Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed [Play-by-Post] Magic World/BRP: "In Search of the Sorcerer"

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
could marcán assume Borric is enchanted at this point? Trying my hardest not to be a meta gamer lol

what's the water like in the channel across from Dreg? Is it swimable? Also as Amon approaches, are there other boats tied up?

L'ennui

Magister
"Marcán is on the rope, we should see him any moment now. No sign of Amon. Borric... what is he doing?! He doesn't seem to be coming down! There's a lot of activity up there, friends. I wouldn't want to stick around much longer."

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"If Marcán is coming we'll hold until he arrives. Borric isn't coming? He was holding the door. The floating masked lady might have got to him. Be ready. We're off as soon as Marcán is in the boat."

Rhemnyr sits and readies the oars.

Siveon

Bot
Against his better judgement Marcán stays on the ledge and calls out, "Pardon me, miss, but may I have but a moment of your time? It concerns my friend you seem to have enchanted, as well as this dreadful incident, which I do very much apologize for. I'd do it in person but I'd very much not like to be struck down again."

Fast talk? Fast Talk (85) vs [1d100] = 14 Also I can't stop giggling at this dumb scene.

nikolokolus

Arcane
what's the water like in the channel across from Dreg? Is it swimable? Also as Amon approaches, are there other boats tied up?
Probably best described as "swift and cold." There is a barge moored on the dock that uses a tether strung across the channel, which keeps the barge from being swept away and is used to pull the barge across the channel.

The line is currently suspended about 30' above the surface of the water; the end fixed to the island is raised and lowered by a winch along a 60' tall mast that juts out of the water next to the dock. it is currently raised (likely to allow river traffic to pass under the tether).

nikolokolus

Arcane
Against his better judgement Marcán stays on the ledge and calls out, "Pardon me, miss, but may I have but a moment of your time? It concerns my friend you seem to have enchanted, as well as this dreadful incident, which I do very much apologize for. I'd do it in person but I'd very much not like to be struck down again."

Fast talk? Fast Talk (85) vs [1d100] = 14 Also I can't stop giggling at this dumb scene.
You get a faint smile for your trouble . . . she snaps her fingers at Borric and tells him to desist. "You fancy yourself a clever one. You remind me of my uncle, Gwydion; silver-tongued and slippery as an eel. Look at me clever mortal and be adjudged."

You can make another Luck roll to avoid her gaze. Also, make an Allegiance roll against your Balance score

nikolokolus

Arcane
Already did, check above
Whoops sorry, I was reading on my phone on the train.
Marcán catches a glimpse of the "woman's" face and finds himself transfixed by her unearthly beauty; unable to move or do anything but bask in her radiance. Feelings of love wash over him and also a realization that he stands before none other than a minor goddess of his people: Nimue; the Lady of Lakes, a guardian spirit and sometimes seen as a patron of bards. Her face, her mask, her ability to pacify an enemy with her beauty all of it adds up to an unshakable knowledge that no matter your motives, you've not only violated some of the deepest traditions of hospitality by spilling the blood of a host and abducting their ward, but you've actually directly sinned against one of your goddesses. His feelings of love give way to utter despair.

The Lady looks in your eyes and seems to read your every thought. A look of sadness and regret is reflected back at you, that quickly turns to icy contempt, "The mark of Danu is on your heart mortal, yet you betray her house, her edicts and spill the blood of her kith and kin. I should take your head and throw your corpse to my hounds for your sins, but your fate I leave to the Lake. May you spend the rest of your days evading the barbs and nets of fishermen and the consuming hunger of the guardian." Marcán feels himself lifted by a gust of air, where he hangs for several seconds. More distressing than the dizzying heights, you look down and see your legs fuse together and transform into a flopping salmon's tail and your torso shrink and become covered with scales, your vision blurs and you now see the world in nearly 360 degrees around you -- you are undoubtedly a fish! The Lady flicks her wrist and the gust of wind drops you precipitously through the bank of clouds . . .

Urash watches a weird spectacle unfold through his rook's eye. Marcán appears to parley with the lady on top of the wall. Over the course of a half-minute or so, you see him transfixed by the woman's gaze, lifted up by some unseen force where he floats for a dozen seconds and then his body writhes, twists and contorts as he changes shape into a large salmon. When the transformation is complete he plummets through the clouds and out of the bird's sight.

*splash* Everyone in the boat jumps when an object falls from the sky and lands about 10 feet from the boat, it definitely didn't look like one of Borric, Amon, or Marcán. You lean over and see a large fish circling the boat before it disappears into the dark water.

nikolokolus

Arcane
So, what are my stats?
Hmmm?
Keltic goddess - 1. Sinful Keltic bard - 0
;)

Do you mean for Moggle, an Ogre, a new character?

EDIT: Oh nvm, fish . . .
STR 2, CON 15, SIZ 4, INT 1, POW 12 DEX 20
HP: 10
Bite 20% 1d2
Swim 100%, Dodge 70%

Siveon

Bot
I don't necessarily get it, I didn't kill anyone and tried my damnest to deescalate the situation, but I guess the gods suck.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I don't necessarily get it, I didn't kill anyone and tried my damnest to deescalate the situation, but I guess the gods suck.
Hmmm, Maybe I didn't do a great job of conveying how much danger you are all in here. I know Marcán didn't cut anyone down, but it's sort of a two-fold thing. 1.) When you crossed into Otherworld you are in the domain of "the gods," and whatever "the gods" actually are, they are often regarded by mortals as fickle, vengeful, and fallible, but not omniscient or omnipresent. 2.) Marcán's "guilt" is more like being an accomplice to a murder than the guy who pulled the trigger; everyone kind of gets lumped together by the actions of the group as a whole. The moment somebody grabbed Oona, the die was cast for all of you if you got caught. Borric is a thrall now, and Marcán got punished for inadvertently transgressing. The fact that you passed your Allegiance check meant you weren't executed once she realized your Allegiance to Balance. Maybe one of your comrades will have an especially clever solution to "catching" you and transforming you back?

There's one thing I want to say, I don't enjoy killing/incapacitating/fucking over player characters; it's not fun for me. I root for you guys to succeed all the time, because seeing clever strategies and planning put together and seeing how people react to challenges is fun. I tried to give several hints (without explicitly telegraphing it) just how dire things could get here. Maybe I did a bad job of that and if that's the case I take responsibility and all I can do is try to do better in the future.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
"The hell was that!? I'm taking it as our cue to go!"

Rhenmyr starts rowing for all he's worth.

Maybe Fishcán can distract Nessie and save us.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Solon grabs the other oar and Moggle takes the tiller, but his head is on a swivel
Siveon Marcán is mostly acting on instinct, but he still retains a vestige of his former life. The boat is intriguing to him and comfortable so he follows it. However you sense a menace gathering in the deeps of the river, somewhere to the north swimming fast towards your position.

Last edited:

nikolokolus

Arcane
The boat veers out into the current and Urash's rook, Enlil returns to his shoulder. Moggle squeaks and points to a spot in the middle distance to starboard (up river) "Ach! The Guardian!" When you look all you can see is a large sinuous tail slipping below the surface about 1/4 mile away. Those who are rowing need to make effort rolls (which can include replacing Solon at the oars)

Siveon

Bot
So do I still make decisions or is this like getting captured in Mount and Blade? If this is the latter, someone ping me when something related to me happens for full... realism?

nikolokolus

Arcane
So do I still make decisions or is this like getting captured in Mount and Blade? If this is the latter, someone ping me when something related to me happens for full... realism?
Well if you think you can fairly roleplay a fish, then go for it. If you don't think you can do it, then I guess you're kind of "ghosted." An alternative is you can take over Moggle or you can create a new character . . . wanna be an ogre, a goblin, a dwarf?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom