he can climb the nearest tower and deal with the crossbows without being shot at.
The crossbowmen are reloading, that will take up some time. No matter which tower you climb, you'll be exposed to at least one crossbowman. You also might want to consider how tall the ogres are . . .

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The crossbowmen are reloading, that will take up some time. No matter which tower you climb, you'll be exposed to at least one crossbowman. You also might want to consider how tall the ogres are . . .
Borric decides to run and climb the nearest tower.

nikolokolus

Arcane

nikolokolus

Arcane
Borric decides to run and climb the nearest tower.
Make a difficult climb roll (i.e. half-skill=40%).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Because Borric is in a hurry his foot slips off of the rough cut rock and he slips to the ground, embarrassed but no worse for wear.

ERYFKRAD Make an Agility roll to see if you land on your feet or are prone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom