Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
You're going to have a heart attack at this rate, Randal. I hope there's no more good news this week, just for the sake of your health!

sstacks

Arcane
The PoE documentary is now available free:

Interesting to me how much internal debating they had over doing a Kickstarter, and how much Double Fine had an effect on the industry in general. According to this Obsidian didn't just "try out" KS, they would have gone belly up without it.

Jezal_k23

So I finished the game yesterday and I enjoyed it. But I don't entirely understand a few things, wanted to ask a few questions.

From what I gathered, Woedica wanted to use the hollowborn souls to grant herself power over the other gods, Eothas found out and lost his shit, which led to him taking over Waidwen and leading the campaign toward the Dyrwood in order the destroy the Engwithan machines. I have a few questions about that:

1) During Durance's quest we ended up figuring out that Magran was allied with Woedica at the time, which is why she aided in engineering the godhammer so that Eothas could be stopped. My question is, why the fuck? By the time I went there to commune with the gods, she was against Woedica again. This part confused me, maybe I misunderstood something.

2) Why did Eothas choose Waidwen? Why not someone in the Dyrwood, closer to his targets?

3) So, Thaos wanted to discredit animancy in order to hide the gods being Engwithan constructs. Since this benefits all the gods, why is the Leaden Key tied to Woedica in specific?

4) Any reason in particular for Woedica being so power hungry, or is she just a bitch?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I finished the game yesterday and I enjoyed it. But I don't entirely understand a few things, wanted to ask a few questions.

From what I gathered, Woedica wanted to use the hollowborn souls to grant herself power over the other gods, Eothas found out and lost his shit, which led to him taking over Waidwen and leading the campaign toward the Dyrwood in order the destroy the Engwithan machines. I have a few questions about that:

1) During Durance's quest we ended up figuring out that Magran was allied with Woedica at the time, which is why she aided in engineering the godhammer so that Eothas could be stopped. My question is, why the fuck? By the time I went there to commune with the gods, she was against Woedica again. This part confused me, maybe I misunderstood something.

2) Why did Eothas choose Waidwen? Why not someone in the Dyrwood, closer to his targets?

3) So, Thaos wanted to discredit animancy in order to hide the gods being Engwithan constructs. Since this benefits all the gods, why is the Leaden Key tied to Woedica in specific?

4) Any reason in particular for Woedica being so power hungry, or is she just a bitch?

The answer to most of your questions is basically this:
mystery.png

1) It's possible that Magran didn't realize what Woedica was up to and just thought Eothas was going on a rampage. It's possible that she simply changed her mind about who was the bigger threat after Eothas disappeared. And it's possible that Durance's theory about Waidwen intending to stop Woedica's plan isn't even true.

3) Maybe Woedica as goddess of law/justice/etc is the most paranoid about the possibility of animancy leading to the discovery of the secret and the other gods don't think it's a big deal yet. Maybe as artificial beings, the other gods aren't even "programmed" to realize that it's a big deal. So hiding the secret would be the role of her followers in particular.

Sizzle

Arcane

1) The gods scheme against each other all the time, and shift alliances when it suits them. Magran simply realized that now Woedica is the bigger threat and wants to stop her from gaining too much power.

3) Only Woedica is specifically against this. Other gods like Magran and Galawain even support animancy and the spiritual evolution of the kith races.

4) Woedica's backstory is that she used to be (or just believes she was) the queen and most powerful of all the gods, until she was stripped of her power. She's constantly trying to regain her former status.

2house2fly

Magister
2) Eothas specifically wanted to raise an army, and the best way to do that was to manifest in Raedceras where they all worshipped him and would do what he said easily. He could have done the same thing in the Dyrwood but he'd have a harder time convincing another god's followers to follow him, plus Magran would be pissed off and stop him right away.

As for 3 and 4, Woedica is basically the god of things being the way they should be, and the way things should be is a pyramid with humans at the bottom, the gods above them, and Woedica at the top.

Suicidal

Arcane
Just started playing White March. Wish they would make the expansion content start after you actually finish the main game and not shoved in somewhere in between. Fortunately I had a bunch of saves in separate slots so I loaded the one after the whole Defiance Bay court/revolt event and went in to WM.

Was immediately reminded of Icewind Dale with the "small winterland town under siege by goblins ogres" thing they had going on in the beginning. At the moment I am running around doing some starting quests and I've noticed that the combat seems harder than original PoE. I'm playing on PotD with my party at level ~10 and it offered me to level scale the mobs up when I started WM and I agreed. Fighting those lizardfishmen with impossible to pronounce names in the outside forest is actually pretty challenging - their ranged units like to focus fire my casters doing around 25% of their max hp per shot and paralyzing them, the matriarchs heal spam eachother with such frequency that it takes a coordinated burst attack from my entire team to kill one of them otherwise they just outheal all the damage.

Went into a dragon cave and the dragon killed half of my party by coughing at them as soon as combat started. Think I'm meant to come back later for this one. Also apparently I can avoid combat entirely with the right skill checks that I lack.

And you know what? Despite the combat being the shitty RTwP aidsfest that it is I'm actually having fun killing shit (more so than in the pre-WM PoE) and despite the NPCs greeting my party with gigantic walls of text about inconsequential shit (a serious flaw in writing throughout the entirety of PoE, sadly) I'm interested in finding out about what's gonna happen in the story.

Can't comprehend why some people are still so butthurt about PoE.

Hyperion

Arcane
A lot of them felt like they were screwed over when backing the game. If the devs promised a game more like IWD than PS:T there might be less crying. And the original release of the game was actually rather bland. Also a good portion of it is just that nothing will live up to the nostalgia of playing through games for the first time as a kid.

Suicidal

Arcane
I thought PoE was Baldur's Gate-themed nostalgia baiting and T:ToN is PS:T. I'm pretty sure, if I went back in time to the 12-year old drooling chasing girls around the schoolyard with a piece of dog shit on a stick retard that I was when I first held a Baldur's Gate 2 CD and gave my younger more impressionable self a copy of PoE he would enjoy both games to an equal degree.

Hyperion

Arcane
I think the PoE kickstarter mentioned PS:T because it had Avellone on it. Would BG2 be as heralded if people played it at the same age as they were when they first played PoE? I would think not, because Bioware's writing has always been somewhat childish, that got worse and worse over time.

After all, "Swooping. Is. Bad."

DramaticPopcorn

PoE and White March expansions are on weekend sale on GoG men, approx 60% off
Still, 40% more than I'm willing to pay for it.

Seriosuly, thought. PoE is worthless and is another testament to Obsidian's complete inablilty to provide an actual game. All the years before Kickstarter, they had an excuse of EVUL PUBLISHER, but with PoE release it's clear just how far their ambition actually stretches (spoiler: there's no ambition)

What is clear is that Incline will not come from Obshidian, Inxile or Harebrainded. Never will. Semper fi, motherfuckers

Ivan

Arcane
Finished main quest of WM2. So why, again, does this elf bitch posit that the gods aren't real? Ondra was trying to efface Engiwthian culture b/c they found that there were no gods? WUH? ANYWAY, holy shit this double dragon shit is bananas.

Also, the kraken was SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER unerwhelming

B3E90C8550A61664496505E553100EBBAF0F1B64

0081F588EFA8D2A25063996FE959AADE588E958F

281139DC3427298B12D69B164EF80E0685AD1AB0

unless you're Eothas and u mad cuz Godhammer? p. lame

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The gods aren't real in the sense that they are man-made. Engwithans were the ones who created them after finding out there were no "real" gods. Ondra wants to wipe out remnants of Engwithan civilization because she's the goddess of forgetting and she wants people to stop trying to dig in the past for lost knowledge.
unless you're Eothas and u mad cuz Godhammer? p. lame
That's presumably why he got godhammered in the first place.

2house2fly

Magister
Being blown up probably wasn't great for Eothas's psyche, he's well past following the rules after something like that.

Also did you just hit alt+f4 the second Iovara said "the gods aren't real" because I don't know how else you could have missed her almost-immediate follow up of "ok they're real but they're not gods"

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Just finished my first complete, and also completionist, run. 130 hours. The game + expansions, all dragons but the sky dragon, all bounties. Bleak Walker PC. I left the game at about 95% of completion and returned to it when I heard of the new crowdfunding campaign. I'll give it some thought and I'll write a Metacritic review, as I have done for the expansions. Overall, at version 3.05, it's not that bad. My total time across all characters I've made is about 350-370 hours.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I'm considering another run of PoE with the WM and 3.+ Patch, having only played the game at the 1.0 version (with a cipher). I finished it and did all of the major content I think (finished od Nua but not every single shit quest or bounty)

Is there anything worth knowing beforehand, like major changes to classes or content?
Is there any class or race more worthy of playing? (Due to specific content or somesuch? )

I was thinking of rolling with a priest of Wael if it doesn't matter.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Regarding race, if you want a reduced challenge, I think moon godlike is the cheesiest, because of its healing abilities. You will also most probably get some unique stuff in White March in quests dealing with Ondra.

The most serious change since 1.0 is the change to Dexterity and Resolve (from what I recall). Check the gamepedia wiki for the changes.

I think Paladins get a bit more reactivity than other classes, because of the Paladin orders. Can't think of any class particularly standing out though, just choose one and roleplay the character.

Edit: yeah, I guess priests will get a lot of reactivity too.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Regarding race, if you want a reduced challenge, I think moon godlike is the cheesiest, because of its healing abilities. You will also most probably get some unique stuff in White March in quests dealing with Ondra.

The most serious change since 1.0 is the change to Dexterity and Resolve (from what I recall). Check the gamepedia wiki for the changes.

I think Paladins get a bit more reactivity than other classes, because of the Paladin orders. Can't think of any class particularly standing out though, just choose one and roleplay the character.

Edit: yeah, I guess priests will get a lot of reactivity too.

Thanks for the answer and the suggestions!

So no race or class really sticks out reactivity-wise? (Heard the reaction to being a priest of Eothas was underwhelming for example)

Regarding gameplay changes, I was under the assumption that there had been substantial changes, were I wrong or do the changes simply not affect gameplay choices in any major way (beyond Dex and resolve?).

Suicidal

Arcane
By the way why did the Engwithians create the gods and give them free will to do whatever crazy shit they desired? Maybe I missed or forgot this and this was explained in PoE, but it's been bugging me.

If they had just made obedient powerful robot-like creatures there would be no need for shit like the Godhammer or fighting over which god oversees what aspect of the world and who should be on top and who should be at the bottom.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Major attribute change I remember is Perception. It changes your accuracy now, didn't on release. How did dex and res change?

Eothas priest is considered underwhelming not because it compares poorly to others, but that there should be a lot more just for it considering what you deal with/where you go in game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom