Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pretty much, yes. RWTP presupposes not having queues, as pause is used in order to react to new threats and challenges, and queues are basically "you can predict what's going to happen and nothing is threatening you".
Go play Total War and tell me this again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pretty much, yes. RWTP presupposes not having queues, as pause is used in order to react to new threats and challenges, and queues are basically "you can predict what's going to happen and nothing is threatening you".

wat?

Anyway, the funny thing is that it looks like the main reason lots of these people want queues is to make it easier to chain attacks without accidentally wasting unnecessary time in between them. In other words, their queue will probably never have more than two things in it.

Thing is, PoE's optional ATB meter feature already gives you this. You'll always know exactly when you can bring in your next attack. Or maybe the game can even let you implicitly "queue" one single attack during the recovery time of the previous one. The IE games basically already did this if you chose to do something during the downtime of your six second round.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
wat?

Anyway, the funny thing is that it looks like the main reason lots of these people want queues is to make it easier to chain attacks without accidentally wasting unnecessary time in between them. In other words, their queue will probably never have more than two things in it.

Thing is, PoE's optional ATB meter feature already gives you this. You'll always know exactly when you can bring in your next attack. Or maybe the game can even let you implicitly "queue" one single attack during the recovery time of the previous one. The IE games basically already did this if you chose to do something during the downtime of your six second round.
Total war is rtwp and has queued actions

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
"we've shown barbarians and wizards"
Where?

The Aumaua are looking a bit Avatar (the Cameron film), from the screenshots and the low quality I'm having to watch these videos in. Not a huge fan, which is a shame because I do like water/coastal races

Edit:

Youtube video of Day 2.

At 13:40, is that use of the in game slow-mo/speed-up system?

Last edited:

Raggg

Novice

wat?

Probably it won't be very useful to queue more than 2 or 3 actions at a time. It's still a nice feature to have so I can say, order my dude to move to a position and cast a single target nuke, or cast 2 buffs or a nuke, or what have you. Let's be honest here, the latest gameplay video showcases fighting freakin' Giant Beetles. This is not all that complex or dynamic and I highly doubt the beetles are going to find some ingenious way of punishing me because I queued up a couple attacks.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
Let's be honest here, the latest gameplay video showcases fighting freakin' Giant Beetles. This is not all that complex or dynamic and I highly doubt the beetles are going to find some ingenious way of punishing me because I queued up a couple attacks.

Eorian beetles have won two nobel prizes and one macarthur man. They also all wear Mensa t-shirts.

imweasel

The IE games had an action queue, but only for one action. Movement and standard attacks always cancelled current actions and also emptied the queue IIRC.

That said, there isn't anything wrong with with raising the limit of the action queue by a small number. Shift + clicking to queue actions isn't a necessary feature, but it is nice to have.

Liston

Augur
I can't understand what people have against action queueing, I have never heard that somebody complained about it in Aurora engine.

I don't like that you have only 4 companions at level 5 which should be a middle of the game. I can understand that they want to gradually increase difficulty and complexity but I hate it when I can't build my party from the early game. Beside that and some minor grievances I really like what I'm seeing.

Duraframe300

Arcane
10593087_10152183154151370_1287056496913002179_n.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
I love Adam to death, I would fight six.. no, seven giant beetles for him... but this moment needs to be sweetly savored.
Do you guys play and test games the other teams are working on at Obsidian?

Can you fire it up and show him how it's done?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom