Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Participation Award

Bocian

Arcane
What does it mean? Is it something like "congratulations, you tried"? I'd enjoy to know some bit of history.

Old One

Arcane
What does it mean? Is it something like "congratulations, you tried"? I'd enjoy to know some bit of history.
You've got it right.

I don't know where or when participation awards started (they weren't around when I was a kid), but they've become more and more common over the past 25 years or so, at least in the U.S.

They originate in the idea that competition is mean, and hurts the kids who don't win. Since it's bad to feel bad because someone else is better than you are, you should get an award just for showing up. It's supposed to make kids with no talent feel better about themselves. If you belong to a basketball team that loses every game by 50 points, you still get a participation award.

Around here a participation award means your post is being insulted as not adding anything of value.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-let-his-sons-accept-participation-trophies/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
In case you haven't noticed, only the first post can be rated with the Participation award, just like how the 2nd prize winner is the first loser.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
Relevant again because of the name.
Last Christmas, I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom