Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paradox announces Runemaster, a Norse-themed turn-based RPG

Thane Solus

Arcane
"hey guys, there is a new trend now with indie fantasy turn based games, i know! Lets make one too...."

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The game has supposedly been in development for 2 years already, so they started before the kickstarter indie turn-based rpg bandwagon started rolling.
Paradox has probably been very happy with how the market has developed over the last two years though. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Mm, supervague euro grbg. I'd prefer if they hold off on announcements until they actually have something they can announce.

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
Mm, supervague euro grbg. I'd prefer if they hold off on announcements until they actually have something they can announce.

It's Paradox though (in house dev) so it's probably going to be pretty good. I lost hundreds of hours in CK2. Can't wait to see what they do with an RPG.

I just hope it's not Diabloesque. I love Diablo, but I don't think Paradox can do a game like that justice.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's Paradox though (in house dev) so it's probably going to be pretty good. I lost hundreds of hours in CK2. Can't wait to see what they do with an RPG.

I just hope it's not Diabloesque. I love Diablo, but I don't think Paradox can do a game like that justice.
I don't play strategy games and I have the feeling this with be not unlike King's Bounty or HoMM and I would prefer they confirm that so I can go right on ignoring this.

Onyxme

Novice
m preordering this fucka eventho its Paradox, its gonna be a buggy piece of shit at release, thats pretty much guaranteed. These guys invented Early Access.
Is it really though? The last two big games their in-house development team has done; have both been almost completely bug-free. And that is impressive considering the scale of those titles.

Edit: Also, don't pre-order you pleb. Bad consumer! BAD!

Severian Silk

I don't like the HoMM, M&B, Expeditions: Conquistador style worldmaps with the little dudes traveling across shrunken forests and mountains. Especially if they are limited to traveling between a series of nodes connected with lines.

:3/5:

That said, I like tactical combat, so:

:5/5:

for the combat.

But, then, the game is also randomized, which is rarely a good thing in practice, so:

:3/5:

for the procedural generation.

Last edited by a moderator:

oscar

Arcane
Cool news, though I'm getting a little tired of Viking/Norse fantasy theme (especially as it is usually whitewashed and made quite bland).

mondblut

Arcane
Recruit and command an expansive range of units with unique abilities. Learn to use your troops – and the terrain of the battlefield – to crush your enemies.

Reeks of King's Bounty/Ascension to the throne/whatever. Isn't it about time for the "HoMM without a castle" genre to die?

veryalien

Educated
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm cool as long as I can take concubines and play heavy metal while subjugating coastal provinces.

Also tie in into CK2 Old God's where my character can appear as a landless adventurer!

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Recruit and command an expansive range of units with unique abilities. Learn to use your troops – and the terrain of the battlefield – to crush your enemies.

Reeks of King's Bounty/Ascension to the throne/whatever. Isn't it about time for the "HoMM without a castle" genre to die?
No.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
\Dwarves, ... and Dark Elves.
From what I remember these are meant to be the same thing... inb4 they're pretty much Drow and this game is as (un)true to proper Norse myth as the Avengers.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Cool news, though I'm getting a little tired of Viking/Norse fantasy theme (especially as it is usually whitewashed and made quite bland).
So far Heroine's Quest has been the only game I know of that's done the Norse theme well. I'm hopeful they'll use actual myth and lore rather than something distilled from D&D

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
RUNE did the viking theme well:
Chop off enemy head. Pick it up and throw at other enemies.
Who cares about authenticity if you have limb-throwing.

hakuroshi

Augur
\Dwarves, ... and Dark Elves.
From what I remember these are meant to be the same thing... inb4 they're pretty much Drow and this game is as (un)true to proper Norse myth as the Avengers.

Nobody knows, really, what they were meant to be, dwarves is just most plausible theory.

The game sounds interesting and does remind of Darklands which may be good. Or not. Paradox never did RPGs before, though both CKs played with the idea. They are arguably best in global strategy field, but there are no competition for them. All their games are flawed (in varied degree) even if conceptually great.

Still I wish them luck - there'll never be too many good turn-based rpgs.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal

Looks like another addition ot the crowd trying to ride the wave of turn-based CRPGs with the lowest amount of effort possible.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So how many DLC packs are they planning for this? 50? I know 5+ DLC packs for day 1 are mandatory, but I need to know if paradox are going to "support" the game by releasing core features in the long term.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
So how many DLC packs are they planning for this? 50?
Woudn't surprise me. Since each playthrough is procedurally generated, it will be easy to integrade DLC that expands the possibility space for the procedures into the main game.

Or maybe the swedish like making games about the norse.

Can't blame them, if me and the Codex BR/PT squad did a RPG, I'm pretty sure we would do something with:
1. Bandeirantes
2. Sailing across the world, Portuguese-style
3. Post-Apoc, on the jungle
4. Something fantasy, involving one of the these elements
5. A mix of these (Post-Apoc Neo-Brazilian Sailors and Bandeirantes rediscovering the rest of the world?)
6. Something else
Sounds good, get on with it! Kickstarter when?

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Everyone seems to be jumping on the turn-based cRPG bandwagon - can't say I'm complaining, though. A few years ago I didn't think I'd see the day - this could be great! :incline:

Last edited:

hivemind

Wonderful now even the RPG crowd will get to experience the great and customer friendly policy of 123,66 € worth of DLC for a 39,99 € game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom