Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Original Bard's Tale Trilogy IP rights

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who owns them? EA or inXile? Or both?

Brian is selling the original trilogy along with the next-gen game these days, so you'd think he owns it all. Yet, I can't find any record on the Internet of inXile buying the rights from EA.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
If I am reading the US copyright site correctly, it's still owned by EA.

It is possible inXile did an agreement with EA to do those ports?

mondblut

Arcane
From the history of Fallout recently published, we learn that EA Wasteland rights would have expired and reverted back to IPLY after 7 years of unuse were it not for some bundle reissue that extended those rights 7 years further. So, I'd presume whatever Bard's Tale rights EA used to have, have long expired due to not being put to use.

From the history of Fallout recently published, we learn that EA Wasteland rights would have expired and reverted back to IPLY after 7 years of unuse were it not for some bundle reissue that extended those rights 7 years further. So, I'd presume whatever Bard's Tale rights EA used to have, have long expired due to not being put to use.

That sounds like contractual obligations, which would only hold if the Bard's Tale contract had the same clause. On its own copyright basically lasts forever.

mondblut

Arcane
That sounds like contractual obligations, which would only hold if the Bard's Tale contract had the same clause. On its own copyright basically lasts forever.

Since both Wasteland and Bard's Tale were developed by the same entity, published by the same entity, and all about the same time, I figure chances are high the clauses could be the same.

Didn't IPLY publish a bundle of RPGs containing BT on a cd sometimes in late 90s? "fantasy collection" or something like that.

Luzur

Good Sir

Since both Wasteland and Bard's Tale were developed by the same entity, published by the same entity, and all about the same time, I figure chances are high the clauses could be the same.

Didn't IPLY publish a bundle of RPGs containing BT on a cd sometimes in late 90s? "fantasy collection" or something like that.

you are thinking about Ultimate RPG Archives, which indeed contains Bard's Tale 1-3 + conc set along with Dragon Wars and Wasteland.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

you are thinking about Ultimate RPG Archives, which indeed contains Bard's Tale 1-3 + conc set along with Dragon Wars and Wasteland.

Not to mention Ultima Underworld 1 and 2(!), Wizardry Gold(!) and Might and Magic 4 and 5(!)

How they legally assembled that collection I have no idea

Luzur

Good Sir

Not to mention Ultima Underworld 1 and 2 (!), Wizardry Gold(!) and Might and Magic 4 and 5(!)

How they legally assembled that collection I have no idea

with alot of cash, sex and daggers penetrating backsides in dark alleys i presume.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Who owns them? EA or inXile? Or both?

It's pretty complex, but essentially both. Fargo's had nothing but praise for EA working with him in getting the old Bard's Tales out there, managing the Wasteland license and hopefully allowing the first to be rereleased eventually.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom