Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Obsidian should just make a tb combat system for the sequel, all this dicking around with rtwp won't make it suddenly be good.

Aenra

Obsidian should just make a tb combat system for the sequel, all this dicking around with rtwp won't make it suddenly be good.

I like points you make. Also like sacrifices. Tried posting on profile, tell you things about Balrum+Cheat engine table being out now, but could not. Spirits not let me. Why spirits no let me.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I like points you make. Also like sacrifices. Tried posting on profile, tell you things about Balrum+Cheat engine table being out now, but could not. Spirits not let me. Why spirits no let me.
Oh, there's finally a cheat table for balrum? Holy Spirit approves, I hope it allows faster walking speed.

Bonerbill

Augur

Yeah, why does this faggot have his profile set to private. Is he afraid of something?

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Yeah, why does this faggot have his profile set to private. Is he afraid of something?

Didnt even realize my profile was private, you can now visit it at will... bring presents.

tdphys

Learned
safespace.png

Umm.
Looks like an achievement for ignoring half the active userbase.

Also you people say 3.0 made the game a lot better than 1.0 but then you say immunities ruined combat? Choose one FFS

The immunities on enemies make the combat challenges more varied, since you have to vary the way to debuff and damage different foes. I just finished WMI on POTD and spent most of it with my main priest at sub level 8 , which is where you get the group immunities to paralysis. The lagufeth fights turned into a counter-control fest and were decidedly different then the ogre and troll fights. Immunities changed the game for the better, but the prayers against giving immunities made the party (and priest) stronger. I think they should keep the defense buffs for the prayers and go for the immunities as single targeted high-ish level spells.

The one affliction that there's seemingly no defense against is stunned... and that makes wraiths and spectres the bane they're meant to be.

Part of me thinks that by going with immunity on the prayer spells is because certain groups of people have a hard time with the *fuzzier* percentage based bonuses and find it easier to decision make when it's an all or nothing effect *cough* - BG2 fans - *cough*. Math is hard.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
:M Josh has learned a valuable lesson :M

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&perpage=40&pagenumber=783#post457115726
Sawyer said:
They do have a point that the story probably wasn't helped by being built by committee, and hopefully a sequel would have the lead writer being the boss and saying "this is the story we're going to do" rather than trying to please everyone else.
In the future, any game I direct will use the same process that I used on Fallout: New Vegas. I establish basic starting and ending points with a select number of important principles I think should guide the story, and then the narrative lead works toward that until we're both happy.

Dwarvophile

Liturgist
I see... I 'll nag, then.
He's already released TWM2 guides.

Thx. I prefer to read when having the choice, reason why I didn't check the vids.

On a different topic (combat in WM), the encounters layout seems to be better designed in part one already.
Also I believe that immunities and strong resistance add color and contrast to combats. And I don't know Kacke about programming but I wouldn't be surprise if a more nuanced system, without immunities and strong resistances is harder for the AI to handle.
Funny, in a totally different kind of game (attila total war) combats recently benefitted from a return to a more rock paper scisor-ish approach.

Last edited:

Seaking4

Learned
For the people discussing the amount of characters on screen at a time: The Battle of Yenwood actually had a decent amount of people fighting at the same time. More than I expected and I didn't notice any slowdowns so maybe they got that solved.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:M Josh has learned a valuable lesson :M

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...06905&perpage=40&pagenumber=783#post457115726
Sawyer said:
They do have a point that the story probably wasn't helped by being built by committee, and hopefully a sequel would have the lead writer being the boss and saying "this is the story we're going to do" rather than trying to please everyone else.
In the future, any game I direct will use the same process that I used on Fallout: New Vegas. I establish basic starting and ending points with a select number of important principles I think should guide the story, and then the narrative lead works toward that until we're both happy.

Oasx posted:
Good interview despite many of the questions having a heavy RPG Codex bias.

My favorite is how all the RPG Codex awful comes out of hiding for the last question "So why DID you sell out to The Lamestream, and how much exactly do you suck now without the guiding light of Avellone-sama?"

+M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
As someone who has not seen Somethingawful, I imagine it as a giant butthole in a state of excrushiating pain.

Wolfe

Arbiter
For the people discussing the amount of characters on screen at a time: The Battle of Yenwood actually had a decent amount of people fighting at the same time. More than I expected and I didn't notice any slowdowns so maybe they got that solved.

My fps dropped to about 30 during that scene, despite having a really powerful rig..

luzarius

Barely Literate
I really liked the brothel in POE, but, did they add any romance options yet in these expansions? Let me guess, the expansion is full of mindless kill quests and lots of pointless, repetitive combat right? These game developers are far too predictable.

I was thinking of playing POE again on trial of iron, max difficulty, but the thought of facing those druid ogres again has dissuaded me *sigh*.

This is me dying in a blind play through on max difficulty, trial of iron - http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius/v/9134529 - The reason I died is because my ranger's AUTO queued attacks got canceled somehow, so my ranger was sitting there doing nothing. In other words, I didn't know attacks cancel queued attacks (which is fucking stupid as fuck). If I knew that some attacks cause some form of amnesia (hence forgetting to perform queued attacks) I would of adjusted my tactics accordingly, but the game's lore and spell explanations fail to provide this vital informatiopn.

Anyways, the brothel in game lacks depth. The brothel has no art either, so when you shag one of the slags, there is no erotic or stimulating art that captures the spirit of the moment. This usually means the developers are spineless and most likely have given in to sex negative feminists, in other words, sex negative feminists have cut off the balls of all male devs on the POE team.

Introducing WHITE MARCH, an expansion devoid of story where you kill the same npc's over and over again. *sigh* WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER OF GAMING.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Where does the expansion start in the game ? I might actually give PoE another try.
When you meet the secret group in the sewers during the main quest. You can do this as soon as you access defiance bay.

edit:

I really liked the brothel in POE, but, did they add any romance options yet in these expansions? Let me guess, the expansion is full of mindless kill quests and lots of pointless, repetitive combat right? These game developers are far too predictable.

I was thinking of playing POE again on trial of iron, max difficulty, but the thought of facing those druid ogres again has dissuaded me *sigh*.

This is me dying in a blind play through on max difficulty, trial of iron - http://www.twitch.tv/luzarius/v/9134529 - The reason I died is because my ranger's AUTO queued attacks got canceled somehow, so my ranger was sitting there doing nothing. In other words, I didn't know attacks cancel queued attacks (which is fucking stupid as fuck). If I knew that some attacks cause some form of amnesia (hence forgetting to perform queued attacks) I would of adjusted my tactics accordingly, but the game's lore and spell explanations fail to provide this vital informatiopn.

Anyways, the brothel in game lacks depth. The brothel has no art either, so when you shag one of the slags, there is no erotic or stimulating art that captures the spirit of the moment. This usually means the developers are spineless and most likely have given in to sex negative feminists, in other words, sex negative feminists have cut off the balls of all male devs on the POE team.

Introducing WHITE MARCH, an expansion devoid of story where you kill the same npc's over and over again. *sigh* WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER OF GAMING.

:lol: This is all over the place. Some of this sounds familiar though ...

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80854-salty-mast-scenes-fade-to-black/

Keep fighting the good fight.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
Why the hell they went with a different approach when FNV apparently worked so well is the real question.

- No pressure from a publisher contract meant they were given the opportunity to experiment with workflow and design strategies.
- Limited resources meant they were forced to experiment with workflow and design strategies.

Take your pick. Probably a bit of both.

I don't think Obs or Sawyer have ever said how many people in total ended up working on the game. I'd love to know.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
He also joined an hour USGamer RPG podcast interview:

Things Josh wants to improve in the future: Better combat pacing, more dynamic environments and environmental interaction, more C&C and reactivity.

Josh says there was a deliberate effort to make TWM less dense than the main game, a bit closer to BG1 than BG2.

Some talk about the stronghold. Josh takes the blame for emphasizing systems over content and once again says the sequel will be different.

But the (totally tranny) interviewer actually mostly cares about there not being enough people in the stronghold, which leads to a discussion of what agris asked about earlier ITT. Large crowds cause slowdowns on low-end machines, plus "logistical problems" during the stronghold attacks. Also writing dialogue for all them would take some work. But Josh regrets not adding them anyway.

Wow! Josh admits they implemented hard counters by adding the various immunities in 2.0/3.0. "Or the possibility for hard counters".

Holy Shit. :lol:

Here comes the inevitable back flips of logic and rationalizations for shit designs. Except Sawyer has run out of scapegoats.

Some talk about hardcore fans who played the old games vs new fans who didn't. Josh says satisfying the oldschool fans is the most important thing, but at the same time, they can't rely on them forever. But they don't want to ever change the game so much that its original spirit is lost.

Seems Obsidian is starting to realize they can't shit on their grognards forever - who else is gonna drop 1000 dollars on a kickstarter pledge for a signed coffee mug and a pipe smoking dead god NPC. :roll:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
BG2 does not have a lot of NPCs in cities. Amn feels alive because of ambient sounds, generic NPCs having roles (merchants, hookers, town criers, etc) and in general just having more "town life" stuff like food stalls, poetry stands, shrines and shit.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright. I've been playing through 3.0 and have really been enjoying the subtle changes and increased difficulty that I've found so far. I'm about to reach Defiance Bay and wanted to get those who have the full expansions opinion: is it worth buying at the full $25 dollar price? Also bearing in mind I most likely won't be replaying PoE again for several years to come. Does it add a lot to the experience? Will I finish it and still want to play through the rest of the game?

Just wanted to see if I could get some thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
got back to Baldurs Gate 2 today. Never got to finish it because at the time of launch I was to little to know English so well. I can't believe how much better it is compared to Pillars in terms of atmosphere, mystery, and the amount of quests you get right after exiting the dungeon is incredible. I don't think there is any hope of doing another game of this scope nowadays although Pillars is the closest.

Trimis de pe al meu Galaxy Nexus folosind Tapatalk

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright. I've been playing through 3.0 and have really been enjoying the subtle changes and increased difficulty that I've found so far. I'm about to reach Defiance Bay and wanted to get those who have the full expansions opinion: is it worth buying at the full $25 dollar price? Also bearing in mind I most likely won't be replaying PoE again in several years. Does it add a lot to the experience? Will I finish it and still want to play through the rest of the game?

Just wanted to see if I could get some thoughts on the matter.
I have not played TWM2 yet, but at least inTWM1, I thought Obsidian crafted a much better experience, especially with the quests and using Watcher abilities. Also, I thought the encounters and the atmosphere were better, especially in the Durgan's Battery dungeon. Specifically, the ghosts of dwarves allow you slowly piece together what happened as you progress through the dungeon. I think that was a much better use of the Watcher ability, especially compared to the base game.

If you enjoy PoE, then I think TWM is a good investment, because it presents an improvement over the base game.

ushas

Savant
yeah, likewise, they are less shy to use those scripted interactions, if you like those. Also, MW1 is quiet combat heavy (haven't touched MW2 yet too)

Hegel

Arcane
got back to Baldurs Gate 2 today. Never got to finish it because at the time of launch I was to little to know English so well. I can't believe how much better it is compared to Pillars in terms of atmosphere, mystery, and the amount of quests you get right after exiting the dungeon is incredible. I don't think there is any hope of doing another game of this scope nowadays although Pillars is the closest.

Trimis de pe al meu Galaxy Nexus folosind Tapatalk
The best thing about BGII was the sense of wonder. The game was just overwhelming.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom