Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Order of the Thorne - new game from Infamous Quests

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, no problem - the only reason everyone got Steam codes was because it was easy to distribute those to everyone. Anyway, check your PMs!

Bt

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ohey I want a Gog key in lieu of Steam too.

Wouldn't play till I get through QfG and I though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
All right, expecting greatness here. Why isn't anyone in this thread actually discussing the game yet? I know it's been less than two days, but that's enough time to complete any classic adventure game. :troll:

298bc71a8b.png

well i've played it for roughly 30 minutes so far and well uhm

JKsDCgV.gif

perhaps i just won't comment

While I don't want to cause BT any emotional trauma, I would be legitimately interested in hearing your thoughts on the game. I tend to disagree with the conclusions of your critiques, but I generally find them stimulating and thought-through.

I guess my most specific question would be: "Do you believe that consumers specifically looking for a spiritual successor to the KQ franchise will be disappointed by the game?", but I would be interested in hearing any other general criticisms you care to voice.

Sizzle

Arcane
Just finished it.

A very charming (if a bit too short and easy, it took me about 2h to complete it) game, can't wait for the next one.

All in all, kudos to Blackthorne, had a lot of fun with it. When can we expect Fortress of Fire?

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
We're working hard on FoF and have a lot of work done, but I don't want to give out any kind of estimate as people will hold you to it. It'll be out later this year, though. I'd love for it to be sooner rather than later!

Bt

Sizzle

Arcane
Well, like I said, it's very short.

But, that isn't necessarily a negative, all the puzzles are logical (although really easy), and the characters are genuinely nice, in that 80's cartoon way (minus the cringe, cheesy part). In fact, apart from some pompous and mishevious characters, there's only one who's really "bad" (
I half-expected the gnome to turn out to be the Queen, that would have been a fun twist :)
).

Speaking of the 80's, the music was also great, reminded me of some cartoons/fantasy movies/games I watched/played as a kid. If that was what you were going for, job well done.

Even though Quest for Infamy is certainly a more reactive, harder, longer game, I liked this approach better, mostly because QFI's humor was very hit & miss for me. Here, even though some will probably argue that the game is "bland", there's very little to complain about, it works well, there's no cynicism or edginess, just a nice little fairy-tale anyone can play.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Thanks - yes, it is definitely shorter than QFI, but I did try to pack some extras in there for people who wanted to talk and explore. This game, while being it's own self-contained story, is definitely a toe-dip into a larger story - I don't know if you got to see all the backstory to the land and the lore, etc. The games will get more involved and probably a little bit longer as we progress in the series, but probably never as large as QFI again. (At least not on the kind of budgets we have to work with.)

We absolutely were shooting for the 80s feel, from Saturday Morning cartoons to the fantasy fims that dominated the early 80s. When I discussed my ideas for the soundtrack with the composer, James Mulvale, we mentioned bands like Tangerine Dream (From Legend) and Vangelis (from Blade Runner), Giorgio Moroder (Neverending Story). I designed the opening credits to remind me of many cartoons I grew up with - Vol-Tron and the Galaxy Rangers, for instance. So, thanks for picking that up and rolling with it.

So, yeah, this game is a nice, easy venture into the anthology - Finn is a very naive, young and "nice" lead - the protagonist of our next game is a squire named Patrick - he's got a bit more chip on his shoulder/I have something to prove going for him. I hope Fortress of Fire turns out as well as I think it will! It's definitely a little darker in tone from TKC, as it takes place in a land called "The Valley of Sunlight" which was once beautiful, but is now ravaged by some unknown force/reason.

Bt

Sizzle

Arcane
Thanks - yes, it is definitely shorter than QFI, but I did try to pack some extras in there for people who wanted to talk and explore. This game, while being it's own self-contained story, is definitely a toe-dip into a larger story - I don't know if you got to see all the backstory to the land and the lore, etc. The games will get more involved and probably a little bit longer as we progress in the series, but probably never as large as QFI again. (At least not on the kind of budgets we have to work with.)

Yeah, I think I caught if not everything
the Avalon stuff sounds interesting, I'm wondering where you're going to go with it
, then at least most of it, I always try to exhaust every possible dialogue option when playing a game like this.

We absolutely were shooting for the 80s feel, from Saturday Morning cartoons to the fantasy fims that dominated the early 80s. When I discussed my ideas for the soundtrack with the composer, James Mulvale, we mentioned bands like Tangerine Dream (From Legend) and Vangelis (from Blade Runner), Giorgio Moroder (Neverending Story). I designed the opening credits to remind me of many cartoons I grew up with - Vol-Tron and the Galaxy Rangers, for instance. So, thanks for picking that up and rolling with it.

Oh, man, Tangerine Dream, that's awesome! Once again, great job at capturing that feel, the OST was really evocative, transported me to my VCR (and Betamax!) rewinding childhood.

So, yeah, this game is a nice, easy venture into the anthology - Finn is a very naive, young and "nice" lead - the protagonist of our next game is a squire named Patrick - he's got a bit more chip on his shoulder/I have something to prove going for him. I hope Fortress of Fire turns out as well as I think it will! It's definitely a little darker in tone from TKC, as it takes place in a land called "The Valley of Sunlight" which was once beautiful, but is now ravaged by some unknown force/reason.

Bt

Sounds great. Good luck with future installments of OoTT - I'm very much looking forward to them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Email update:

iGUcAD_bRcy6X8gkCff-sJ-X4NNV0bubR3dRfsVQ-QSdbLvTOiwcyF964AGQb0fu0WyEhN4CmHzdApjzQw4DrwlwTz7qGZklmcqML8aYuXGbKw4cwKGaVOIwQ-e2SUuPWsPEYiuyFROrmNvMiXCT0ROalpXKJqT0Xzn3eh0=s0-d-e1-ft

What’s going on with the folks at Infamous Quests
Hey friends and fans; I just wanted to write a quick blog entry to talk about some of the things we’re working on now! It’s been an exciting time for Infamous Quests – we recently released our second game, The Order of the Thorne: The King’s Challenge and are currently working on several more games!

And now, we come to The Order of the Thorne: Fortress of Fire. The next chapter of this game promises to continue on the tales of the Land of Uir – there’s a lot happening in that world, and I think that after dipping your toe into the world in The King’s Challenge, Fortress of Fire will send you further down the proverbial rabbit hole! In Fortress of Fire, you do not play as Finn from The King’s Challenge, but the hero of this game is Patrick – squire to the Knight Sir Caradoc of the Order of the Thorne. Patrick must learn the ways of the Order and become the hero he believes he was meant to be. With an interesting land to explore, and a colorful cast of characters, Fortress of Fire is going to be an exciting adventure that you can play with your friends and family!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's the whole thing:

What’s going on with the folks at Infamous Quests
Hey friends and fans; I just wanted to write a quick blog entry to talk about some of the things we’re working on now! It’s been an exciting time for Infamous Quests – we recently released our second game, The Order of the Thorne: The King’s Challenge and are currently working on several more games!

In the game development queue we have QFI: Roehm to Ruin – the heretofore untold back story of Mr. Roehm’s escape from Baron Brandlevrot and his journey to Volksville. We’re having a lot of fun with this; the game had a fun cast of characters, and you can expect to see the same brand of snark and fun that you expect from Mr. Roehm and company. This is definitely a shorter game than QFI, but let’s be honest – most are going to be.

We’ve been doing a lot of fond reminiscing back on Quest for Infamy – its roots stretching all the way back to 2003, but we first began production on the demo four years ago this month. We would use that demo in out first Kickstarter later that year – I’m so proud of the team that made that happen; 2012 was a special year full of promise, and we all believed in the future of adventure games and Kickstarter. Four years later, it didn’t turn out to be quite the revival we’d all hoped; we’ve released two games now, but sadly, some games funded from back then have failed to materialize. I can tell you from experience – game production is hard. It really is!

The only reason Quest for Infamy was finished was because of the dedication of the team that worked on it! We made this game through sheer will – people worked for reduced rates and/or for free to ensure that the game would get done. We wanted to make the ultimate tribute to the point and click adventures that we loved, and I think we succeeded there. We went far over budget with the game, and ultimately – it did not recoup its total budget. But the game is still finding fans all this time later – almost two years after release. So I understand why so many games fell behind or sadly, fell to the wayside. I definitely miss the enthusiasm that everyone had in 2012. We’re all a little harder, a little jaded – the fans and the devs. But there’s still people making great games out there. It’s an important lesson, for me at least, to remember that things don’t always turn out the way you plan, but things can still turn out all right. I’ve made some great friends in the ensuing years – from fellow devs, artists, programmers et al to the amazing fans who have given their time and effort to supporting us. I’m thankful to that. We’ve lost touch with some people, which is definitely sad, but that’s how life works sometimes.

So, as Shawn and I were discussing Quest for Infamy, we began working on version 2.0 of the game – fixing some nagging bugs and other problems – and we remembered how much fun it was. We’re continuing on with this 2.0 upgrade, and beyond – we’ve got some things going on with QFI that we’ll talk more about in the future, and I can say the excitement is back, at least on some level.

This is carrying over into Roehm to Ruin, which we’re looking at wrapping up here in the next few months. Voices will be recorded soon, and we’re excited to continue on with the story. I’m glad there are fans out there who are interested in it!

And now, we come to The Order of the Thorne: Fortress of Fire. The next chapter of this game promises to continue on the tales of the Land of Uir – there’s a lot happening in that world, and I think that after dipping your toe into the world in The King’s Challenge, Fortress of Fire will send you further down the proverbial rabbit hole! In Fortress of Fire, you do not play as Finn from The King’s Challenge, but the hero of this game is Patrick – squire to the Knight Sir Caradoc of the Order of the Thorne. Patrick must learn the ways of the Order and become the hero he believes he was meant to be. With an interesting land to explore, and a colorful cast of characters, Fortress of Fire is going to be an exciting adventure that you can play with your friends and family!

It’s been a pretty amazing four years for Infamous Quests, and we’re still chugging along. I hope that passion for adventure games never wanes fully, and that we’ll be part of the many great developers that keep making games in our beloved genre. We’ve been fortunate to stand with so many other amazing designers, artists, musicians and developers – and I want to thank them for being our friends, as well as thanking all the Kickstarter Backers and Fans who support us. Thanks for all the memories, and let’s make more!

QUEST FOR INFAMY PHYSICAL REWARDS
Rewards are still being fulfilled and going out as we speak! A big shipment will be going out in a few days, and I'm excited to get more and more out there. Thanks for your patience, and I hope you enjoy the rewards!

Thank you, again, all, for your support.

Bt

Can't wait for my boxed copy and strat guide with viewer Blackthorne!! :dance:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Damn, that gorgeous art. If only I were talented enough to draw something like this.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
If he means us, we aren't buying small islands in the South Pacific yet, but we are throwing a company Pizza Party if that's what you mean.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Hey guys - just a note, Order of the Thorne is 40% off right now on Steam. Click here for savings.

ALSO, we will be at PAX East, if anyone is going - we're booth 11093! Stop on by, get some swag, shoot the shit with us.

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom