Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
He gave me a good answer. Thanks, Josh. :salute:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Oh, cool, I can now check stats of characters during the scripted interactions, by clicking their portrait. That's pretty much like in King of Dragon Pass :D Good.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Someone asked for quest markers...

"Many of us got stuck in an area in tyranny and didn't know where to go. Help. Helllllllllllllllllllllp."

Lol. Glad Josh shot that down (albeit in as nice a fashion as possible by saying that maps should be designed where that's not an issue)

Arulan

Cipher
They answered my Skills question. It looks like they're dividing Skills into active and passive, of which generally active are combat-benefits and passive are used for scripted events and dialogue, but some may do both. They're also expanding the number of Skills significantly, but avoiding all-encompassing Skills and instead focusing on more specific ones. He gave the example of Lore versus Metaphysical knowledge. Also Pick-pocketing confirmed.

Fry

Arcane
Sigh. I tried again to get him to explain whether or not access to spells for the lowest class is based on the level of the highest class.
I *know* power level advances, Josh, that wasn't the question.

I give up. Guess I'll find out later.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sigh. I tried again to get him to explain whether or not access to spells for the lowest class is based on the level of the highest class.
I *know* power level advances, Josh, that wasn't the question.

I give up. Guess I'll find out later.

He answered you just fine. It's based on the lowest class Power Source level and that's it. "Class levels" have no meaning.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane
And yet, class levels still exist. All he has to say here is "spell level is equivalent to power level".

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
No new stretch goal yet: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=258#updates

Update #10 - $2.4 M Hit! Double V.O., Korean, and... Pillars of Eternity Pen and Paper RPG!
POSTED: 02/09/2017

Thank you so much to all our backers and investors for helping us hit $2.4 million in funding. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire just keeps getting better and better as a result of your support. As usual, we've got a whole bunch of cool reveals for you in this update.

Introducing the Pillars of Eternity Pen-and-Paper RPG

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F8a6d28066da82c92%2F9b668bb0dda5163b%2Ffb5bf369686f7803%2Fa0c5beb5fb004174

First and foremost, we are excited to announce that everyone who has backed us at the Premium Digital tier and above will be getting a boost! Today, we're officially announcing the Pillars of Eternity pen-and-paper RPG experience! This new journey to the world of Eora begins with a 30-pageStarter's Guide, featuring a rule set developed from the ground up by Josh Sawyer and the Pillars of Eternity design team. Now, you can have your own adventures with your friends, in the comfort of your favorite tabletop setting.Best of all, if you've backed the campaign at Premium Digital or above you literally don't have to do anything to get this. Pillars of Eternity RPG is our own take on how to play a pen and paper game; it will not be using the Pillars of Eternity computer game system or that of any other RPG - it's going to use our own ruleset made specifically for the Pillars of Eternity world. Of course, if you haven't backed us at Premium Digital or above, we won't shut you out! You can get the pen-and-paper Starter's Guide for just $7 as an add-on, as well.

Stretch Goal Update

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F2a6e5aa111ee1af5%2F5a1ec7a0b192c4d1%2F9702f2b9c3ada8c2%2F3b5d1ec318c2471e

With your help, we hit the$2.4 million stretch goal, which will add double the amount of V.O. to the game -- and we welcome our Korean friends to enjoy Deadfire in their native language. Feargus has approved the V.O. budget to be exactly double what we had plans for originally, which means you'll be able to hear more of our your favorite companions, villains, and heroes throughout your adventure.

As a special treat, Matthew Mercer, the talent behind the voices of Edér and Aloth, had some kind words to share on learning we hit this goal:

"As a gamer who has held a deep love of the Isometric RPG genre (Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are still some of my favorite games of all time), the opportunity to work on such an incredible new entry into the genre was an absolute joy. The love and care put into the dialogue and storytelling in Pillars of Eternity was a gift to us performers, and I've grown extremely attached to both Edér and Aloth as a result. The chance to return to portray and continue to explore these two fellows has me ecstatic!"

It's hard to keep up with the generous pledges and investments that keep pouring in, but rest assured, we plan on releasing more stretch goals as soon as we hit new ones. Currently, we are aiming for the $2.6 million stretch goal which will add Berath's Blessings to the game - our version of New Game+ which doesn't require you to finish the game to enjoy new bonuses and features.

One Final Bonus

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F90ee24262d7e179f%2F191cce8be6530205%2F53e83a943eab25a5%2F37a597dd10810b22

As an added bonus, we would like to add Cooking with Tim, Vol. 1, a digital RPG cookbook, to all backers at Premium Digital and above. Many of you didn't receive this from our first campaign, and Tim was happy to share his recipes once again. Tim is currently very busy with super-secret game here at Obsidian, and he wishes the Pillars II team well on our campaign and development, so thank you, Tim!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fcea3d75946d8a438%2F3a52fe006ed5daa4%2Fe0caf432015aaa1d%2F897ba0334581854f

Once again, thank you, and please look forward to our next update later in the week from Lead Artist Kazunori Aruga, who will update you on the latest graphics technology in Deadfire!

Sentinel

Arcane
No new stretch goal yet: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire?update=258#updates

Update #10 - $2.4 M Hit! Double V.O., Korean, and... Pillars of Eternity Pen and Paper RPG!
POSTED: 02/09/2017

Thank you so much to all our backers and investors for helping us hit $2.4 million in funding. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire just keeps getting better and better as a result of your support. As usual, we've got a whole bunch of cool reveals for you in this update.

Introducing the Pillars of Eternity Pen-and-Paper RPG

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F8a6d28066da82c92%2F9b668bb0dda5163b%2Ffb5bf369686f7803%2Fa0c5beb5fb004174

First and foremost, we are excited to announce that everyone who has backed us at the Premium Digital tier and above will be getting a boost! Today, we're officially announcing the Pillars of Eternity pen-and-paper RPG experience! This new journey to the world of Eora begins with a 30-pageStarter's Guide, featuring a rule set developed from the ground up by Josh Sawyer and the Pillars of Eternity design team. Now, you can have your own adventures with your friends, in the comfort of your favorite tabletop setting.Best of all, if you've backed the campaign at Premium Digital or above you literally don't have to do anything to get this. Pillars of Eternity RPG is our own take on how to play a pen and paper game; it will not be using the Pillars of Eternity computer game system or that of any other RPG - it's going to use our own ruleset made specifically for the Pillars of Eternity world. Of course, if you haven't backed us at Premium Digital or above, we won't shut you out! You can get the pen-and-paper Starter's Guide for just $7 as an add-on, as well.

Stretch Goal Update

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F2a6e5aa111ee1af5%2F5a1ec7a0b192c4d1%2F9702f2b9c3ada8c2%2F3b5d1ec318c2471e

With your help, we hit the$2.4 million stretch goal, which will add double the amount of V.O. to the game -- and we welcome our Korean friends to enjoy Deadfire in their native language. Feargus has approved the V.O. budget to be exactly double what we had plans for originally, which means you'll be able to hear more of our your favorite companions, villains, and heroes throughout your adventure.

As a special treat, Matthew Mercer, the talent behind the voices of Edér and Aloth, had some kind words to share on learning we hit this goal:

"As a gamer who has held a deep love of the Isometric RPG genre (Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment are still some of my favorite games of all time), the opportunity to work on such an incredible new entry into the genre was an absolute joy. The love and care put into the dialogue and storytelling in Pillars of Eternity was a gift to us performers, and I've grown extremely attached to both Edér and Aloth as a result. The chance to return to portray and continue to explore these two fellows has me ecstatic!"

It's hard to keep up with the generous pledges and investments that keep pouring in, but rest assured, we plan on releasing more stretch goals as soon as we hit new ones. Currently, we are aiming for the $2.6 million stretch goal which will add Berath's Blessings to the game - our version of New Game+ which doesn't require you to finish the game to enjoy new bonuses and features.

One Final Bonus

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2F90ee24262d7e179f%2F191cce8be6530205%2F53e83a943eab25a5%2F37a597dd10810b22

As an added bonus, we would like to add Cooking with Tim, Vol. 1, a digital RPG cookbook, to all backers at Premium Digital and above. Many of you didn't receive this from our first campaign, and Tim was happy to share his recipes once again. Tim is currently very busy with super-secret game here at Obsidian, and he wishes the Pillars II team well on our campaign and development, so thank you, Tim!

https%3A%2F%2Fplayfig.s3.amazonaws.com%2FCampaignBodyImage%2Fimage%2Fdata%2Fcea3d75946d8a438%2F3a52fe006ed5daa4%2Fe0caf432015aaa1d%2F897ba0334581854f

Once again, thank you, and please look forward to our next update later in the week from Lead Artist Kazunori Aruga, who will update you on the latest graphics technology in Deadfire!
Jesus that fucking sand. Honestly the artists on this are pretty fucking good mate not gonna lie. That use of shadowing to create the illusion of depth.

Also just noticed that the mage struggles to walk because his feet are deep in sand shit. Pretty neat detail.

Fairfax

Arcane
https://www.fig.co/campaigns/deadfire/invest

WE'VE RECEIVED OVER $2M IN RESERVATIONS FOR THIS CAMPAIGN. ALL NEW RESERVATION ARE BEING ADDED TO A WAIT LIST AND COLLECTIONS WILL BE ON A FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVED BASIS.

Boom. We know $3.2M+ is guaranteed now.
Are you expecting backer funding to reach that point or a large injection of funds from Fig (just like W3's 2.25M)?

If I am understanding the Fig announcement correctly, backers are now able to buy the Fig securities directly? Has that caused an uptick in funding on other campaigns?

Nono, the announcement is basically that they've already reached their quota of $2M of investments ("Fig Funds") even though the main campaign page doesn't show that yet.
Keep in mind you don't have to include any payment information to make a reservation. I "reserved" 100k on the first few days just to see if it'd give any links to investor materials, but they're still not available.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Deadfire, graphics alone, is shaping up to be what was previously thought of as impossible: a crowdfunded RPG that actually looks really nice while using 3D characters.

Only God knows how great this game could look like if it had a AAA budget.

2house2fly

Magister
Sawyer is really lively in this one compared to usual

I like "Players might dismiss the gods after the end of PoE, do you plan to challenge this idea?" "I think the gods plan to challenge that idea"

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are gamebanshee raising money for this too? Because their backer content in poe is alot cooler than codex's which is lame club with lame nerds and lame ring

jk i love u all

Ivan

Arcane
Wonder if ppl are not pledging to the Codex Deadfire campaign b/c we forfeit the $5 discount

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has Josh given any explination for cutting the party size from 6 to 5 or just for the lulz applies now?
Btw fucking awesome sand effects

Prime Junta

Why do people hate definace bay so much? Is it because it feels more like a grab bag of good ideas than a solid concept? (Zombie Apocalypse + mafia + Steampunk soul robots + etc)

I don't know that people hate it (except the ones who hate everything about Pillars anyway) as feel somewhat let down by it. Consciously or not, I think many of us were expecting something like Athkatla, and ... well, it isn't. It's a bit thin on quests, there's a lot of empty space with nothing much going on, there is nothing much by way of ambience (remember "Apples, one copper!"), and it generally feels more like a hygienic set than the rough, busy, dirty, somewhat dangerous city it's supposed to be.

Father Foreskin

Learned
I hope Calisca or whatever her name was makes a comeback ( i think there was an option where she left at night and lived)

I was playing Poe for the first time, going around the dungeon killing shit and having a blast. Had my waifu and my bitch-boy with me. Then its just all gone, in a cutscene no less. What kind of mentally challenged game desing is that? Fucking balanced game when the most fearsome opponent youll ever face is a fucking cutscene in the tutorial

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom