Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity Patch 3.0 New Features Video

DeepOcean

Arcane
Story mode to experience a rich story.
Experience
Story mode
Rich story
:philosoraptor:

MrE

Literate
I've seen quite a few bad players express that they can't even make it through on easy.

Yes, but are they the target? I mean considering the pitch about nostalgia etc. Not sure really but if it gets Obsidian more money, then why not - hopefully more money = better game next time.

Story mode isn't just a difficulty mode. Its a rebranding that refocuses the intended experience from 'game' to CYOA. A lot of people are simply so new to RPGs and games in general that they can't beat a game like Pillars of Eternity on easy. They simply can't see the ropes just yet. Some are even uninterested in the genre and would rather play a CYOAdventure. That's the niche this change fills. I don't necessarily like it but its what it is.

This is what they say in the trailer: 'A new, optional difficulty mode had been added that allows you to focus on the story of Pillars of Eternity without the need to specialize your party for combat. This does lower the difficulty of combat but you'll still experience the same rich narrative as everyone else.' So the only thing that changes is the combat difficulty, the combat is still there. You can't skip it, you won't get an auto-win (well, maybe you practically will, I'm not going to check it), though I admit I've never played any (digital) CYOA, so maybe they're just like this nowadays. About 'people (...) so new to PRGs' and 'gamers (...) can't beat a game like Pillars of Eternity on easy' (kids?) see above.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom