Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer (lol) top 100 greatest games of all times (ever)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
In other news, it's that time of the year again: http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games/

Top 10:

10 Fallout: New Vegas
9 Portal
8 Deus Ex
7 GTA V
6 Dishonored
5 Skyrim
4 Team Fortress 2
3 Bioshock
2 Mass Effect 2
1 Half-Life 2

At least FNV is higher than F3 :M Also weird to see Dishonored in Top 10 in a mainstream list like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arch-Vile

Learned
Let's have a look at that PC Gamer gibberish...

71 Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

In this age of internet walkthroughs, you can play Monkey Island 2 without repeatedly getting stuck and just enjoy the world, characters and humour. And who could forget insult swordfighting, one of the best minigames/combat systems ever to grace an adventure game. I am rubber, you are glue!

Yeah, who could forget insult swordfighting? It was one of the best moments in the game, along with Stan's Vessel shop and that aboriginal village. Oops, those are from Monkey Island 1.

:retarded: FFS, they don't even know what the fuck they are talking about. A deeply retarded list, if I ever saw one.

stray

Learned
According to PC Gamer Papers, Please is better than Dark Souls?
:abyssgazer:

I haven't played either (played Demon Souls though), but I still want to judge that.

PC Gamer was my exclusive resource for games at one time (early 90s.. when they shipped CDs full of shareware).

stray

Learned
I'm willing to at least try it sometime. It sounds like it has game concepts, and isn't a walking simulator.

If there are gonna be titles that hipster/indie types champion, then that's the very least I ask from them. Be a game.

According to PC Gamer Papers, Please is better than Dark Souls?

Papers Please is a good game/paperwork simulator.

The thing with these lists is that the actual ranking is irrelevant, just treat them as an unordered list of games that the list maker thinks are good. Arguing over whether one thing deserves to be over another is pretty meaningless when half the games on that list shouldn't be there.

Half-Life 2 is truly the most overrated game since Half-Life.

Honestly HL1 is practically underrated. It's basically known now as nothing more than what spawned HL2 (greatest game of all time, dontcha know).

Last edited:

darthaegis

Cipher

The thing with these lists is that the actual ranking is irrelevant, just treat them as an unordered list of games that the list maker thinks are good. Arguing over whether one thing deserves to be over another is pretty meaningless when half the games on that list shouldn't be there.
agreed, though whether it should feature on a best 100 games ever list is probably up to debate.

stray

Learned

Honestly HL1 is practically underrated. It's basically known now as nothing more than what spawned HL2 (greatest game of all time, dontcha know).

Tbh, I don't remember much unique about HL1 except the intro and how it set up scenes. It was kind of different for it's time, but just a shooter.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, who could forget insult swordfighting? It was one of the best moments in the game, along with Stan's Vessel shop and that aboriginal village. Oops, those are from Monkey Island 1.
Usual gaming journalism... look at the 1001 Video Games You Should Play Before You Die book:

CSHjajJ.jpg

"I'm looking for my GECK, a middle-aged water chip, have you seen it?"

"I'm looking for my GECK, a middle-aged water chip, have you seen it?"

You forgot to add in new vegas, it should be:

"Howdy Partner, I'm looking for my GECK, a middle-aged water chip, have you seen it?"

agreed, though whether it should feature on a best 100 games ever list is probably up to debate.

Yeah but there's like 10,000 games that should be on the best 100 games ever list before gone home, and its there.

Tbh, I don't remember much unique about HL1 except the intro and how it set up scenes. It was kind of different for it's time, but just a shooter.
It's a really good shooter even without taking into account the things that it was the first to do.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
100 Tribes II

99 Spider and Web

98 Sam & Max: Hit The Road

97 Mirror’s Edge

96 The Stanley Parable

95 Left 4 Dead 2

94 Gone Home

93 Alpha Centauri

92 Hotline Miami

91 FreeSpace 2

90 Plants vs. Zombies

89 Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

88 Terraria

87 Sensible Soccer

86 Far Cry 4

85 Euro Truck Simulator 2

84 Battlefield 3

83 Psychonauts

82 Don't Starve

81 Saints Row IV

80 Cave Story+

79 Diablo III

78 Far Cry 2

77 The Sims 3

76 Anachronox

75 No One Lives Forever 2

74 Heroes of Might and Magic III

73 Doom II

72 Elite: Dangerous

71 Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

70 Grim Fandango

69 Max Payne

68 Return to Castle Wolfenstein

67 Unreal Tournament 2004

66 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

65 Total War: Shogun 2

64 PlanetSide 2

63 Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines

62 Bastion

61 Thief Gold

60 Morrowind

59 Ultima Underworld

58 Braid

57 Dark Souls

56 Papers, Please

55 Quake III

54 Hitman: Blood Money

53 Resident Evil 4 HD

52 DayZ

51 TowerFall: Ascension

50 Batman: Arkham Asylum

49 Mass Effect

48 Pillars of Eternity

47 Guild Wars 2

46 Day of the Tentacle

45 Arma 3

44 Fallout

43 Half-Life

42 System Shock 2

41 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

40 Cities: Skylines

39 Fallout 3

38 BioShock Infinite

37 Sid Meier’s Civilization V

36 EVE Online

35 League of Legends

34 The Walking Dead: Season 1

33 STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

32 Deus Ex: Human Revolution

31 World of Warcraft

30 Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn

29 StarCraft II

28 Divinity: Original Sin

27 FTL: Faster Than Light

26 Dragon Age: Origins

25 Hearthstone

24 Spelunky

23 Doom

22 Arma 2

21 Minecraft

20 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

19 Alien: Isolation

18 Dota 2

17 Kerbal Space Program

16 Planescape: Torment

15 XCOM: Enemy Unknown

14 Portal 2

13 Crusader Kings II

12 Mass Effect 3

11 Thief II

10 Fallout: New Vegas

9 Portal

8 Deus Ex

7 Grand Theft Auto V

6 Dishonored

5 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

4 Team Fortress 2

3 Bioshock

2 Mass Effect 2

1 Half-Life 2

http://www.pcgamer.com/best-pc-games/

stray

Learned
lol.. dishonored is considered that good? I couldn't even get far with it/have it on hiatus.

I don't know what else to say that isn't already obvious.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's amazing how two-thirds of the greatest games of all time came out in the last ten years.

VladimirK

Learned
>Half-Life 2 is 40 places ahead of Half-Life
>New Vegas 6 places ahead of PS:T
Of course.

But hey, at least PS:T beat Kerbal Space Program!

darthaegis

Cipher
>Half-Life 2 is 40 places ahead of Half-Life
>New Vegas 6 places ahead of PS:T
Of course.

But hey, at least PS:T beat Kerbal Space Program!
Don't forget Mass Effect 3 ahead of BG2, Torment, Fallout and Bloodlines!

Nuclear Explosion

lol.. dishonored is considered that good? I couldn't even get far with it/have it on hiatus.
Dishonored is great. You should give it another try. I didn't like it at first either.

fastjack

Augur
I remember when pcgamer's best games lists consistently had x-com and civilization/alpha centauri at least in the top 3 if not the top spot. It makes me a little sad to see that x-com isn't even on there and Civ 5 is the only civ game (with AC far down the list) as apparently newer games, no matter how poor or different from their predecessors completely replace them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom