Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Sannom

Augur
The most BG-like silly thing I can think of is Eder's obsession with petting anything that looks soft, from Itumaak's fur to Hiravias' head. Despite probably knowing that he really shouldn't.

mitochondritom

Educated
Quite a lot of any NPC's interactions with Durance are quite at odds with his character. They sort of speak to him as if he is a sort of dirty/racist uncle and mock him, but actually its like he is some sort of dirty/racist uncle with a history of murdering heretics and also detonating a magical nuclear bomb on a god. From your interactions with him early on he seems dangerous, the dialogue talks about his staff and how he seems like he is about to fuck someone up. Hell if your character is an Orlan he will tell you he thinks you should be skinned and turned into a stool. It seems like all the party should be wary of him and not make jokes about his pox ridden dick.

It is tricky to add humour in these games though, too much and you risk losing any semblance of seriousness in the plot (Divinity OS). Bioware's more recent games suffer massively from irreverent shit popping up in their desperately serious cutscenes. Pillars just about gets it, there are some humorous bits but it doesn't really stray into lol monkey cheese garbage. Its nowhere near as bad as Jans turnip shit followed by 2000 words of Aeire weeping about her wings though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If they had passed 1 million, they would have bragged about it. 800-something thousand is where it's probably still at.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Quite a lot of any NPC's interactions with Durance are quite at odds with his character. They sort of speak to him as if he is a sort of dirty/racist uncle and mock him, but actually its like he is some sort of dirty/racist uncle with a history of murdering heretics and also detonating a magical nuclear bomb on a god. From your interactions with him early on he seems dangerous, the dialogue talks about his staff and how he seems like he is about to fuck someone up. Hell if your character is an Orlan he will tell you he thinks you should be skinned and turned into a stool. It seems like all the party should be wary of him and not make jokes about his pox ridden dick.

It is tricky to add humour in these games though, too much and you risk losing any semblance of seriousness in the plot (Divinity OS). Bioware's more recent games suffer massively from irreverent shit popping up in their desperately serious cutscenes. Pillars just about gets it, there are some humorous bits but it doesn't really stray into lol monkey cheese garbage. Its nowhere near as bad as Jans turnip shit followed by 2000 words of Aeire weeping about her wings though.

Codex is full of faux (?) Nazis but our most prominent moderator is a Jewish inhabitant of Israel. Or, Communists and Nationalists in China joined together to fight the Japanese when they roasted each other alive before and after. Democrat and Republican bipartisanship etc...

Point is, shared circumstances can coax fierce enemies into a state of functional solidarity.

Of course, it would have been better if rival companions were programmed to kill each other or leave the party ala Annah in PS:T.

It's also worth noting that Durance is a "fire and brimstone" preacher who is mostly talk unless he gets caught up with a mob.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane

Being the Watcher, you're the only one who can perceive Durance for what he really is, he'd never confide about his past if you weren't. So besides that, all the other characters only see an ugly dude who's constantly talking smack about fiery whores and Eothas getting blown up. If they knew the truth, some of them (Eder, for one) would probably refuse to travel with him.

It's also worth noting that before Durance and Grieving Mother got cut, their stories were intertwined - Durance was supposed to have tortured her during the Purges, and she lashed out in defense, wounding his soul.

As it stands now, he's the only character who's personal quest and story are directly tied to the main story (and reveal) of PoE.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Have Grace in your party an admit feelings for her in Ravel's Maze I think, Annah tells you to fuck off a bit later usually. Then again I think i've had it happen in Sigil once or twice, so might be just gettin friendly wi Grace sets er off.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88592-unique-backer-related-issue-need-some-help-here/#entry1834724

We should have a DVD 3.03 DLC download available for purchase soon.

Note: I will not be purchasing the DLC for already-stated reasons.

Additional Note: I noticed that he said "3.03" instead of "3.04" but it'll do.

He didn't actually say they would release a patch for the DVD version. Inb4 the only way to update to 3.03 is to buy the expansion.

Today I finished the game again with the White March expansion completed as a hole. Managed to surpass 400 hours of play and it was such an epic journey. Finally an expansion that fixed a lot of the problems (there are still problems) but it made the game better and with choices and consequences that you can see even in the end of the game (results from expansion). Can't wait for PoE2! Until then I hope I can have a blast with Tyranny and TTON.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JJj3iiOF0iSzBucVYzMVpablE/view?usp=sharing

Shadenuat

Arcane
That feeling when you realise you killed your own fun by coming to Mowrghek Îen at level 16
:deadhorse:
Why did Sawyer try to fight everything he thought wrong with RPGs except level gains trivializing content?

I ctrl-v'ed Mowrghek Îen from Steam achievements because I could't write it right in Google to find how you actually write it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Level gains trivializing content is a deliberate feature on account of the "higher hit chance increases criticals" that they're also carrying over into Tyranny. A non-trivial number of people like the feeling of crushing lower level enemies with no effort. If you don't like it, there's always their awkward optional level scaling feature (which will be mandatory in Tyranny).

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mowrghek Îen is level 16 content. It's the optional-toughest-area, like Cragholdt (and ice dragon) to TWM1 (14) and lower endless paths (12). If that's not made for 16, nothing is.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Not a fan of attribute level scaling, I'd probably prefer monster(encounter) tables. Either way it's a problem that shouldn't be fixed on systemic level alone, some sort of reactivity should happen if you meet/slay creatures that are too low or high level.

Mowrghek Îen is level 16 content. It's the optional-toughest-area, like Cragholdt (and ice dragon) to TWM1 (14) and lower endless paths (12). If that's not made for 16, nothing is.
Everything except boss is easy for level 12-14 party. I decided to gain a few levels but ended up in an awkward situation of just roflstomping boss at level 16.
I believe she's optimised for level 14.

It was same for me with Ice Dragon. Suddenly a few levels make something which looks unkillable (with these enemies now being immune to exploits like paralyze and 90% of all best control spells in the game) into a trivial battle where 2 rounds of good buffs win everything for you.

New immunities really screw up control builds btw. Before it was good to carry 2 nukers around, but control-wizard for example was a viable option too. Now I would never play a CC-char again - priest buffs and then dd/nukes nukes nukes. That's JS approved strategy now.

Grimnir

Novice
I had 2 cc-chars and no nukers. You can still cc everybody pretty easily. Alpine dragon can be petrified, adra dragon can be paralyzed, etc.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yea for 4 seconds?
I think 16th level Durance just annihilated whole boss encounter for me with his fire rain spell and buffs. My Wizard's Wall of Many Colors was way less impressive in the end than I thought.

Also druids of all classes got a buff, and paid just with petrify in one of spells. Like they needed more cool shit.

Grieving Mom is still meh. Tried with SilverFlash/twin crossbow/other toys & DR piercing modal, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
Devil of Caroc also felt meh.
Sagani seems like better and more reliable source of damage.
Zahua with all the super items is a rape train.

And Maneha, game agreed with my opinion on her with this strange bug:

fqZA2ou.jpg

Grimnir

Novice
Yea for 4 seconds?
I think 16th level Durance just annihilated whole boss encounter for me with his fire rain spell and buffs. My Wizard's Wall of Many Colors was way less impressive in the end than I thought.

Also druids of all classes got a buff, and paid just with petrify in one of spells. Like they needed more cool shit.

Grieving Mom is still meh. Tried with SilverFlash/twin crossbow/other toys & DR piercing modal, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Devil of Caroc also felt meh.
Sagani seems like better and more reliable source of damage.
Zahua with all the super items is a rape train.

And Maneha, game agreed with my opinion on her with this strange bug:

I get 15 seconds with enough buffs & debuffs, which is enough to murder anything or apply more cc.

If you have both Grieving Mother and Zahua and on your team, cast Reaping Knives on him. Zahua's unarmed attacks become raw damage (bypasses immunities and DR), and Grieving Mother has practically unlimited focus..

Shadenuat

Arcane
Knives, good idea, although costly in focus.
I picked that ability that adds fire damage per wound and he killed Ice Dragon that way (-DR=0 damage +17.5 whatever fire damage per hit) worked fine.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sawyer going GDC Europe (August 15-16 at Cologne, Germany): http://schedule.gdceurope.com/session/looking-back-and-moving-forward-with-pillars-of-eternity

Looking Back and Moving Forward with Pillars of Eternity

'Pillars of Eternity' is a crowdfunded PC RPG with its roots in 'Baldur's Gate', 'Icewind Dale', and 'Planescape: Torment'. Creating a spiritual successor to such beloved games after more than a decade presented a number of challenges. This talk looks at several of these problems and examines how the team at Obsidian attempted to achieve a classic look and feel while accounting for contemporary design sensibilities. The session will also show what Obsidian learned from its successes and failures and how the team plans to apply those lessons in the future.

Takeaway
Attendees will gain insights into the benefits and pitfalls of making a "retro classic", especially for a crowdfunding audience that is emotionally (and financially) invested from the start of the project. Special emphasis will be given to feeling and its significance to players.

Intended Audience
This talk will benefit anyone involved in the creation of retro classic / "old school" games as well as people involved in working with an active community of crowdfunding backers. The lecture will use RPG terms, but will not require deep RPG knowledge.

Looks more general post-mortem talk than the attributes talk.

Here it comes:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I wonder if this one will be as strange as the Linear-Scaling-Supremacy talk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom