Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

HansDampf

Arcane
Now you also have to option to manually take control of the cross-hair and fine-tune your aim (or shoot at cover if you want). This shouldn't be confused with the Sniper ability which snaps to body parts and gives a massive aim bonus.
If bullets are simulated and the game just checks if a bullet collides with the enemy's hitbox, wouldn't idle animations affect your hit chance?

Mustawd

Julian's main concern with multiple shots is that standing still and doubling or even tripling your firepower every turn means that standing still becomes very powerful. We don't want to design a game where the optimal way to play is to just camp in the corner of the map (and I have to agree with him - it's a good point).

Seems there could be an opportunity with the willpower system to make multiple shots a useable strategy, but an expensive one willpower-wise. At least expensive enough to not make it a viable strategy to camp, but one in which it’s a cost/benefit decision to the player.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Diablo 2 was a carbon copy of Diablo
Diablo 1 is still the best of its genre. And sadly, as far as I know, no Diablo-clone do that 1 big fucking dungeon and 1 single city. :negative:

Diablo 1 is superior to Diablo 2 in game atmosphere only.
But becausue nearly nobody gives a fuck for atmosphere in games, that's why I've permitted myself to add it to the list because the consensus is clear in that regard.

Mustawd

Julian's main concern with multiple shots is that standing still and doubling or even tripling your firepower every turn means that standing still becomes very powerful. We don't want to design a game where the optimal way to play is to just camp in the corner of the map (and I have to agree with him - it's a good point).

Seems there could be an opportunity with the willpower system to make multiple shots a useable strategy, but an expensive one willpower-wise. At least expensive enough to not make it a viable strategy to camp, but one in which it’s a cost/benefit decision to the player.

On second thought, it then becomes an optimal strategy for the enemy to turtle and shoot multiple shots like crazy.

EDIT: Actually, do we even know if the willpower system appliies to the enemy?

UnstableVoltage

Snapshot Games
Developer

This was the original plan (and if multiple shots don't make it in, is still the plan). Firing or performing certain actions would only be allowed once per turn, but you could spend willpoints to chain additional actions when needed.

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
How is shooting multiple times being the best strategy in some situations ever an issue? The AI being so unbelievably bad that "camping in one corner of the map" is always the best strategy would be the issue.

I still fail see how this ends up as anything more than a FiraXCOM made by slightly less retarded developers, but I refrain from becoming positive about any game these days as it just leads to disappointment so maybe I'm missing something.

The Fish

Arcane

Isn't that why you have enemies with front facing shields, to force the player to move and flank?

It's obviously the big concern with having the more simulationist action point system but I would think there are enough ways to punish static players. You could have fire effects on tiles that do damage over time or enemy flanking enemy movement.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This was the original plan (and if multiple shots don't make it in, is still the plan). Firing or performing certain actions would only be allowed once per turn, but you could spend willpoints to chain additional actions when needed.

Regarding multiple shots I think "ammunition preservation" and "inventory optimization" are important factors to be considered: in a post-apocalyptic world resources and manufactoring must be scarce so "camping in a corner", with its corollary of inaccurate/missed shots and wasted ammo, wouldn't probably be (at least early/mid game) a viable and sound strategy. And plausible inventory management also advise against be armed to the teeth, taking up too much space and weight.

luinthoron

Learned
I guess this is where the enemy will bring in artillery and snipers. You sit in one spot, you die there without ever knowing what hit you.

Israfael

Arcane
Why should it be even an issue ? Why force player to act in a certain way? It's like nu-Diablo or WoW PVP and raiding all over again - developers are pigeonholing people into a singular strategy and saying 'you should play this way or else', promptly banning or screwing with any sort of creativity beyond that (like CM mage in early vanilla D3 or WW barbarian). Just add grenades or psychic powers and let the system rule it out by itself. Camping is boring in any case, and people would simply get tired of it, eventually, especially if penalty of moving to suboptimal strategy is not very high (that's the reason for overwatch spam in nu-xcom)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Why should it be even an issue ? Why force player to act in a certain way? It's like nu-Diablo or WoW PVP and raiding all over again - developers are pigeonholing people into a singular strategy and saying 'you should play this way or else', promptly banning or screwing with any sort of creativity beyond that (like CM mage in early vanilla D3 or WW barbarian). Just add grenades or psychic powers and let the system rule it out by itself. Camping is boring in any case, and people would simply get tired of it, eventually, especially if penalty of moving to suboptimal strategy is not very high (that's the reason for overwatch spam in nu-xcom)
Haha, you have not seen people play Long War 1 on higher difficulties :)

HansDampf

Arcane
Players tend to find and use the best strategy no matter how boring or retarded it is. Like waiting for the right idle animation frame to maximize hit chance. :M

Israfael

Arcane
Haha, you have not seen people play Long War 1 on higher difficulties :)
Players tend to find and use the best strategy no matter how boring or retarded it is. Like waiting for the right idle animation frame to maximize hit chance.

You missed critically important part of that sentence - "if penalty of moving to suboptimal strategy is not very high (that's the reason for overwatch spam in nu-xcom)". Any deviation from optimal strategy is a death sentence in nuxcom, you'd loose support and eventually loose if you have any significant losses of manpower (which will happen if you start to employ risky strategies)

ArchAngel

Arcane
At least enemies usually didn't get one shot in nuXcom unlike X-com. So moving in X-com would also be a risky strategy if aliens didn't have tools to frack up your group up and wait tactics (in addition to alien grenades and psi weapons they usually had better reaction fire than your troops and could show up and shoot your guys before they got to shoot back).

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
If camping in a corner of the map is a valid tactic, it's the AI that needs work - not the game systems.
Basic "flushing out" tactics have been implemented in a lot of games over the years.
Grenades, sniping, flanking... There are lots of ways to make someone move from cover

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Julian Gollop's upcoming talk at Reboot conference sounds very interesting: http://www.rebootdevelop.hr/RebootDevelop2018_Schedule_prefinal.pdf

Saturday, 21th of April - 11:30-12:30
Time Units vs 2 Action Points - the Raging Controversy (Design)

Jullian Gollop, Snapshot Games

Hope this one will be recorded!

Also panel with Sawyer and others:

Friday, 20th of April - 17:30-18:30
PANEL: Evolving the Genre

Panelists: Jullian Gollop, Patrice Desilets, Charles Cecil, Josh Sawyer, Moderator: Dan Pearson

Last edited:

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Saturday, 21th of April - 11:30-12:30
Time Units vs 2 Action Points - the Raging Controversy (Design)

Jullian Gollop, Snapshot Games

Gdvb979.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom