Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Older Divinity games. Are they good?

Just how bad are the voices?
Will I end up throwing my speakers against windows, if I listen them?
You will end up tying lead weights to the end of your speakers and flinging them into the nearest river. You're stuck with this guy for the entire game (skip to 1:20):

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Just how bad are the voices?
Will I end up throwing my speakers against windows, if I listen them?
You will end up tying lead weights to the end of your speakers and flinging them into the nearest river. You're stuck with this guy for the entire game (skip to 1:20):

Holy shit.
That's hilarious at first, but I imagine that I would end up wishing to kill that guy:lol:

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I thought Divinity 2 writing and voice acting was hilariously bad. Not that the action was great either. But for some reason still liked the game overall. :o

nikolokolus

Arcane
I like DD a lot when I played it on release - or at the very least it exceeded my expectations based on how stupid I thought the title was. BD was god-awful and I never got more than an hour into it, DD2 is in this weird place. I kind of like the first map and the direction the story was going and then I got to the second map with all the water and I started liking it less. By the time I got to the island with the tower my enthusiasm for the gameplay was gone and the story had done nothing to compel me to keep going. I should probably reinstall it and give it another go, but it's been a year or two.

Long story short: D:OS is the crown jewel for sure, but their other games might appeal to you, especially if you're into the humor and the lore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Biggest problem with DivDiv is they aped Diablo too much in that the dungeons were overly long and tedious. They just put in a thousand monsters to slaughter because... Blizzard. It isn't fun or challenging, just annoying. And, unfortunately, every major dungeon is like that.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
So I have been playing bit of Divinity: orginal Sin as well As the dragon commander and I have discovered that I like them very much.

I like it them, so much that I got interested in Divinity divine and other older games, but I have to ask you gentlemen that are they worth of
:takemymoney:

Or are they
:keepmymoney:
yes they are

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The voice acting is not that bad, remenbers me of Warcraft 2 orcs... I can take that in campy kind of way.

Go for Prince of Qin for bad VA:

doggfookker

Educated
Divine Divinity is worth playing. It's a solid game overall. I never played the shitty ending everyone talks about--my disc freaked out over the preceding cinematic and I wasn't able to get further. Overall it's kind of like Ultima VII remade as a Diablo II mod. Also, despite the diablo-ish combat, it's probably the most like Original Sin in tone and setting and exploration.

Beyond Divinity I wanted to like but was underwhelmed at every turn. Got to the Imp Village, the part where everyone says the game opens up and gets better, and was not impressed. I didn't play after that.

Divinity 2 I like a lot. The combat is lame and shitty and easy to cheese, and the game is uneven as hell, but it has a certain sincerity and charm that I can't resist. Parts of it are shit, sure, and the ideas, while good, are never really developed like they should be. But fuck it, I like that shit. It is a solid game. Maybe even one of my faves from the past few years.

At least play DivDiv. Fuck the haters who complain about the combat. It was better than the shit in Arcanum and its various dungeons full of monsters, and fuckheads love that shit. In DivDiv the combats over pretty quick and usually ain't too frustrating, and for the vast majority of the game it isn't even a problem.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Divinity 1 was game which was bitten and spitted out after tutorial dungeon only to be reinstalled years latter and it was best Diablo Clone with great open world exploration and interesting quests and story; funny thing the same happened to DS; it was junk after the release only to be:incline: ed with Dragon Knight Saga release and sequel DLC which gave it proper conclusion. Dragon Comander is fun when played for Biowhore part and with autoresolve and DOS was both fun and :incline: from the tutorial part Commissar has played. It proves that game doesn't have to be Grim Dark (although it's not always as lighthearted some Codexers think) to be GOOD.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Divine Divinity was a brilliant game, really hooked me.
Divinity 2 - The Dragon Knight Saga (includes Flames of Vengeance) was one of the funniest games ever, definitely worth playing (if only for the wacky humour).

Haven't played Beyond yet, keen at some stage - especially after this INCLINE mountain of a molehill.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like DD a lot when I played it on release - or at the very least it exceeded my expectations based on how stupid I thought the title was. BD was god-awful and I never got more than an hour into it, DD2 is in this weird place. I kind of like the first map and the direction the story was going and then I got to the second map with all the water and I started liking it less. By the time I got to the island with the tower my enthusiasm for the gameplay was gone and the story had done nothing to compel me to keep going. I should probably reinstall it and give it another go, but it's been a year or two.

Long story short: D:OS is the crown jewel for sure, but their other games might appeal to you, especially if you're into the humor and the lore.
The best part of that game is the (large) expansion, where you don't use (can't) dragon form because you're trapped in a city until the end sequence.

The worst part is some rather finicky platforming depending on absurd timing. Learn to love quicksave to deal with 100ms windows of time. Oh and loot is level scaled except on exactly one convoluted quest, and it's stlll random there
:rage:

Last edited:

pavis

Educated
Divine Divinity is a good game except for the endgame (like Scrooge said), which is boring and repetitive : no quests and a bunch of monsters to kill in a boring dungeon

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah. That ending to Divinity was pretty bad.

They could however fix that, by doing a D:OS mod of Divinity.....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Hey everyone, this guy is a moron and hes giving free money."

Actually, that was stupid and shit writing. BIO did it better in DA.

Anyways, my evil unwanted thoughts:

Divine Divinity - I originally loathed this game when I first played it. I tried it again last eyar and I actually finished and had fun with it. The game has flawsbut has some really good stuff too. 7.5/10

Beyond Divinity - Underrated comapred to its predcessor. Nice concept with some fun stuff. 7/10

Divine Divinity 2 - Another solid game. Haven't played expansion though. 7.5/10

Machocruz

Arcane
The world of Divine Divinity feels authentic, lived in. Few fantasy games have accomplished this. Very transporting.

But beware of making a hybrid build. I tried a fighter-mage spec that I had to respec (via a mod) about halfway through. I wound up with neither enough CON to survive a lot of melee, nor enough INT to keep casting Restoration or to have a force field that could take more than 3 hits, and potion availability has limitations in this game. It was really rough when I got caught up in on a quest where you get jailed and the only escape route is through a maze-like dungeon full of mobs. I had to run around, trial and error trying to find the exit because I couldn't deal with them (and most of the dungeon is optional, so it's easy to wind up on a fruitless path trying to find the exit, while getting gangbanged by archers, poison, and melee )

The skill system is open, but it seems stats require specialization.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"The world of Divine Divinity feels authentic, lived in."

No.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Divine Divinity had one of the funniest, most unexpected moments I've had in 20 years of computer gaming in one of the quests:

The mystery of who's been pissing in the sacramental wine

I never finished it though. I seem to remember having a tough time with random encounters until I looked up online what was the most efficient damage spell, which turned out to be Spikes or something like that.

Divine Divinity is like the ultimate anti-Codex game. If you dissect it and carefully analyze its systems, there are so many things elitist snobs monocled gentlemen can take issue with, but if you just play it, it's a hell of a lot of fun. Sort of the exact opposite of Arcanum, Morrowind, Bloodlines, etc. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom