Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen 3: Titan Lords

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I can't recall how this worked in the previous games, but it's pretty silly that you can knock those guys out and they continue to speak to you like nothing happened. "My poor skull", right. Also lol @ "You got a problem with thieves?" after we've stolen everything there was to steal from his house - which he saw us do!

Still, I dunno why but I'm pretty pumped for this. :?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't recall how this worked in the previous games, but it's pretty silly that you can knock those guys out and they continue to speak to you like nothing happened. "My poor skull", right. Also lol @ "You got a problem with thieves?" after we've stolen everything there was to steal from his house - which he saw us do!

Still, I dunno why but I'm pretty pumped for this. :?
In risen 1 at least they'd get pissed and not speak to you.

:negative:

imweasel

The intro with the camera panning across the map is really cool and nicely done. Graphics are pretty decent. Animations have improved ( I even saw some motion capturing). The protagonist doesn't look like Mr. McDerp (which will make some people here vewy happy... :M). Popamole style list inventory.... RAGE!

All in all the game looks pretty cool and I am hyped! :) I Can hardly wait for this to come out. :D

Some NPCs are flagged as non-killable, usually because they are quest givers. Same like in the other games.

In risen 1 at least they'd get pissed and not speak to you.
Not permanently though, If I remember correctly.

:Flash:

Arcane
Tried playing Gothic 1 and the controls were pretty terrible. I did a few quests in the Old Town but got tired of the controls and eventually gave up. Didn't play Gothic 2 nor 3 because they are a direct sequel AFAIK and didn't want to ruin the experience.
Controls are fine. I fucking wince every time I see someone on the Codex complain about them... and it happens far more than it should.

Absolutely. It's a non standard control scheme but it makes perfect sense once you are used to it. I remember playing it on a laptop and not having to use the mouse much was a boon in itself.
It is kinda funny how people today assume that every game needs to follow a standard control scheme. When Gothic was developed, there was no standard control scheme, and the mouse control was added last-minute before release, because it was only shortly before release that mouselook became standard in games.
I remember reading an early preview in a German gaming mag, and the developers were really proud of the control scheme they had come up with (the original one). Gothic was the first 3D game that had found a sensible way of using ladders.
From what the gam has become, that preview was funny anyway. That was at a time when 3D engines couldn't display large outside areas, and that was the reason the game is set in a prison, because at that time the entire prison was an underground dungeon.

Nim

Augur
Gothic was the first 3D game that had found a sensible way of using ladders..
So sensible they never ever again used ladders in their games ( except that one easteregg ladder in DNDR) ? While I personally miss the ladders and can handle them they can be fucking finicky, especially that one in the old mine.

And I was under the impression that the control scheme is what it is because Gothic was originally supposed to be a console game, not because of whatever of was standard or not at the time.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Who can forget those fucking ladders in the Old Mine? I think that particular bug was never fixed.

ZoddGuts

Augur
Is there anything else coming out during summer? I gave up on the insipid DaS II and have doubts Bamco gets it's shit together for a GFWL-free DaS replay. I demoed Wasteland 2 recently and I don't like it one bit. I think Risen 3 will be privileged enough to get Day Month 1 purchased.

Divinity: Original Sin. Though technically it's coming out in Spring, the last day of spring.

curry

Arcane
The original devs of G1/2 are no longer with Piranha Bytes. No matter how much they try to convince you that this new game is like the old Gothics, it's not! Don't believe the hype. It's gonna be console crap like R2.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's gonna be console crap like G2.

rVBCdW3.gif

imweasel

The original devs of G1/2 are no longer with Piranha Bytes. No matter how much they try to convince you that this new game is like the old Gothics, it's not! Don't believe the hype. It's gonna be console crap like G2.
There are still a few guys from the Gothic 2 team at Piranha Bytes.

And Risen 1 is pretty awesome, not to mention that PB learned from their mistakes in Risen 2.

So stop trying to put a damper on our anticipation by being so negative, you asshole. :D The game will be awesome.

:Flash:

Arcane
Tried playing Gothic 1 and the controls were pretty terrible. I did a few quests in the Old Town but got tired of the controls and eventually gave up. Didn't play Gothic 2 nor 3 because they are a direct sequel AFAIK and didn't want to ruin the experience.
Controls are fine. I fucking wince every time I see someone on the Codex complain about them... and it happens far more than it should.

Absolutely. It's a non standard control scheme but it makes perfect sense once you are used to it. I remember playing it on a laptop and not having to use the mouse much was a boon in itself.
It is kinda funny how people today assume that every game needs to follow a standard control scheme. When Gothic was developed, there was no standard control scheme, and the mouse control was added last-minute before release, because it was only shortly before release that mouselook became standard in games.
I remember reading an early preview in a German gaming mag, and the developers were really proud of the control scheme they had come up with (the original one). Gothic was the first 3D game that had found a sensible way of using ladders.
From what the gam has become, that preview was funny anyway. That was at a time when 3D engines couldn't display large outside areas, and that was the reason the game is set in a prison, because at that time the entire prison was an underground dungeon.

I scanned that preview - it's from April 1998:
c29xrv5c.png

aqu8z8tp.png

They promised 13 different guilds, and that the final game would not need more than 9 keys to control, which was seen as a simplification, as "I see no reason, why the player would have to remember several dozens of commands" (Putzki). Gothic was the popamole of its day.:D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom