Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

msxyz

Augur
A beta patch/update is expected by next Wednesday apparently.
I'm disappointed that it's taking them so long.

About the mechanics, the pistol thing is another example of how convoluted and flawed the mechanics are, as Sawyer designed them. They are not even "balanced". Wizards can use any offensive weapon in addition to spells but a rogue or fighter cannot use a pistol and a sword at the same time!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Warren Spector on Ion Storm said:
You know, it sounds like such a good idea to let the inmates run the insane asylums, and it really isn’t.[...]We all felt like we were talented, creative guys with big ideas, and if the big bad publishers would just get out of the way we can do amazing things. It just doesn’t work out that way. Real creativity happens within constraints, not without constraints.
We all know Spector became a senile old man, of course he is talking shit. With the exception of providing marketing and QA, the publisher is like cancer. The thing Spector is right though, that constraints brings out the creativity. But it is financial restrictions, that might result in a creative atmosphere. Publisher only bring creative restrictions, which result in CoD33232.

Well then, Felipe Pepe Santa Maria Gonzalez y Garcia

Broken Age vs Pillars of Eternity

Which is more disappointing and why?
PoE will be a good game. Some may even call it great. But to me it's the most disappointing of all the KS so far, because it gets soooo close, it teases me so much with that glorious nostalgia... and then suddenly shouts BALANCE! and kicks me in the nuts.
:shunthenonbeliever: Now go and demand a refund on the Obsidian boards, so Josh can call you a jerk.

roshan

Arcane
We all know Spector became a senile old man, of course he is talking shit. With the exception of providing marketing and QA, the publisher is like cancer. The thing Spector is right though, that constraints brings out the creativity. But it is financial restrictions, that might result in a creative atmosphere. Publisher only bring creative restrictions, which result in CoD33232.

:shunthenonbeliever: Now go and demand a refund on the Obsidian boards, so Josh can call you a jerk.

I'm pretty damn sure a publisher would have at least forced them to implement combat XP. Sometimes it's really not a good idea to have egotistic nerds who are so busy with spreadsheets that they have lost touch with reality running the show.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I'm pretty damn sure a publisher would have at least forced them to implement combat XP. Sometimes it's really not a good idea to have egotistic nerds who are so busy with spreadsheets that they have lost touch with reality running the show.
You have a point there, but while they would have made them to implement combat XP, they probably forced them to make the game much more casual. We gain something, while also lose something.

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't think you'll ever see an rpg as big as BG2 again. It doesn't make business sense to make it that big. Although possibly with expansions.

I just played one, its called Divinity original sin, 80 hours first playthrough, 80 hours without any filler content . BG2 dont beat that .You should try it too.

roshan

Arcane

You have a point there, but while they would have made them to implement combat XP, they probably forced them to make the game much more casual. We gain something, while also lose something.

Welll Josh's design is already primarily targeted at casual gamers. No bad builds, auto resurrection, health regeneration, no missing attacks, all stats are dump stats, Disney abilities like "grimoire slam", MMOG classes, bloated and meaningless numbers and percentages, frantic as opposed to tactical combat...... I really don't see how a team of marketing executives could have come up with more casual-friendly mechanics.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I don't think you'll ever see an rpg as big as BG2 again. It doesn't make business sense to make it that big. Although possibly with expansions.

I just played one, its called Divinity original sin, 80 hours first playthrough, 80 hours without any filler content . BG2 dont beat that .You should try it too.
This is unhonest - it isn't the number of hours that counts but the amount of content. How to compare it directly is another question but is really the amount of content comparable in those two games ? My guts says no, not really - i think D:OS just plays slower (slower interface and movement speed perhaps ?) but i can't say for sure, i didn't finish d: os yet.

Mortmal

Arcane

This is unhonest - it isn't the number of hours that counts but the amount of content. How to compare it directly is another question but is really the amount of content comparable in those two games ? My guts says no, not really - i think D:OS just plays slower (slower interface and movement speed perhaps ?) but i can't say for sure, i didn't finish d: os yet.

The content is there , and DOS playing slow ? No not really, you could also argue i am older than when i played BG2 first and my physical shape makes me play slowly too , painfully moving the mouse with my crippled arthritic hand ... I wont compare map to map and combat encounters , but this game had me occupied as long and was more pleasurable than the Top 10 all time rpg classics. Its evidence enough its still possible to make huge epic rpg in this day and time ,better than ever , and be top seller on steam to boot.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
yes.
FUN FACT: It is impossible to be better than the best game ever.
nwn1 would be improved with a better campaign or somewhat better graphics, therefore it cannot be the best game ever as the improved version would be better than itself.
hm, poe has potential, despite the shitty backer demo, but wl2 makes me fear for torment.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Welll Josh's design is already primarily targeted at casual gamers. No bad builds, auto resurrection, health regeneration, no missing attacks, all stats are dump stats, Disney abilities like "grimoire slam", MMOG classes, bloated and meaningless numbers and percentages, frantic as opposed to tactical combat...... I really don't see how a team of marketing executives could have come up with more casual-friendly mechanics.
Stop, please stop! I almost start to cry just by reading it. Dammit Josh! :argh:

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Game has permanent death(one should check diff sliders...), no HP regen (stamina regen is ent.different thing...), missing attacks (just not like low level D&D style where you trade unsuccesful blows for a minute).
And combat is only frantic because we start as a 5 lvl nearly full party at firsty. It's not that hard to get used to it. It'll pretty different when we start with only 1-2 characters who are only level 1.
Also any real casuals throw the game (and themselves I hope) from the window after first few battles.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
First meeting of the PoE team with a publisher:

Why you want to waste time and resources creating and balancing an entire new and untested ruleset no one knows about, if IE games used AD&D/D&D and we can use the d20 system for free? I think it's pretty clear that we can save resources, appeal to existing D&D fans and please IE fans better this way.

And there would be much rejoicing.

made

Arcane
there is something about RPG's that brings out the worst in people

Another glorious Codex tagline. Minus the retarded spelling mistake ofc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom