Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Pillars of Eternity Beta Preview at Rock Paper Shotgun

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, RPS is a "niche" site compared to IGN, Gamespot and Kotaku. But they like these games too.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
At this rate, December is wishful thinking. I really think PE needs a longer beta period much like Larian and inXile did with their games. Otherwise it just won't be as good as it should be.
D:OS's beta period was only actually three months (and it was never and still isn't content complete). inXile's will end up being 4 months since feature/content completeness. Obsidian also has up to four months.

Obsidian is feature locked, not feature complete. You haven't played the beta, I have. I don't think four months is enough to make it a polished game.

I am working (hard) to help out though.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Scoreless reviews, relentless story- and atmofag perspective, obsessive focus on social issues, indies and kickstarter make up about 30% of featured games, PoE beta expose with 82 comments (second most popular front page article)

Featured content from askmen.com, 11 reposted press releases on the front page, translations of almost every article in about 20 different languages, articles like "Lori from The Walking Dead reveals all" and "Top wrestlers' favourite games", 5469 comments on the article "COD: Advanced Warfare Not Coming to Wii U" (top news in the PC section)

Which is RPS, which is IGN?

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
M*ther fucking loading times. What a nice contrast. In PoE beta entering even the smallest building with 1 npc takes a few seconds while IN DREADFUL DOS whole fucking maps like Cyseal + many of its surrounding areas don't require any loading.
Bravo, bethesda.
And don't even get me started on pathfinding. Characters dance in combat like they're having seizures so you have to baby sit them like little retards they are.
IN DOS, ROGUEY, I CAN SEND MY D00DES TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HUGE FUCKING MAP AND EVEN IF THE MAP IS RIDDLED WITH TRAPS AND SHIT, THEY'LL GET THERE UNSCRATCHED AS LONG AS THEY CAN DETECT THE TRAPS AND PATH ISN'T BLOCKED

FUCK YOU

OBVIOUSLY PUBLISHERS ARE RESPONSIBLE

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Obsidian is feature locked, not feature complete. You haven't played the beta, I have. I don't think four months is enough to make it a polished game.
I don't need to play it to see what it looks like. Additionally, you're not employed at Obsidian. Hell, developers like inXile and Larian are unable to figure out their own schedules, so an outsider with no insider knowledge claiming definitive knowledge is super-absurd.

Late-October/November is when to make the call on whether or not it can be released this year. :M

Delterius

Arcane
I don't need to play it to see what it looks like. Additionally, you're not employed at Obsidian. Hell, developers like inXile and Larian are unable to figure out their own schedules, so an outsider with no insider knowledge claiming definitive knowledge is super-absurd.
So... Roguey is employed by Obsidian. Or maybe just not self aware.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Roguey, is the fact that you don't have / haven't played the beta the only reason you haven't dipped your dainty little toes into the actual beta thread in GRPG yet? You know, the one in which we're all discussing what we can derive from actually getting our own hands on the game instead of speculating based on what we've heard and read about it?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey, is the fact that you don't have / haven't played the beta the only reason you haven't dipped your dainty little toes into the actual beta thread in GRPG yet? You know, the one in which we're all discussing what we can derive from actually getting our own hands on the game instead of speculating based on what we've heard and read about it?
I am not interested in reading discussions about the beta.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What an odd thing to say considering my first post in this thread.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Additionally, you're not employed at Obsidian.

Do you think I think I am?

It's one thing to have a look at a stream or whatever, actually playing it allows me to give a better appraisal of the state of the game than someone who has not. While making December isn't impossible I don't think, I also think it will be very difficult.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's one thing to have a look at a stream or whatever, actually playing it allows me to give a better appraisal of the state of the game than someone who has not.
I disagree. Its issues are laid bare.

While making December isn't impossible I don't think, I also think it will be very difficult.
I'm expecting a hard crunch, as in 6-8 months of work done in 4. Thanks a lot, Feargus.

Hegel

Arcane
It won't, not only the game needs a massive rehaul in terms of design (combat, ruleset etc.), but it's literally infested with bugs. The AI, the pathfinding, the combat, char models and animations are horrible, the UI and portraits are atrocious, the save system doesn't work so well, disappearing quests/items/characters all over the place (and they released a small part of the game, go scale that out to the size of the whole thing), too many atmosphere breaking loading times, skills/feats/spells are not yet implemented. It will take more than 4 months to fix this mess, unless they decide to rush the release. It's a good game DESPITE its flaws (mostly in the game design department which will require a lot of time to be fixed).
If the beta is a clear indicator of the final product, then the design team fucked up bigtime.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Scoreless reviews, relentless story- and atmofag perspective, obsessive focus on social issues, indies and kickstarter make up about 30% of featured games, PoE beta expose with 82 comments (second most popular front page article)

Featured content from askmen.com, 11 reposted press releases on the front page, translations of almost every article in about 20 different languages, articles like "Lori from The Walking Dead reveals all" and "Top wrestlers' favourite games", 5469 comments on the article "COD: Advanced Warfare Not Coming to Wii U" (top news in the PC section)

Which is RPS, which is IGN?
two different flavors of decline.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is Hegel trying to go for the TRY HARD of 2014 award?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom