Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Storm of Eothas

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Infinitron, May 8, 2018.

1. Jenkem Arbiter Patron

Jenkem
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    what's better the galleon or the junk?

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. IHaveHugeNick Obsidian Entertainment Developer

IHaveHugeNick
    Parrots:
    Xoti basically became a serial killer in my ending slides. Fuck if I know how it happened though.

• Funny x 3
    • incline x 3
    • Interesting x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Lexx Augur

Lexx
    Parrots:
    Maybe you didn't gave her your huge nick.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • nice nice x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    Xoti's choices can be KOTOR levels of cheese. And you didn't notice what was going on? Maybe all your brain is concentrated down "there." Or maybe it's just fucking bugged.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    ^ Top  
  5. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Dumbucks, with or without the tag, I implore you to:

Show Spoiler
    spoiler your shit

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Parrots:
    If you want just pewpew - junk.

^ Top  
  7. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    Not putting your entire life on hold to thoroughly play a videogame for teenagers. What is your problem?

^ Top  
  8. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nah, in its current state, it's like eating an undercooked chicken.

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Parrots:
    Wait, wut. So berath blessing that supposed to double your starting class skills for 3 cheevos just straight add 2 points to all your AND your party members class skills? So each character can have up to 20 free skill points. Up to 100 if you have 5 multiclassed characters. For 3 points.

You know what else worth 3 achievment points in the list? 5.000 gold. +2 to all stats only to your main character worth 15 points.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  10. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    I'm ready to fight, and you give me this? At least call me an underbaked chicken.

^ Top  
  11. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How do you get Dark Xoti? She sounds like fun.

^ Top  
  12. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    Show Spoiler
    Just hit the buttons that encourage her sick fascination with reaping souls. The girl is a complete degenerate.

• incline incline x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    Yo, serious question: were Dwarves a race in PoE1? I just noticed that this race exists for the first time in PoE2 and did a quadruple-take.

• Funny x 6
    • Yes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Swampy_Merkin Educated

Swampy_Merkin
    Parrots:
    This is as good a thread as any to post this question in...it's actually probably not. But i'm going to anyway. I've always hated RTwP games....I've tried to play BG1 & 2....as well as Pillars 1. In none of those games have I made it past the first few fights.

Having to pause 2 or 3 times per combat second is inherently irritating and boring to me. The only RTwP games I've finished are PS:T (because of the brilliant storytelling) and the KOTORs because....I don't know....they were just good enough.

Is there another game you would consider the kind of crack cocaine that might get me hooked on this kind of gameplay. I'm talking about a classic RTwP (or RTwP-style) game that would get me hooked on the genre?

^ Top  
  15. Iskramor Educated Possibly Retarded

Iskramor
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    RTwP is annoying. To play it well, you have to cockblock the combat. That is, you interrupt the flow with the pause button. Every pause you must plan on making your guys move or do an action, see the effects, and then you have to pause, analyze what the enemy is doing, pause, reflect, counter, pause, and then see what the enemy is doing, and then pause. The majority of real time is actually spent paused, figuring out what you should do. This is crazy annoying. The saving grace is you are personally commanding this complicated clusterfuck. Your actions dictate whether the party lives or dies. I can sometimes love it. Other times, it's just a drag. Of course, playing Darkest Dungeon or Age of Decadence can convince you that turn-based has its own problems. Animations take forever!

If you can't feel the glory in personally micro-managing six different adventurers acting concurrently in Baldur's Gate 2, fuck it. Play on easy. Pillars 2 has a lot of fun outside the combat.

^ Top  
  17. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    If you never liked RTWP, Deadfire won't change your mind. Good RTWP game - I don't know. I've always liked IWD.

^ Top  
  18. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    One really good RTWP game (not RPG) I remember, with somewhat complex combat (positioning, terrain and unit experience meant everything) was Myth: TFL, and Myth II: Soulblighter. There are enough videos on youtube of both.

And guess what - combat there was orders of magnitude slower when on default speed, compared to the IE games or PoE. On the upside - you didn't need to pause more than 1-2 times per combat encounter. But I guess that would be laughed out by modern retard players for not being "visceral" enough.

^ Top  
  19. Reinhardt Arcane

Reinhardt
    Parrots:
    Fake news. In Deadfire right now you don't need to pause so it's perfect game to start.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. HoboForEternity Arcane

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    You guys arent kidding about how easy it is.

On veteran, met a boss in old city ruin that have 3 red skulls over its head, and i killed it w/o anyone even dying.
    Should have potd'ed since the begjnning

^ Top  
  21. Swampy_Merkin Educated

Swampy_Merkin
    Parrots:
    Honestly i would love it if I could program my toons to react intelligently to whatever combat situation i get into (even retroactively by reloading). If I can do that with Pillars 2 on PotD even after difficulty upgrade I think I might enjoy it.

I like the idea of scripting character actions/reactions a la ff xii.

^ Top  
  22. Pizzashoes Educated

Pizzashoes
    Parrots:
    Right on, man. If you get the desire for some more Baldur's Gate, play with Sword Coast Strategems. The guy who made it is a skilled programmer, he understood everything about the combat, he knew the ins and outs of what made the entire game work, and he knew the modding scene.

Dwarves are in PoE1. I understand why you might have missed them. They are very short. A forgettable companion, Sagani, is a dwarf.

The current iteration of PotD Pillars 1 is very restrictive in terms of viable routes for builds and paths to safely obtain experience, but I literally played Trial of Iron PotD on PoE2 blind and safely cleared all the encounters. Wait a bit if you're looking for a challenge. (I also took a risk/reward approach, so I didn't slay any dragons.)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    Parrots:
    Every time I've wanted to play BG I've wanted the original experience. Never became that much of a fan to put in the time to make a special modded playthrough.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Parabalus Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    You might want to try playing some RTS games. Spellforce is a middle ground between RTwP and RTS, Warcraft 3 with the abilities on units plays similarly, Starcraft1&2 as well.

From the RPG side Dragon Age:Origins is verysimilar to Deadfire's system, with the AI and all. If you play it though go to the nexus to install a few needed mods.

What do mages do in vanilla? Stuff like Yuan-ti mages, or the one Raeric G. you kill for Mae'Var, do they start with any spell protections? Stoneskin? What about the cowled enforcers who teleport in if you cast magic, do you they come in with full buffs like SCS or naked?

^ Top  
  25. Kit Walker Totally Not Captain Shrek

Kit Walker
    Parrots:

Play river of time. It has a bit low tier storytelling, but nothing terrible. The RTwP is quite okay. Also, Dragon Age Origins, another biowarian romance simulator but still it is quite okay. Darklands, because of the setting and handling the world. The combat is shit though.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)