Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Gameplay Video, Previews and Interviews

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Are you blind? The graphics are great. It doesn't matter if it is unity because it is preredered 3D, and the characters and effects look good from top down.

No. I am just not an Obsidian fanboy like you. The effects are good, yes, the characters are not. Overall, it looks p. bland. I think this is Unity-related. Compare it to Dungeon Siege 3 which used Onyx. That was a beautiful game (quite boring though). I am sure PoE will be a great game, but graphics won't be one of its strongest points.
You probably think that the IE games looked like crap I assume, because the characters were sprite based.

Wizfall

Cipher
Dungoeon Siege 3 doesn't look bad at all but i like PE graphics much more.
Like i like much more IE graphics too.
Obviously a question of taste and no need to say whom has objectively a better one :bounce:
Both game being from Obsidian quite stupid to call someone an Obsidian fanboy for that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
lolwut

The game's graphical appearance has nothing to do with its engine.

P.S. South Park and DS3 both used Onyx, much graphical commonality there.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm pretty invested in this game (literally) so I want it to be good and I'm biased because of that, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something "missing" when I watch the demos between IGN and Giant Bomb ... The writing seems fine, the mechanics don't offend me, the hook is fine, but there's a missing ingredient or something feels out of place. I'm thinking that maybe it's just my inner grafix whore coming out? When I look at that up-scaled low-poly character in the creation menu, or the too fast combat animations (and movement in general) both seem discordant with the painterly world space and those 2e AD&D inspired, sepia tone, storybook plates; it's like two ingredients that alone are perfectly fine, but put together spoils the dish. Oh well, it's a beta, maybe what I'm kvetching about is the lack of polish that comes with a "gone gold" version of the game?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty invested in this game (literally) so I want it to be good and I'm biased because of that, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something "missing" when I watch the demos between IGN and Giant Bomb ... The writing seems fine, the mechanics don't offend me, the hook is fine, but there's a missing ingredient or something feels out of place. I'm thinking that maybe it's just my inner grafix whore coming out? When I look at that up-scaled low-poly character in the creation menu, or the too fast combat animations (and movement in general) both seem discordant with the painterly world space and those 2e AD&D inspired, sepia tone, storybook plates; it's like two ingredients that alone are perfectly fine, but put together spoils the dish. Oh well, it's a beta, maybe what I'm kvetching about is the lack of polish that comes with a "gone gold" version of the game?
I know what you are missiong. The music, because you can bearly hear it during these quick looks. And that adds a huge plus to the game.

extreme fan of a controversial game,
PoE is not a controversial game.

Guys, I'm pretty sure this is easy or normal (aka push over difficulty) they've said that if you want an IE level of challenge you will need to play on Hard (or Path of the Damned).

This will likely add more enemies to all of the encounters seen in the beta. It's looking to me like Path of the Damned is the way to go.
Haven't really been following PoE to know, so tell me if I'm misreading this, but does difficulty increase change the encounters? Like, enemy numbers, types etc?

Also:
What, you can't see difference between BG1 (walk out of the city, engage wolf, get crit for 10 hp, your fighter has 10 hp, rekked lol), and this - get out of caravan, left click 2 wolves (that are more of a size of a horse), kill 2 bandits (including an archer who just shot arrow after arrow into the backside of 1st level char - "glance! 0.5 hp damage"), kill more bandits, kill whole enemy party 3 on 3, kill oozes, more oozes, kill giant spiders...
All with suboptimal party of 2, then 3 characters - hurrah for regenerating hpstamina.
In IE trying to kill a bunch of enemies like that straight on with just 2-3 characters is death sentence, you had to use entangle/sleep/heal/bows/pots/oil of speed... use something.
Here NPC fighter just tanked everything that's all. "yeah you can get knocked down (fighter loses 5% hp), you can get badly beaten (fighter loses 10% hp)". :M
Lol, not my experience, BG1 early game had no threatening enemies to me, pointed at their direction, barbarian swung axe, they literally explode half the time, (default difficulty, which is what I assume this is.) wolves, more wolves, bear, gibberling, lather, rinse, repeat, Found Shrek the ogre, expected a challenge, killed him, pretty much just selected all/attacked through most of what I've played.

But I guess I didn't get crit'd enough, which sounds like unreliable luck based difficulty. Not that this looks better, Obsidian seemed to do as good a job at imitating IE as they did South park. 10/10 would select all/attack again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PoE is not a controversial game.

Our thread didn't reach 1000+ pages for no reason. The anti-PoE movement on the Codex kind of died down after the Wasteland 2 beta was released, but now it's flaring back up, for various reasons.

does difficulty increase change the encounters? Like, enemy numbers, types etc?

Yes.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
It lacks heart; it lacks soul.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
lolwut

So you can take say Lithtech and make a game that will look like Crysis? I am sure that if they had chosen Onyx instead of Unity, PoE would have looked different even with the same art direction. Maybe I am wrong. It is pointless to discuss this now, because Unity was chosen and we have to live with that. I am just saying that every Unity game I've seen so far (Wasteland 2, Dead State) looks like crap.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
It lacks heart; it lacks soul.
Not at all. R00fles.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
lolwut

So you can take say Lithtech and make a game that will look like Crysis? I am sure that if they had chosen Onyx instead of Unity, PoE would have looked different even with the same art direction. Maybe I am wrong. It is pointless to discuss this now, because Unity was chosen and we have to live with that. I am just saying that every Unity game I've seen so far (Wasteland 2, Dead State) looks like crap.

Dead State isn't a Unity game. It uses Torque, the same engine as Age of Decadence.

Released Unity games - Shadowrun Returns, Blackguards, Might & Magic X, Expeditions: Conquistador.

nikolokolus

Arcane
I know what you are missiong. The music, because you can bearly hear it during these quick looks. And that adds a huge plus to the game.

That's probably part of it ... and maybe without those aural cues I'm that much more aware of the visuals being just a little bit out of whack? Oh well, it doesn't matter, I was never excited about this game because of the visuals. As long as Obsidian can nail the C&C, writing and make combat mechanics not suck, I'll be content.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
lolwut

Dead State isn't a Unity game. It uses Torque, the same engine as Age of Decadence.

Released Unity games - Shadowrun Returns, Blackguards, Might & Magic X, Expeditions: Conquistador.
And those 4 have hugely different visuals, thus showing that the engine doesn't decide what will be the visuals like. You can do different kind of styles with an engine.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Fuck it. I was finally able to watch this on 1080p and I think I'm a retard for complaining about the animation/visuals. Looks good, or at least good enough.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So many inane comments. I am buffled.

Best so far was from some faggot, who claimed BG had tacticul positioning because of speed of animationz and shit. And PoE, of course, totally lacks that. That was pretty funny.

Game does look pretty good. I only see valid concerns about difficulty and teleporting adventures. Otherwise people who liked, especially, BG2 will have a blast, i think.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
For those who do not like the color palette, keep in mind that the demo takes place at night.

If Josh was smart, he should have tweaked the demo to be hard to play and die at least once, just for show.
And the discussion about real time with pause would not have been about how lame it is but about how it strains your senses like in a real fight & shit.

Great demo, presentation could/should be better

jdinatale

Cipher
I hope there's some grim-dark edgy shit in this game, I was pissed off by how light hearted D: OS was.

I WANT TO BE A DRAGON!!

I can't even think of a genuine grimdark RPG, whenever they try they ruin it by filling the game with tons of bad comedy in between the few dark scenes.
Actually, SRR and it's DLC are pretty grimdark.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
I hope there's some grim-dark edgy shit in this game, I was pissed off by how light hearted D: OS was.

Sounds like you got all the grimdark you need, homeslice!

:yeah:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom