Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Pillars of Eternity available for pre-order, gets new trailer

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I think its real odd they would use a term so well known in computer science, if they weren't thinking along those lines.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think its real odd they would use a term so well known in computer science, if they weren't thinking along those lines.

They're "thinking along those lines" because they're a bunch of nerds and that's how they conceptualize the idea of multiple concurrent questlines. That doesn't mean they're actually implemented via threads. That doesn't even make any sense! What would the threads do?

EDIT: Reminds me of this classic TDWTF post: http://thedailywtf.com/articles/Sprite_Threading

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I have have ideas of my own, but you should ask them. Would be interesting to know if its marketing BS, or there's more to it.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You have never heard the term story threads? It's pretty common, and I think it's metaphor of actual fabric threads.

bonescraper

Because Sawyer can't make good real-time combat and is too afraid to make it turn-based.
This was pitched as a real-time-with-pause game, not real-time nor turn-based.
It was pitched as IE spiritual successor, but ended up being a bland MOBA/CYOA hybrid.

If you can't make your real real-time combat good enough, and have to constantly rely on pause or time slow-downs, you know you fucked up. There's absolutely no advantage in real-time if you have to slow down every time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It was pitched as IE spiritual successor, but ended up being a bland MOBA/CYOA hybrid.
It's not a MOBA, no.

If you can't make your real real-time combat good enough, and have to constantly rely on pause or time slow-downs, you know you fucked up.
One can say the same thing about the Infinity Engine games, which this thing is trying to be like (to some extent). If you hated them, why would you bother with this one?

There's absolutely no advantage in real-time if you have to slow down every time.
Simultaneous conflict resolution. RTwP battles from the IE games wouldn't necessarily be fun as turn-based and it'd be pretty wretched if you couldn't pause at all or if you couldn't issue orders while paused.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A recent post of mine from the Obsidian forums holds some relevance here (paraphrased):

Infinitron said:
Regarding the feel of combat, I think familiarity and skill play a factor, especially when dealing with fast enemies who swarm you. The less confident you are about your ability to handle events, the more you pause. The more you pause, the more awkward and "not fun" combat feels.

The Infinity Engine games didn't have many fast enemies, but they did have some. For example, the werewolves in the Baldur's Gate 1 expansion were fast, especially compared to the slow walking speed of characters in the vanilla BG1. Here's an LP of the Werewolf Island, done by a "pause-a-holic" LPer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh7TQrONOS0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3S-7-K2mo

Looks pretty awkward, doesn't it? One of the reasons I'm a bit skeptical of accusations that Pillars of Eternity has incredibly chaotic combat is that the way the accusing people are playing it just isn't all that different from the way novice players play the Infinity Engine games. And if you were thrown into Werewolf Island with an unfamiliar party of mid-level characters and no knowledge of AD&D, you'd probably play like that too.

Last edited:

bonescraper

It's not a MOBA, no.
Sure. It just copies its "balanced" systems.

If you can't make your real real-time combat good enough, and have to constantly rely on pause or time slow-downs, you know you fucked up.
One can say the same thing about the Infinity Engine games, which this thing is trying to be like (to some extent). If you hated them, why would you bother with this one?
I bet you still haven't played this game yet.

I played the beta when it was first released. The combat sucked hard, and from what i've read so far, it still does. So sorry, you can't compare PoE to IE games in this regard, they're in completely different leagues. Having said that, i enjoyed IE combat, but i still wouldn't call it great.

There's absolutely no advantage in real-time if you have to slow down every time.
Simultaneous conflict resolution. RTwP battles from the IE games wouldn't necessarily be fun as turn-based and it'd be pretty wretched if you couldn't pause at all or if you couldn't issue orders while paused.
RTS/MOBA games play pretty much alike, yet i can't reacall any of them having a pause option.

Shit design is shit.

bonescraper

RTS/MOBA games play pretty much alike, yet i can't reacall any of them having a pause option.

Shit design is shit.
Play more RTS games.
I'm talking about the more modern ones. DoW2 for example. It has a lot of unit micromanagement, and smaller scale. Also, recent Total War games, plenty of micromanagement and positioning.

Tigranes

Arcane
Played beta on day 1, bugs made everything annoying including combat which clearly wasn't finished, I'll play on release and form my own opinions. Trailer is just OK, I do like the sheer variety of backgrounds, it's like all the IE games rolled into one (including a TNO homage in one of the text adventure images?).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
A recent post of mine from the Obsidian forums holds some relevance here (paraphrased):

Infinitron said:
Regarding the feel of combat, I think familiarity and skill play a factor, especially when dealing with fast enemies who swarm you. The less confident you are about your ability to handle events, the more you pause. The more you pause, the more awkward and "not fun" combat feels.

The Infinity Engine games didn't have many fast enemies, but they did have some. For example, the werewolves in the Baldur's Gate 1 expansion were fast, especially compared to the slow walking speed of characters in the vanilla BG1. Here's an LP of the Werewolf Island, done by a "pause-a-holic" LPer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh7TQrONOS0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3S-7-K2mo

Looks pretty awkward, doesn't it? One of the reasons I'm a bit skeptical of accusations that Pillars of Eternity has incredibly chaotic combat is that the way the accusing people are playing it just isn't all that different from the way novice players play the Infinity Engine games. And if you were thrown into Werewolf Island with an unfamiliar party of mid-level characters and no knowledge of AD&D, you'd probably play like that too.
Infinitron labeled Sensuki a noob. :P (Cause he is pausing the hell out of the game.)

The music... generic is the word. Will make me sad if they don't come up with something original for a change.
That music was made specifically for the trailer (kickstarter pitch). I think the ingame music is somewhat better. Sensuki ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Nah, Sensuki has gotten good enough that he doesn't pause so much.

He still doesn't like the combat much but that's because he has exacting standards (while most of the people who are complaining don't). I never said it was perfect.

4too

Arcane
POSER-S OF ETERNITY

All feats of misdirection aside …

P O’ E seems to wear so / too many hats in the quest to cap the multi-headed …

Or.

Obsidian Corporation has been marketing the classic “empty glass” that each demographic can fill with ‘brown bagged’ assumptions.

Great Expectations the ’spirit of the moment’,

Sawyer’s Balanced Design(tm) shaken not stirred, the mixer for the mass mark-s’ Wormy Tequila, Strawberry Vodka, and or Flaming Blue EverClear.

Morning after, will tell the tale / tail on how each consumer handled their high.

Morning after, will ‘the hair of the dog’ (more of the same) negotiate denials’ hang over.

Or.

Will there be a computer game to play and not a regurgitation of marketing metaphors (question mark optional).

4too

Shannow

Waster of Time

Shit design is shit.
Play more RTS games.
I'm talking about the more modern ones. DoW2 for example. It has a lot of unit micromanagement, and smaller scale. Also, recent Total War games, plenty of micromanagement and positioning.
And can be played as RTwP... I pause as much in TW games as in IE games... Not sure what points the two of you are trying to make.

From what I understood, PE wanted to minimize filler combat and focus on the memorable battles from BG2 and other IE games. The logical consequence was pause-athon gameplay. That's what you get if you want mainly tactically challenging encounters in a RTwP game... It always has been one of the main arguments for TB. Either TB for a truly challenging and tactical experience or a mix of filler combat and challenging encounters. Which is what I'd expect PE to go for. Though atm it seems like the mix isn't optimal and combat has a few other issues...?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
"Pausable Real Time Combat" advertised as a feature in a trailer. :lol:

Well, at least you can say they're honest about it.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
From what I understood, PE wanted to minimize filler combat and focus on the memorable battles from BG2 and other IE games. The logical consequence was pause-athon gameplay. That's what you get if you want mainly tactically challenging encounters in a RTwP game... It always has been one of the main arguments for TB. Either TB for a truly challenging and tactical experience or a mix of filler combat and challenging encounters. Which is what I'd expect PE to go for. Though atm it seems like the mix isn't optimal and combat has a few other issues...?

Except that the game is not tactically challenging. At the moment anyway. Combat basically boils down to piling on DPS as fast as possible and healing your tank. There is almost no tactical decision making to be made after the combat opening because in combat movement is either restricted or punished, which is a load of horse shit and removes half of the tactical decision making that the IE games had. Combat then boils down to queueing up your per encounter abilities until you're out of them and then auto attacking away at the end. It's pretty terrible at the moment. Not to mention that combat is pretty much always over within about 12 seconds.

Viata

Arcane
Not to mention that combat is pretty much always over within about 12 seconds.
This. Going by the beta, the only way you can make battles last longer is spamming pause button to get the slow motion feeling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom