Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Pillars of Eternity still handles all of the stuff (actual things you can do) that the IWD2 skills did, they're just largely generalized. Would it be better if we had a few more? Sure, why not. But only if they allowed you to do more things, instead of cutting up the stuff that's already covered.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Is there anything that's actually important in this game or everything can be hand waved to being "just auxiliary"? Stats don't matter because they're not important, skills don't matter because they're not important. What exactly matters?

Tactical combat, quests and exploration, the rest is there mostly for roleplaying flavour.

They could change up stats to have more of an impact but I doubt that will happen to any significant degree.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They could change up stats to have more of an impact but I doubt that will happen to any significant degree.
What makes you say this? Stats = attributes right? Because I am under the impression that this is one thing that will change. There was that post Sawyer made about being ready to 'halve and double numbers' for beta tuning, and I think the system went in late and is still under revision. I reckon, by the end of it, there will be more call to play to a character's attribute selection.

I want them to do something to make naked less amazing though, just because it looks ridiculous :lol:. They've said the AI will eventually be making better calls, ranged shooting at your backline nudist if they notice them, melee even rushing through disengagement attacks to maul them, that should be good. But still, maybe a very low DT suit that doesn't effect speed? Or no equipment still giving a decent gear look to a character model IE style?

Just played for a bit after having some time away from it, while playing a BG SCS playthrough. Damn those characters need to be clearer, I lose sight of units way too much. And what is deciding when those HP bars/recovery bars fade? Because I often want to look at one characters, but it is faded while a bunch of others are solid. Mousing over a unit or having it selected should definitely turn their frames solid. And casting should play a loud sound clip + have the flashy effects like IE, it isn't really clear enough when a character is casting vs idle to me. Also looking forward to clearer/louder hits, and hope they differentiate well between graze/hit/crit. Maybe even a different effect for when DT reduces an attack to almost nothing.

Athelas

Arcane
So, for NPCs those skills are pretty much useless.

Class-based game that's intended to play like class-less and party-pased game that's intended to play like a single-character one. The wonders never cease!
Skills aren't what's primarily checked in dialogues - attributes are. The scripted interactions make more use of skills, but every single one I've seen in the beta lets you use the skills of your partymembers. The skills also have combat benefits for each character that takes them.

TL;DR: you're wrong (as usual).

Last edited:
Hard Counter
A strategy that utterly dominates another strategy, leaving no question of the outcome.

Compare to soft counter. In a soft counter, the strategy being countered can still be victorious through skill or luck. There is no chance of this when a hard counter is used.
Hard counters force you to adopt another strategy if you want to win, soft counters allow you to bruteforce it.

Yeah, it seems it could lead to save spamming and degenerate gameplay. If you have a 15% chance to resist some super wizards paralysis spell, you can just save/reload about 8 times to assure a good chance of getting the result you want. Not sure why this is not considered degenerate, maybe josh has not spied on enough tards playing yet to become enraged about it

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hard Counter
A strategy that utterly dominates another strategy, leaving no question of the outcome.

Compare to soft counter. In a soft counter, the strategy being countered can still be victorious through skill or luck. There is no chance of this when a hard counter is used.
Hard counters force you to adopt another strategy if you want to win, soft counters allow you to bruteforce it.

Yeah, it seems it could lead to save spamming and degenerate gameplay. If you have a 15% chance to resist some super wizards paralysis spell, you can just save/reload about 8 times to assure a good chance of getting the result you want. Not sure why this is not considered degenerate, maybe josh has not spied on enough tards playing yet to become enraged about it

It's not degenerate because the paralysis spell paralyzes for a duration measurable in seconds, not minutes. Hence, no reason to save-scum - it's just not that big a deal.

Also, because of the grazing mechanic, 100% missing is a lot harder to achieve with scumming. Most "misses" will also hit you a bit.

Hard Counter

It's not degenerate because the paralysis spell paralyzes for a duration measurable in seconds, not minutes. Hence, no reason to save-scum - it's just not that big a deal.

Also, because of the grazing mechanic, 100% missing is a lot harder to achieve with scumming. Most "misses" will also hit you a bit.

I don't know if I like that answer, even if it is true, sounds sort of like this:

"You can fix that by giving only +0.1% range per point.".....

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I've worked out how to change attribute bonuses and how to change them in the UI. So when the next attribute system comes, I can easily mod mine in.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
What makes you say this? Stats = attributes right? Because I am under the impression that this is one thing that will change. There was that post Sawyer made about being ready to 'halve and double numbers' for beta tuning, and I think the system went in late and is still under revision. I reckon, by the end of it, there will be more call to play to a character's attribute selection.

Josh's design philosophy, double the difference in bonus values in stats/attributes and you may get players who'll at some point of the game feel they failed (atleast partially) at character creation and maybe even restart the game. If they aren't too impactful (which is the case now) you're safe from that, they don't make much of a difference either way, you can't possibly fail at it.

As things stand now (and as I said, I don't believe it will change significantly), CC boils down to choosing a class, the rest is mostly cosmetic/roleplaying flavour. The challenge lies in learning how to best use classes (and their numerous abilities) to prevail in battle, not in CC.

I want them to do something to make naked less amazing though, just because it looks ridiculous :lol:. They've said the AI will eventually be making better calls, ranged shooting at your backline nudist if they notice them, melee even rushing through disengagement attacks to maul them, that should be good. But still, maybe a very low DT suit that doesn't effect speed? Or no equipment still giving a decent gear look to a character model IE style?

The solution I'd like the best, not sure if Obsidian wants to devote resources to it though.

Just played for a bit after having some time away from it, while playing a BG SCS playthrough. Damn those characters need to be clearer, I lose sight of units way too much. And what is deciding when those HP bars/recovery bars fade? Because I often want to look at one characters, but it is faded while a bunch of others are solid. Mousing over a unit or having it selected should definitely turn their frames solid. And casting should play a loud sound clip + have the flashy effects like IE, it isn't really clear enough when a character is casting vs idle to me. Also looking forward to clearer/louder hits, and hope they differentiate well between graze/hit/crit. Maybe even a different effect for when DT reduces an attack to almost nothing.

It's a beta man and RTWP on top of it. RTWP needs much more work and polish to be presentable and is overall easier to screw up than TB.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Josh's design philosophy, double the difference in bonus values in stats/attributes and you may get players who'll at some point of the game feel they failed (atleast partially) at character creation and maybe even restart the game. If they aren't too impactful (which is the case now) you're safe from that, they don't make much of a difference either way, you can't possibly fail at it.
It can still be impossible to make a useless character with bigger differences in attributes. The only thing that might constitute failing is making a character you don't actually enjoy playing, but that's just unavoidable* and I don't think Josh is too worried about this.

*actually if the player got a taste of various classes and attribute changes before doing it themselves it could solve this.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Seems like people from outside the team are playing through it as well.

TRkkpIf.jpg

Wonder why Brian has the week free to do that though.

Edit: (Brian Heins is the Project Director on an unannounced Obsidian game)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Hopefully Brain Heins is better at making games than Sawyer "HOW THE FUCK DID FO:NV BEOMCE A FUN GAME WITH HIM MAKING IT" Sawyer.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't see shit on that pic with the quests listed, but if it is formatted the way I think it is, we have over 80 quests.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I don't think they have a separate "Tasks" board. They're just short quests.

Seaking4

Learned
Hopefully Brain Heins is better at making games than Sawyer "HOW THE FUCK DID FO:NV BEOMCE A FUN GAME WITH HIM MAKING IT" Sawyer.

Shouldn't the first name say Josh? Then the quote would be his middle name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom