Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

OpenMW: Porting Morrowind to an open source engine

Gord

Arcane
B-but does it have romances?

deuxhero

Arcane
Assuming they reach 1.0 in the not-too-distant future, what would be the advantage to playing OpenMW over normal Morrowind?
Is there any tangible one already? If performance is worse, what do I gain?

Even without mods, there is stability as a big reason. No crashes every 15 mins. The performance will likely be better come final release, and even if it runs worse on low end machines, it actually supports higher end ones. There's also a disturbingly high number of engine bugs that never were, nor can be, fixed in the original engine, giving some abilities that were outright useless.

Plus, post 1.0, they'll work on features not in base MW, like actual physics.

Azazel

Arbiter
Assuming they reach 1.0 in the not-too-distant future, what would be the advantage to playing OpenMW over normal Morrowind?

I imagine in the not-too-distant future everything that you have to spend hours fiddling with in Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 will be natively built into the engine, and even better.

Gord

Arcane
I imagine in the not-too-distant future everything that you have to spend hours fiddling with in Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 will be natively built into the engine, and even better.

I don't expect that to make it into 1.0.
Maybe 1.5 or 2.0.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I could imagine that the developer is hunted daily by doubts if the effort is really worth. Also regarding that "Skywind" port attracting lots of members and much faster progress. But ultimately it's true that all these remakes are bound to the Creation Kit compared to an Open Source engine with the option to sell your work (if you choose another content).

Azazel

Arbiter
Skywind pisses me off to no end. I keep having the trailers sent to me by friends and coworkers, and they simply fail to understand when I explain that it is just a visual addition that sits on top of Skyrims completely garbage mechanics and engine. I sincerely doubt that 100% of the dialogue is going to be ported over, for example.

Then I send them OpenMW and they're all "this looks shitty". :negative:

Last edited:

hakuroshi

Augur
Morrowind combat does it's job, but hardly the most exciting part of the game. And MW is a real-time rpg. Could use it with better effect.

u1LV86.gif

above: traditional RPG gameplay

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Being able to play it on your tablet/smartphone at some point.

I'm sorry.

DraQ

Arcane

Drax

Arcane
Well the nice thing about this newfangled "opensurz" concept is that if you desire to implement a new feature, the only thing preventing you is, you know, incompetence...
:troll:

Azazel

Arbiter
At least we don't need to worry about Bethesda sabotaging it from within, in that case.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom