Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Top 10 Adventure Games [Results]

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks to all who participated, and without further adieu, here are the results!

Coming in at #1, was really no surprise, The Monkey Island Series.

secretMI1103063653-00-404.jpg
MI2938066494-00-404.jpg
MI31108834567-00-404.jpg

Vote wise we love the series just as it was released. Most of the votes came for the first one (The Secret of Monkey Island). 2nd most votes for 2 and 3rd most votes for 3. With 4 the runner up.

It is without a doubt an epic journey of lulz and just outright fun. A must play for any Adventure Game fan.

Coming in at number 2, is the wacky and entertaining Grim Fandango.

grimf1185590078-00-404.jpg

The hero's name is Manuel "Manny" Calavera. We don't know much about his life; but we do know what happened to him after he died. In case you didn't know, the Land of the Dead is where all people are reincarnated after death, looking like puppet-like skeletons. The Land of the Dead is very similar to the world of the living: people work, have careers, fall in love, and can even die again, turning into flowers. And they all await their final destiny - a trip to the underworld. Depending on their deeds in life, they might get a good journey or be destined to walk there without any means. Manny works in a travel agency that takes care of such trips. But recently, something has been going wrong. Manny is unable to get good clients, and he suspects there is a scheme to falsify the dossiers of dead people and to offer the best trips to scoundrels for bribes. Manny's grand adventure begins as he steps into the world of corruption and intrigues.

This would eventually become the last of the great era of the classic Lucas Arts Adventure Games. But at least it went out with a bang.

Coming into 3rd place, is yet another Lucas Art's Classic Game, Day of the Tentacle.

dayoftent963809678-00-404.jpg

Purple Tentacle, one of the crazy Dr. Fred's creations, drinks contaminated water from Dr. Fred's Sludge-o-matic. He mutates into an insane genius and grows arms, and now he's plotting to take over the world. In an effort to stop him, Dr. Fred sends three friends, Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne back in time to yesterday, in order for them to turn off the Sludge-o-matic and stop the sludge from spilling into the river, thus preventing the whole incident. Naturally, the cheap doctor uses a fake diamond over a real one in his time machine, which blows up sending Hoagie 200 years into the past and Laverne 200 years into the future.

Now you must bring back Hoagie and Laverne, with the help of the time machine's ability to move objects between time periods, and then stop evil Purple from taking over the world.

#4 #5 #6

Our 4th, 5th and 6th place games all tied with exactly the same number of votes. So I wont really assign them a place, just know they all tied evenly:

Indy946883553-00-404.jpg

The great archaeologist and adventurer has to solve a grand mystery once again, aided by his trusty whip, his sharp wit, and his courage. A man who calls himself Mr. Smith is interested in a certain ancient statue. When the unsuspecting Indy hands it over to the client, he finds out that Mr. Smith is in fact a colonel in the Nazi army! Why was he so interested in that statue? A girl who had once worked together with Indy, the pretty red-haired (and a bit troublesome) Sophia, tells him the whole thing must have a connection with the legendary lost continent Atlantis. Gathering clues from all over the world, Indy and Sophia embark on their greatest journey!

You all universally singled this one Indiana Jones game out singly. Apparently it represents the best of all the Indiana Jones games.

sana1039028406-00-404.jpg

The player is cast as Max Laughton, a man who wakes up in a bizarre asylum, suffering from amnesia due to a car accident. He will have to find out who he is, and what he is doing there.

TLJ1039462371-00-404.jpg

The Longest Journey is a third-person graphic adventure in which you play the role of April Ryan, a struggling student artist in the year 2209, recently arrived in the big city of Newport. April is afflicted with strange nightmares, but her nightmares are starting to affect her waking world as well. Only the strange old man Cortez seems to know what's happening. He sends April to another world where magic is real. There, April learns that what she thought were nightmares are real, and that she must save not just one, but two worlds.

Coming in at 7th place is the wonderful Blade Runner.

blader1070572258-00-404.jpg

The game is based on the famous movie bearing the same title. In the grim world of the future, cities lie in darkness, and nature gave its way to artificial, bio-mechanical production of all creatures - including human beings. Those "artificial humans" are called replicants, and are treated as servants unworthy of being "true" humans. You play the role of police officer McCoy, a Blade Runner, whose special job is to hunt down replicant rebels. But during your investigations, you also get to see their side, and your vision of the world and society begins to change...

Enjoy the wonderful setting that is Blade Runner, and uncover a mystery. Filled with a lot of choice and consequences. Because we love that here at fair Codexia. It is a wonderful and very fun game.

At 8th place is the excellent Beneath a Steel Sky.

beneath1070316117-00-404.jpg

In futuristic Australia, there are giant cities owned solely by corporations, separated by a giant wasteland known as The Gap. When Robert Foster's Gap-dwelling tribe is killed by soldiers from Union City who capture him, everything changes for him. After a narrow escape from the helicopter bringing him there as it inexplicably crashes, Robert and his droid Joey must search the decaying city, attempting to befriend both the snobby rich and the frustrated poor as the two attempt to get out of the city, but in the middle of everything they uncover the dark truth about LINC, the bizarre computer which makes the city tick.

At 9th place, you overwhelmingly voted Quest for Glory 4 as your favorite of the series.

qfg4927866659-00-404.jpg

Sierra's fourth Quest For Glory game is a journey into the land of Mordavia, a Transylvania-like setting. Our Hero had just begun to enjoy his victory in Tarna, when a spell zapped him into parts unknown, without a weapon, items, or even a source of light. Life has never been quite so dangerous for our Hero. He'll discover his quest soon enough; that is, if he lives!

4 had the most votes, with 2 coming in at second place.

And at number 10, The Gabriel Knight Series.

GK1947363330-00-404.jpg

Hands down you all loves the first installment of this series. Sins of the Father.

And that is all folks! Thanks again for voting! Now get out there and play these great Adventure games!

Final Vote Data (i ONLY counted games that had more than 4 votes):

Monkey Island series 65
Grim Fandango 36
Day of the Tentacle 31
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis 26
Sanitarium 26
The Longest Journey 26
Blade Runner 23
Beneath a Steel Sky 22
Quest for Glory Series 20
Gabriel Knight 19
Sam & Max Hit the Road 18
Broken Sword 16
Discworld Series 15
Full Throttle 15
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream 14
Leisure Suit Larry 13
Space Quest Series 13
The Last Express 12
King´s Quest 10
Dreamweb 9
Fahrenheit - Indigo Prophecy 9
The Legend of Kyrandia 9
The Dig 8
Penumbra series 7
Simon the Sorcerer series 7
Bloodnet 6
Syberia Series 6
Death Gate 5
Loom 5
Maniac Mansion 5
Police Quest Series 5
Tex Murphy series(all) 5

Thanks, Jaesun.
Crooked Bee said:
Too bad Full Throttle didn't make it, though. :/
I remember back when it was released, there was something of a split between Lucas Arts/adventure game fans. Some thought it was among the best, if not THE best LA game yet (they cited writing, art direction, characters, humour, etc.). Others found it disappointing: it was shorter and easier than the earlier games, split into bite-sized chunks and had enough cutscenes to feel dangerously close at times to watching a cartoon (rather than playing a game). Grim Fandango was very similar in this respect (plus it had the awkward controls). I have to admit that while I like both games, I didn't place either in my personal top ten for precisely this reason.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks Jaesun !

And that list with the best adventures will never really change...

:smug:
:/
:(

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Only 5 votes for Tex? What a bunch of fags you all are!

Lame arse Ron Gilbert humor in the popamole of adventure games wins?

I voted for it too, but still, it's not that good to get double the votes of the next game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
commie said:

I voted for it too, but still, it's not that good to get double the votes of the next game.

:D

I was a bit pissed Syberia (I fucking love that game) got less votes than fucking Indigo Prophecy. FFS!

Interestingly enough, I should have added a meta part to the voting, and listed your top 10 NON Lucas Arts Adventure games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Some other good adventures that didn't appear at all and deserve to be mentioned :

Shadow Of The Comet
The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes 1&2
Conquests of the Longbow
Elvira 1 - Mistress of the Dark
Freddy Pharkas - Frontier Pharmacist
Neuromancer
Death Gate
KGB
Rise Of The Dragon

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah ghostdog. A number of those titles did show up, but were under the 4 or less votes sadly.

Imbecile

Arbiter
commie said:

In fairness it does represent four games worth of votes. I'd be curious to see how many votes each individual monkey island game, but I guess the problem was that some people voted for a series and others for individual games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sanitarium and Longest Journey made to the list! Sweet, well deserved. Although each one of the games deserves a place in the Top 10. Great games!

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Jaesun said:
Interestingly enough, I should have added a meta part to the voting, and listed your top 10 NON Lucas Arts Adventure games.

Well you know what you have to do next then....;) It's not so much the idea that Lucasfilm made these 'uber' games and everyone else made shit, it's just that apart from them and Sierra there was little else at the time that wasn't swamped by the deluge of Sierra and Lucasfilm titles. Lucasfilm games were popamole compared to the 'die a thousand deaths' of Sierra titles in that you rarely 'died', and I bet that helped their popularity for a broader audience no end as well.

commie said:
It's not so much the idea that Lucasfilm made these 'uber' games and everyone else made shit, it's just that apart from them and Sierra there was little else at the time that wasn't swamped by the deluge of Sierra and Lucasfilm titles. Lucasfilm games were popamole compared to the 'die a thousand deaths' of Sierra titles in that you rarely 'died', and I bet that helped their popularity for a broader audience no end as well.
Legend Entertainment struck me as the "other" big adventure game developer at the time. It had a long stream of titles and maintained a consistently high level of quality, although it was never as popular as Sierra or Lucas Arts. (Which probably had to do with the fact that most of LE's games were based on books and had a lot of text in general, a legacy from their interactive fiction days).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Legend's IF games were generally better than their graphic adventures, but Death Gate and Callahan's and Superero League were all very awesome (though League was more of a CRPG with adventure elements and interface).

I almost raged when I didn't see Sam & Max on the top 10, but it's actually at 11 so... not too bad.

It's definitely not my top 10, but I can't really argue, as all 10 inductees are high-quality games. And it just had to be restricted to 10 after all.

Although... did you just ADD UP the votes of the MI's to give it #1? because if so it's cheating, as I get the feeling Curse would've been much lower otherwise.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Sceptic said:
Although... did you just ADD UP the votes of the MI's to give it #1? because if so it's cheating, as I get the feeling Curse would've been much lower otherwise.

No.

User A
1 Vote for MI 3 == 1 vote for the Monkey Island Series

User B
1 vote for MI 1, MI2 == 1 vote for Monkey island series

User C
1 vote for MI 1, MI2, MI3 == 1 vote for Monkey island series

etc...

Curse came out with the lowest number of votes. 1 and 2's were over half that of Curse.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Maybe a list with each game on his own (without the "series" stuff) would also be interesting. Care to post the individual results Jaesun ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ghostdog said:
Maybe a list with each game on his own (without the "series" stuff) would also be interesting. Care to post the individual results Jaesun ?

Yeah I could break that down. I'm just not going to do that today heh. It's just a bit of work to do.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Also, those who didn't play Azrael's Tear don't know what they are missing either. And Conquests of the Longbow is the best sierra game for C&C (which is not saying much, i know).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom