Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I haven't seen the detailed option screen yet, but the presets say a character either (Core Rules) dies when suffering a deadly injury or (Adapted Rules) it's like in Darkest Dungeon, with a Death's Door status which means, they need to be hit with a second deadly injury to die.

R@tmaster

Educated
God, those companions in the video: 19 wisdom, 18 strength, 19 const. Barbarian girl tore apart those thieves like a bunch of rats. I hope there will be some kind of full party creation.

R@tmaster

Educated
Is this a Pathfinder rule? I thought that the whole point distribution system was designed as protection from idiots that liked to rethrow dices until they get 1818181818

PrettyDeadman

Is this a Pathfinder rule? I thought that the whole point distribution system was designed as protection from idiots that liked to rethrow dices until they get 1818181818
There are no "rules: on how you determine your stats during character creation, only common methods. Rolling dice is one of those, using point system is another. You use whatever is agreed on in your group/DM.

Last edited by a moderator:

R@tmaster

Educated
Well I just hope they will do something with this before the release, because this looks like NWN 2 all over again.

Ent

Savant
I mean its nowhere near as bad as having a maxed out stats - it just allows one to comfortably have an 18 in a single primary stat. Also I'm pretty sure those characters (or least the Barbarian) are iconics which are basically super NPCs that appears in multiple adventure paths in pathfinder.

sstacks

Arcane
I just started a livestream of Pathfinder Kingmaker on YouTube:

UPDATED: Resting mechanics, the Spider Cave and the Ancient Tomb. Linzi the bard is recruited.

Last edited:

Ent

Savant
Thanks for the stream man - this is probably the most promising alpha I've seen in a while.

sstacks

Arcane
Can you customize it that characters drop unconscious at 0 hit points, and will bleed out with risk of death unless healed? And no popping up automatically with 1 hp.

It depends on which difficulty level ("rules set") you choose. I can't remember off hand for each one, but my first video in my Pathfinder Kingmaker playlist goes through the option screens.

Sykar

Arcane
That is the glory of 25 point buy my friend
It is in fact not 25 point-buy since standard is to start at attribute level 8, not 10. So you have to add 12 points and therefore this is in fact 37 point buy. Try to get the same stats in ToEE with the point-buy system. Good luck.

Also iirc you could set some sort of "silver star" and get another +2 to that attribute. If I am not mistaken that can add another 4-6 points to the equation, making it a 40+ point-buy system, NOT 25.

Here a possible human barbarian in TOEE by comparison:

Str 18 (16 points)
Dex 14 (6 points)
Con 11 (3 points)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 8

Not quite as good eh? You could shave off 2 points from strength and have 6 points for the secondary attributes if you fancy but with two handed damage bonus being rounded down you go from +6 bonus damage to +4. A substantial difference especially in early game.

Last edited:
Ehm, that +2 to any one stat is a human racial bonus, it gets assigned after you determine the stats. So you should reduce it's price from point buy cost, not add it. Also, in point buy for pathfinder you do in fact start with 10 in each stat.

With that in mind the NPCs right now are build with 20 points (barbarian), 26 points (fighter) and 32 points (dwarf). They really should cut down the dwarf charisma, with racial -2 it costs a lot of points.

PrettyDeadman

Str 18 (16 points)
Dex 14 (6 points)
Con 11 (3 points)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 8
Lame build.
I, personally, much prefer something like this:
STR 20
DEX 18
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

I am glad Owlcats listen to their fanbase
:russiastronk:

Sykar

Arcane

Str 18 (16 points)
Dex 14 (6 points)
Con 11 (3 points)
Int 8
Wis 8
Cha 8
Lame build. I, personally, much prefer something like this:
STR 20
DEX 18
Con 18
Int 10
Wis 10
Cha 10

I am glad Owlcats listen to their fanbase
:russiastronk:

Well I guess that is why most people roll in TOEE. Though for casters it does not matter much but for characters which need multiple stats like Paladin and Monk it is a bit too restrictive and does not leave much room to play with, resulting in very similar characters.

Sykar

Arcane
Ehm, that +2 to any one stat is a human racial bonus, it gets assigned after you determine the stats. So you should reduce it's price from point buy cost, not add it. Also, in point buy for pathfinder you do in fact start with 10 in each stat.

With that in mind the NPCs right now are build with 20 points (barbarian), 26 points (fighter) and 32 points (dwarf). They really should cut down the dwarf charisma, with racial -2 it costs a lot of points.

+2 to any stat? That is better than a bonus feat. As to point-buy, I do not care nor does it change my point that Pathfinder is a 37 point-buy compared to anything I played so far. Those 12 points go a long way and even if you are a caster you usually get at least some constitution and dexterity. Another +2 to wisdom is also helpful for better will saves or +2 to int helps getting one more skill maxed for anyone who is not an int reliant class. +2 to strength does not hurt either.

Last edited:
Yes well, this is a pathfinder game and therefore has pathfinder rules. It's not d&d 3.0 of ToEE and it is certainly not d&d 5e. You can't directly compare it with d&d like that because the value of attributes is not the same as in d&d. Different monster stats, different to-hit chances, different feat system, different spell system, different itemization - these all affect the relative value of attributes.

Sykar

Arcane
Yes well, this is a pathfinder game and therefore has pathfinder rules. It's not d&d 3.0 of ToEE and it is certainly not d&d 5e. You can't directly compare it with d&d like that because the value of attributes is not the same as in d&d. Different monster stats, different to-hit chances, different feat system, different spell system, different itemization - these all affect the relative value of attributes.

It is based on D&D 3.5.

Indeed, it is based. But here's a couple of little differences to 3.5 just when it comes to point buy:

1) Recommended values for point buy in Pathfinder range from 10 (low fantasy) to 25 (epic). The same values in dnd 3.5 range from 15 to 32. Equivalent to those 25 points epic is 32 points in 3.5.
2) Pathfinder has higher point cost of raising stats. It takes 17 points in Pathfinder to raise a stat to max 18 from starting 10, where it takes 16 points in 3.5 to raise a stat to max 18 from starting 8.

So yeah, it's kind of pointless to compare point values of characters across different game systems this directly. Especially since roll methods can and do create a huge difference in stats all the time in the same game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom