Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - BETA Released - Coming April 3rd

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    I don't see a reason to let them maintain their "identity" and I don't think it's really a conflict. They don't have that much of a culture outside of different names for gods and the fruit eating thing. I guess the social strata, too, but social positions aren't exclusive to them. Everyone says how shit it is to live there, how there's no food and how the lagufaeth are encroaching on their territory. They are trying to experiment with the lagufaeth children, which has no guaranteed results, and that one guy who wants to save the seeds of the fruits, but everyone in the village is against that, so it's not sustainable.

^ Top  
  2. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Honestly I'm not to bothered with how combat will be on release. The class system Sawyer devised almost guarantees combat is going to be broken, but at the same time it should make for good replayability and if he has proven one thing, its that he is willing to spend time and resources on polishing the gameplay. So I think that's a price worth paying for unbalanced combat on launch.

The important part is if they get other shit right. Fallout style world map exploration combined with pirate theme with archipelagos, weird islands, sea monsters, hidden treasures and shit like that is 100% incline. So that alone should be massive improvement over the first game. So that +100 hours of WM quality RPG and we got ourselves a real diamond. But 100 hours of Twin Elms and we've got ourselves a turd.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Jarpie Arcane Patron

Jarpie
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA
    If that's the case, hopefully PoE 2's good content isn't frontloaded like in BG2. BG2 imo falls apart after you leave the city, the drow stuff especially was pretty fucking shit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Oh, the combat will be a complete disaster on launch, I'm 99.99% certain of that. It is a disaster now, a very limited slice, let alone the whole game only their retarded (judging by previous experiences) internal playtesters have tried.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    I still don't get it why they reduced the party size

• Balanced Balanced x 2
    • :( :( x 1
    • Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Sannom Savant

Sannom
    Parrots:
    FUCK THAT QUOTE FEATURE! FUCK IT DRY WITH GRAVEL! PROGRAMMERS, LEARN TO PROGRAM SHIT AND TEST IT!

Five is a nice, prime number. That's why I always kept to that party size in BG2. Well, that and you didn't really need a specialized thief, so you could fill up your secondary arcane caster with a thief/mage.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. IHaveHugeNick Arcane

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    I prefer it at 5. It should improve readability of combat - POE1 was too much of a visual clusterfuck. More importantly should make designing a party much more challenging. With 6 and the existing classes you could really pack the party with everything and then some, and so the only make to you sweat was by throwing 10000 trash mobs at you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Iskramor Prospernaut

Iskramor
    Parrots:
    My prediction is that everything will be ok except writing.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Yes, the 5 party limit does indeed feel a little bit more limited in a good way. It doesn't improve readability at all, though, somehow it's even more of a clusterfuck than P1. Although P1 is in the unfortunate state of Priests carrying the entire party by themselves and the whole game playing completely different if you don't have one in the party, so there's that.

Compared to P1 and average video game standards, the writing in the beta is ok. As in, it's over quickly enough that it doesn't get on your nerves. I'd say it's on the same level as White March. It's still terrible compared to pretty much every other standard, but that's neither here nor there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Iskramor Prospernaut

Iskramor
    Parrots:
    But lore dumps are not will not be fixed so how writing is exacly better? Are they tunned down adjectives and descriptions?

^ Top  
  11. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    It's not better than White March, but it's better than base PoE1. All text is basically formed of 2 sentence "blocks" like WM. The lore is mostly crammed into those obnoxious hyperlink words. There is no poetry or competent word-play, no. The adjectives are still there only to use adjectives, some of them don't even make sense. It's a bit of a chore to read sometimes, but I didn't expect anything else. It doesn't waste too much of your time and it's completely optional, you don't lose anything by not reading 90% of the text. The main quest has some wasted potential, it includes a character you hear about in Tikawara and you can try to use that information in the dialogue with that character, but it doesn't go anywhere, they attack you either way.

^ Top  
  12. LESS T_T Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

LESS T_T
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    It's a backwater village, I really didn't expect to learn that much about their way of life. Nor did I care to. You, for some reason, did (I guess), even though pointless filler info like that is one of the things you criticized the most about PoE1.

Yes, that's what the conflict is about - they are living on an island that has had most of its resources depleted. Traditionally, they travel to another island when that happens. But their Chieftain wants to establish trade with the Vailians and bring about some (he hopes) long-term stability to their way of life, instead of having them hop island to island every few years.

Both choices come with problems of their own: there are no guarantees the Vailians will want to trade with them (or that they won't enslave/take advantage of them), and there are no guarantees that any other nearby islands will be any better.

The quest also has another aspect to it - whether or not you are supporting the Vailians, or are trying to actively hamper them in the Deadfire.

^ Top  
  14. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    I just played it, so I remember what they were saying about themselves :p I didn't remember the thing about island-hopping, though, lol. I thought their ideas for going forward was using the lagufaeth spawnlings (which I set free) and cultivating the seeds of the plant (which nobody seems to want except that one guy and you can't try to reason with them), not island-hopping, but it doesn't really matter. The quest itself is kind of inconsequential in a vacuum in the beta, though. You need outside motivations (like helping or hampering the VTC) for it to make sense as it stands now. I kind of know where this will be situated in the whole game btw, it's either probably in the first act where the only faction you are dealing with is the VTC or in the second act where you are trying to garner favor with them or someone else. I've already mentally charted the story trajectory in my head, I'm interested to see how much it will deviate from what I have in mind or if it won't deviate at all.

Regarding fluff lore - yeah, I never mentioned that I think the whole conundrum is good, it's actually just hot air that is very meh. Backwater villages with "their own identity" and protecting that seems a bit of a naive, badly informed idealism that I'd never choose. Fluff lore abounds, though, and I never expected them to stop using it, so that's why I didn't think to address that.

^ Top  
  15. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    I think they said that you will get access to all of the factions pretty early on.

^ Top  
  16. Trashos Erudite

Trashos
    Parrots:
    They tried to improve on BG fighters by giving them lots of active abilities. Then they realized that having 6 people with active abilities in the party was too much. This is my take on it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Getting access and starting to work with all the factions in the first act is a ballsy move that I don't expect. At most, maybe the first act will be comparatively short and will only feature the factions vestigially. I just don't see where the story can go (knowing what kind of writers they are that is) if the first act is already you dealing with the factions.

^ Top  
  18. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Again, if I'm remembering correctly, I recall them saying that you will get a chance to meet everyone pretty early in the game, and do some quests for each of them before fully committing to someone.

^ Top  
  19. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    That's what I mean. I expect it to be kind of like FO:NV in that aspect. You do get to meet all the factions in the first act before you start working for someone in the second. I place the end of the first act the moment you get the Platinum Chip from Benny. While I can't stand its gameplay, I know what the plot and structure are about :p By "dealing with the factions" I mean committing to one of them.

^ Top  
  20. Trashos Erudite

Trashos
    Parrots:
    I will be swimming in seas of joy if the structure in PoE2 is anywhere near the FNV one.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Yeah, probably. Still, they also said that you will, more or less, get free reign to go about and sail on your own - regardless of factions - so I'm still hoping that it won't turn out exactly like that.

I'm guessing that the first act will likely end when you enter Neketaka.

^ Top  
  22. Anthony Davis Obsidian Entertainment Developer

Anthony Davis
    Parrots:
    KOTOR2 was about 13 ish months from contract signing to store shelves. MAYBE 14.

The biggest help with getting the game done, besides the fact that many who worked on it were at least somewhat familiar with infinity engine games, was that the game engine and toolset Bioware gave us was rock solid and we didn't have to upgrade anything. The only NEW tech we added (I believe) was adding BINK support.

Chris Jones, the lead programmer and CTO, did optimize the hell out of that game, improving performance by like... 30%. Then we turned around and made even larger levels with more characters and props on them, lol *sad trombone*.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:

The problem is that we know that we'll be dealing with the Eothas nonsense in the third act, so I think the structure is too obvious.

Prologue - Eothas crashes your party at Caed Nua and you assemble a ship to go to the Deadfire Archipelago.

Act I - You land somewhere, probably a port town where all the factions have a tenuous foothold on, and start doing odd jobs trying to figure out what to do and how to get to Eothas, I think this is where the beta portion will be (trying to score brownie points with the VTC or someone else, but not fully committing to anything), it ends when you realize you need to go to the Big City. It's either that or you are in a shipwreck stranded on an island before going to the port town.

Act II - Neketaka and its factions, you commit to one of them because you need their resources to find Eothas, I kind of wish your motivation isn't so straightforward, this is the time to diverge a lot and show their creativity about what the factions and their quests are. I don't want the beta portion to be here because it will mean that some of the factions will be sharing content, just you having different objectives.

Act III - the Eothas business that I don't look forward to.

^ Top  
  24. TheSentinel Cipher

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    always gotten the impression that Sawyer wants PoE2 to be to PoE1 what FNV was to FO3, including the whole structure of it. I'm expecting it to be PoE New Vegas anyway.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    I think the beta portion is somewhere further along in the game. I also don't think it will start with a shipwreck - they've built up your ship, the Defiant, too much for it to just crash after the prologue.

And factions will almost certainly have overlap in their quests - it was the same way in F:NV.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)