Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

One Way Heroics

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33VYBjBW9g

Okay, I have been playing this since my post and I have come to a conclusion: This is a coffee break roguelike.

As you adventure you unlock skills, classes, and companions. An adventure is a single playthrough, but you gain Hero Points after each adventure to unlock extra things.

The game features passive online play, like Demon's/Dark Souls without invasions, which is a nice addition.

I will go and continue playing.

Last edited:

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game is harder than it looks, you do have to manage multiple resources such as time, energy, getting equipment, food, pickups, encumbrance. To be honest I do not think a casual will last long. The game's difficulty curve spikes at various times, possible due to the RNG. From what I read, killing the Dark Lord is 5% of the game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Watched a bit of that video, looks like a pretty deep rabbit hole. Gonna pick it up some time soon I think. You should post about it in the roguelike thread.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/updates/198746495/1387241356

We're in the Top 10!
16 DE DEZEMBRO - THETRIN
Hi everyone,

We're in the Top 10! What does that mean? Well, simply, it means that we're sure to get greenlit in the next batch of games! This is great news for us. We're all overjoyed, and it's all thanks to you! Thank you so much for voting for us and for supporting us every step of the way!

Can we make #1? We can certainly try!

*dances*

Nayan Ramachandran
PLAYISM

Nice, I was interested in this since someone posted a video of the jap version in the jrpg board.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
I just did two runs with a swordmaster and a pirate and won both times on the easiest difficulty. But this game definitely screams micromanagement and planning.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I am watching that video and I applaud his enthusiasm, but I want to punch him for his meandering and randomness.

The game looks p.sweet.

Perkel

Arcane
Just tried it because someone mentioned it in other thread.
It really really really looks like proper time waster. I mean i sat down and wasted 2-3 hours in like 5 minutes.
Imo this is kind of weird mix of spelunky item planning, shitload of classes and kits + one minute hero weirdness.

Gonna try play that later but from what i see this may be really good game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Still playing the Plus version of this. Got a few more things I want to try pulling off in the game before I put it down. Probably won't take too many more playthroughs though, my vault is filled with some really overpowered shit. Although, that won't help me with the Tourist. Hmmmm.

You could honestly sink an eternity into this though trying to get high scores and complete the game with all the classes on the higher difficulties.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I like it a lot too.

By the way, we could use a Codex review now that the expansion is out on Steam... Just saying.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Interview with the developer Smoking Wolf from PLAYISM facebook page:

This month we will be featuring the developer of One Way Heroics on our Facebook page. We'll be sharing with you his interview and a series of pictures! So stay tuned to hear more!

7t45TET.png

Q: Hi Smoking Wolf. Thank you for talking with us today. To start with, could you please introduce yourself for those who are reading this?

A: I’m an independent video game developer and creator of the “Silfade” series, “One Way Heroics” and the “WOLF RPG Editor”. I live in Osaka, and recently together with my parents.

Q: To start with, I’d like to ask, what gave you the idea to create One Way Heroics and One Way Heroics Plus?

A: When I saw a discussion about forced scrolling games on Twitter, I thought it’s such a retro element you don’t see in games these days. I began wondering if I could use elements like that to make a retro compilation, and then the words “forced scrolling RPG” came to my lips and I found myself laughing.

So, as a test piece, or an attempt to prove my idea could be realized, I began to work on an experimental prototype that could at the very least function. I decided that if it looked promising, I would do make it for real.

[Some pictures from the original version of One Way Heroics by Smoking Wolf]

d8FN40U.jpg

lIjgDFW.jpg

LNfMO9G.jpg

[1~2 months after starting work on "One Way Heroics" by Smoking Wolf (sorry its only available in Japanese)]

Q: You are the creator of Wolf RPG Maker, right? Could you tell us a little about what motivated you to create it?

A: After leaving University, I entered a life where I had to develop games to feed myself. I figured I would need my own personalized tool, and that creating in file formats very familiar to me would be useful when transferring data, so I began to create the WOLF RPG Editor. It felt like a waste to be the only one using it, and finding and removing bugs by myself was a tough task, so it made sense to increase the number of people working with and benefiting from the tool. I decided to make it accessible to the public domain in 2008, and though it meant I had to deal with a great deal of work covering support, I am always grateful for the bug reports I receive from everyone.

Since people were using my editor, I felt there should be something beneficial for them. The unofficial WOLF Editor contest I previously held was well-received, so I decided to hold contests officially as well.

Q: Would you be able to tell us what your favourite part of One Way Heroics and One Way Heroics Plus is?

A: The best part was being able to start development on One Way Heroics Plus thanks to the folks at PLAYISM, but now I’ll tell you the second thing that left an impression on me.

The last epilogue added to One Way Heroics Plus was actually for Nemuri’s human ending. It is a hidden epilogue you can see by finishing the game with Nemuri in human form, but I originally had no intention to make this… right up until the very last moment.
The game was just about finished, and though people wanted it I felt I didn’t really need to make Nemuri’s human ending. I was convinced that such opportunist storytelling would be unnatural in a game like One Way Heroics.

At that time, however, I remembered how the Great East Japan Earthquake had been at the back of my mind all through the development of the original game. After all, that project began just about half a year following the incident. Recalling how those sad memories must have impacted the game in some way, I suddenly thought “Let’s weave in some hope for a bright future! Who cares if that’s opportunist storytelling? This is a video game!” And it was at that final stage of development that I added the human ending for Nemuri.

So that’s how it happened. I feel the “Nemuri +” ending is one that leaves you with the taste of desire for a fresh start.

[For the release of One Way Heroics Plus, Smoking Wolf released these pictures to commemorate it]

bqW8qGD.png

93A3ymJ.png

Q: Are you working on anything at the moment? What do you plan to do next?

A: I’m working on an action game called “Planet Howl” for niconico game magazine (ニコニコゲームマガジン). The release is scheduled for September 18th.

To be honest, I’ve always wanted to make the kind of game that lets you enjoy every single decision. In games like “Celestial Silfade Story” I wanted the player to be thinking ahead, about how best to proceed. That only really lasted about three playthroughs though. Ultimately I think my ideal would be a Rougelike game. Also, I'd like to make an action game with funny actions. In "Monolith-Sphere" you have to drag the mouse to jump, but it seems there were few people who could adapt to that, haha.

I want to make a game that constantly makes you feel a sense of dilemma; always making you think which path to take, with intertwined story and random elements - but I may not be able to make such a game in my lifetime. Currently there's no signs of me achieving that.

For those intereted, the original Japanese interview is here: http://playism.jp/article/smoking-wolf

They didn't translated the last part (on his dream[want to make games freely as long as possible] and favourite games) yet.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nice. This is probably my favorite roguelike at the moment; I play it basically every time I'm on a plane. Easy to pick up, easy to come back to, and pretty fun to play.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom