Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Planescape: Torment has bad writing

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
The fact that no tag has been awarded yet is indicative of the slipping standards of moderation on this shit forum.

no, rather it's indicative of the fact that the op is someone's alt

probably Infinitron 's since safav hamon sounds hebrew

I for one, support the mondblutian ideal of kill monsters and loot treasures in a TB crpg developed by an autistic neckbeard in his basement.

fuck everything else as PST and MoTB quality stuff isn't coming any time soon from the pink haired sjw diversity hires.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
In all seriousness, verbose dialog and prose sucks in computer RPGs. I don't know how Planescape got away with it, because it's the worst offender of superfluous pretentious writing.

bn7SJ1w.gif

mfkndggrfll

Learned
Shitposter Bethestard
No, it isn't a pleasure to read. The writing in Planescape breaks most of the fundamental rules of establishing good flow. The dialog is exactly as IHaveHugeNick describes as shit - one person wanking themselves with a thesaurus. Every line of dialog is broken up by tedious flowery prose that adds nothing of value. Unsophisticated grognards think Planescape is deep because it appeals to their psuedo-intellectualism. The actual writing is horrible, and you wont find a reputable writer that thinks otherwise.
Planescape had 20 lines of redundant filler for every memorable quote.

Most of those quotes you selected aren't even that interesting either. I could cherrypick lines from Pillars just as good.
I've been calling out Planescape's garbage writing long before Pillars of Eternity. When PoE1 came out, I criticized its writing for trying to imitate Planescape.

The fact is, Planescape writing is overrated trash. It gives the illusion of good writing to someone that has never seen good writing before, and the degree of pseudo-philosophy is repulsive to anyone that's not a faux intellectual themselves.

Can a mod transfer all of my banked brofists to this hero?

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
No, it isn't a pleasure to read. The writing in Planescape breaks most of the fundamental rules of establishing good flow. The dialog is exactly as IHaveHugeNick describes as shit - one person wanking themselves with a thesaurus. Every line of dialog is broken up by tedious flowery prose that adds nothing of value. Unsophisticated grognards think Planescape is deep because it appeals to their psuedo-intellectualism. The actual writing is horrible, and you wont find a reputable writer that thinks otherwise.
Planescape had 20 lines of redundant filler for every memorable quote.

Most of those quotes you selected aren't even that interesting either. I could cherrypick lines from Pillars just as good.
I've been calling out Planescape's garbage writing long before Pillars of Eternity. When PoE1 came out, I criticized its writing for trying to imitate Planescape.

The fact is, Planescape writing is overrated trash. It gives the illusion of good writing to someone that has never seen good writing before, and the degree of pseudo-philosophy is repulsive to anyone that's not a faux intellectual themselves.

Can a mod transfer all of my banked brofists to this hero?
I guess if great minds think alike, stupid ones must as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom