Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

On the shoulders of giants: a new multiple choices LP!

Internet

Scholar
:eek:

What the hell? Shadows watching in the dark? Northern Fire Ward collapsing? Volcano's explsion? Well, I guess we don't need to worry about the fate of the expedition's crazy fire-keeper anymore..

I really have no idea what is going on here with the appearance of mistyc creatures...

B, let's just get as far away as possible before Cthulhu or whoever shows up looking for the people who messed with the ward.

Omicron

Scholar
C, there is little reason to not set up camp in the hills. Travelling further to the sea will only cost the tribe more in food and people. The faster we can set up a permanent camp again, the faster we can scout our surroundings find new resources etc.

Monty

Arcane
Kipeci wrote:
A would have been the best option, ah... last update. But since we didn't pick C then, it's not much good now.

I disagree, as the circumstances are very different. We weren't going to move our whole tribe just because a seer ordered us to, but made a temporary move in case the seer was proved right and we had awoken something in the mountain. Now we know the seer was right both in her prediction and in claiming that we lack knowledge of the spiritual world. We are a superstitious people who worship fire, and have just watched a mountain explode because we awoke something inside. The only source of further knowledge on the spiritual world (and possible explanation for what happened) is the seer, so I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that some of the tribe would want to know more instead of going on as if nothing had changed in our world view.

I agree that in terms of basic development of our civilisation B or C are far superior options. But given what has happened and our previous decision to embark on fire worship I say A is a perfectly valid choice too.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
B.

Now that we've tampered with Fire, we should go for Water, and finally Wind, Earth and Heart. The Obsidian Embers shall be the wielders of the very elements themselves!

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Captain%2BPlanet.jpg

What a great idea.

Curufinwe

Learned
The refugees' position in the end prevailed, although many called it foolhardy.
The boats kept going, leaving the burning mountain miles behind, following the many twists and turns of the river.
We soon arrived at the hills, lushly forested yet now covered in ash as everything else so far. The sky was still black and it was growing still colder.
Our scouts, ranging around the river, found some clean springs and we could replenish our stock of water and save some of the animals who were reaching the end of their resistance.

We kept pushing on, until finally we started seeing colors different from the omnipresent gray. We started again spotting green meadows.
We kept going then, after another turn of the river, the world opened up. And it was blue.

images

The river ran straight into a great body of water, its mouth enlarging only slightly allowing the flowing water to join the motionless one.
We rushed onward, both us and the animals eager to drink, while others started grabbing their fishing tools to replenish our food stock.

The water was sweet and clean, the upriver ravages not yet having any effect here. The shores ran on and on both left and right, slightly curved. Far to our right we could see a dark green line, a forest, coming right on the waterfront. In front of us, only water.
To the left our sight was blocked by yet more hills.

We made camp and stopped for a few days to replenish our strength, before the time came again to take decisions.

We had to decide wheter to make this a permanent camp or yet another stop before we moved farther.

A. Some elders spoke: 'This is a good spot. The water's drinkable, we still have the river and the hills will provide wood for shelter and fire. Let's stop here, we're tired of running.'
B. The warriors disagreed: 'This spot here is too close to the enemy that hunted down other tribes and destroyed them. We are strong, but I think we should follow the shore to the left for several days, to be safer.'
C. A few of the scouts made their own proposal: 'We are not safe here, yes, but staying right on the shore, although further from the enemy, wouldn't be much better. The hills at our backs are densely forested, giving good concealment, and higher ground would allow us to spot any trouble long before it can see us. We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish, true, but it would be only a minor inconvenience.'

Monty

Arcane
B - We've come here for water and fish, no use in going back to the hills. Moving a couple of days away from the barbarians (and the polluted river back to our old mountain) makes sense. We can still have lookouts in the hills.

Flipped to prevent C winning, details below.

Vernydar

Learned
C

Everyone, I invite you to carefulness. We know these places have been scourged by savages, we do not want to be caught unaware. Going left in choice B is hardly better, we do not know what we're going to find!

I say we look around for a high, defensible place in these lush hills. Possibly, a place with clear springs, we should be able to find them! We would be in a defensible position, with water, and with fertile land for pasture and gathering. We can expand to the coast later on, once we have fortifications. We are not so many as to simply build our camp in the least defensible position!

Think about this, fellow tribesmen!

Rumsfeld

Scholar
Vernydar wrote:
We would be in a defensible position, with water

Well, we might find water in the hills and we might not. Saying 'let's find a spring in the hills nearby' is the same as saying 'let's find a position we can fortify further along the coast'. Surely we need to go on the information we are given, where options A and B offer water, while C offers higher ground and good concealment but it is stated we 'We wouldn't have immediate access to water'.

I vote B.

Vernydar

Learned
Vernydar wrote:

Well, we might find water in the hills and we might not. Saying 'let's find a spring in the hills nearby' is the same as saying 'let's find a position we can fortify further along the coast'. Surely we need to go on the information we are given, where options A and B offer water, while C offers higher ground and good concealment but it is stated we 'We wouldn't have immediate access to water'.

I vote B.

I think the "We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish" part refers to the lake. It specifically talks of the shore the line before. But there could be springs in the hills. We found some springs before, I think we can find others.

Of course if we choose B we will go farther left, but there is no guarantee it will be a good position. We simply do not know. We may find enemies, hostile tribes or any other kind of dangers. Frankly after what has happened to us, I think a good defense is a priority.

Urist McLurker

Learned
Vernydar wrote:

I vote B.

I think the "We wouldn't have immediate access to water and fish" part refers to the lake. It specifically talks of the shore the line before. But there could be springs in the hills. We found some springs before, I think we can find others.

Of course if we choose B we will go farther left, but there is no guarantee it will be a good position. We simply do not know. We may find enemies, hostile tribes or any other kind of dangers. Frankly after what has happened to us, I think a good defense is a priority.

The enemy we know is better than risking an enemy we know nothing about?
I feel as if no where is safe-safe in the first year(arbitrary number) of settling anywhere so it matters little, but if the enemy tribe can find us, I think it'll be done within the time it takes us to safe, whenever that might be.

Vernydar

Learned
The enemy we know is better than risking an enemy we know nothing about?
I feel as if no where is safe-safe in the first year(arbitrary number) of settling anywhere so it matters little, but if the enemy tribe can find us, I think it'll be done within the time it takes us to safe, whenever that might be.

That is not the entire point. Here there is an enemy, true. But we can be on higher ground. A defensive position. Going left, maybe we will find an enemy, maybe not. But it says we would still be on the shore.
I do not want to be on the shore. It's too risky. I think higher grounds is much better

Urist McLurker

Learned
That is not the entire point. Here there is an enemy, true. But we can be on higher ground. A defensive position. Going left, maybe we will find an enemy, maybe not. But it says we would still be on the shore.
I do not want to be on the shore. It's too risky. I think higher grounds is much better
I'm worried about being on the high ground, the high ground is much more defensible, sure, but only when we're really ready to defend it. I doubt we have enough spears to rain them down on attackers, we've lost our ability to make more of them(I'm assuming, without the obsidian), it makes expanding difficult, and I would expect it's easier to find our tribe when we're on a hill.

All choices of course have worries, as well as advantages long term and short term, but we're closer to the barbarian tribe than ever right? Getting up on a hill, spending a while getting our tribe together and lighting fires for the fire spirits is going to be a beacon to them.
Being on the shore would let us get our tribe working again faster and getting back on our feet is going to be slower on the hill.
I'm still not sure whether or not we should stay here, or leave. But I'd rather risk the unknown at the moment.

oscar

Arcane
A. Grow a pair. Why do you think we invested in our obsidian weaponry and large militia? Precisely so we could take the good spots. Why did we bother learning the ways of raft-making and fishing to go cowering in some hills? Why do you feel this need to act like a tribe of whimpering scavengers, who would take a purposely inferior spot to avoid getting their ass kicked?

Besides in the long run, we're more secure here. The greater population growth this spot allows (fresh water, fertile soil, fish) means we will be able to field more warriors when the day that we need to fight does come.

ScubaV

Prophet
C

I didn't like coming this far and I like going farther even less.

A

oscar

Arcane
C

I didn't like coming this far and I like going farther even less.

But C is just a really shitty version of our old spot.

Note people that the scout isn't even saying it's a good spot for defensive fighting. He's saying it's a good spot for hiding. Hiding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom