Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity [BETA RELEASED, GO TO THE NEW THREAD]

Random

Arcane
Patron
Magic items should be in the DMG, NOT in the players handbook, how is that absurd?

What is absurd is that you have to buy three separate books to run Dungeons and Dragons or any other RPG that copies its business model. :keepmyjewgold:

FeelTheRads

Arcane
tuluse Arguing with FTR about Pillars of Eternity is usually a pointless exercise.

I can't wait for the game to come out. After he plays it seven times, he'll give us a great LP where he tells us how much he hated every minute. :smug:

Well, that came out of nowhere. You know, such jokes work better when you do them about people who actually do that.

But this post surely was not as useless as explaining how Fallout gives you direction but BG2 fails to do that because TOO MUCH CONTENT.

Or we can leave it at "I like big cities and you like villages".

P.S. :lol: at Grunker brofisting that. Sup, bro, how's your butt?

Monty

Arcane
Josh said:
grognards ftw
Those crazy 'nards, always believing ridiculous things.

Daily Schedule: J.E. Sawyer

9am - 6pm: Design balanced RPG systems
6pm - 8pm: Pnp sessions with colleagues
8pm - 10pm: Make fun of 'grognards' online
10pm: Curl up in bed with favourite 'guilty pleasure', The Book of Elves

Lhynn

Arcane
Magic items should be in the DMG, NOT in the players handbook, how is that absurd?

What is absurd is that you have to buy three separate books to run Dungeons and Dragons or any other RPG that copies its business model. :keepmyjewgold:
You only need players handbook to run a smooth campaign, DMG is a book that is meant for the DM eyes only, its full of ideas, but more importantly the degenerate players cannot wield it as a weapon as they can with the PHB.

Koschey

Arcane
Personally I can appreciate the thought behind magic items being in a DM specific book (no magic mart, magic items aren't part of any planned character build, magic items are mysterious), but in praxis it just falls flat most of the time. Most players will at some point in time DM, at least in my vicinity where there are few players, so they'll get to read it anyway. And if that is not the case, as long as you can trust your players not to read an easily accessible DM-only book, you can just as well make it a DM-only section in a larger book.

Lhynn

Arcane
Personally I can appreciate the thought behind magic items being in a DM specific book (no magic mart, magic items aren't part of any planned character build, magic items are mysterious), but in praxis it just falls flat most of the time. Most players will at some point in time DM, at least in my vicinity where there are few players, so they'll get to read it anyway. And if that is not the case, as long as you can trust your players not to read an easily accessible DM-only book, you can just as well make it a DM-only section in a larger book.
Everything in the PHB is pretty much set in stone, the DM can house rule it yes, but not on the fly or players wont feel it as something fair.
Plus DMG has always had good content for its value, not a must have but a really really useful read. Its not essential and a pain to carry around.

Fucking codex mang :rpgcodex: cannot into pnp logic.

Lhynn

Arcane
To be honest, the DMG hasn't been a very good book (to read) since 2nd edition, the 3E+ counterparts have been quite meh.
To be honest D&D hasnt been a very good game (to play) since 2nd edition. The 3E+ counterparts have been quite shit.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I'll start taking you seriously the day you express a shimmer of doubt on a subject. Or have conflicting opinions about something. Most sensible people in this thread - hell, on the Codex - are perfectly capable of more nuance than all-out dismissal or approval. Until you gain such capability, I'm sure everyone is fine with you being the grognard version of Skyway.

My butt is only hurt when people I disagree with people I actually respect. Like Darth Roxor, or Blaine. They can make me butthurt aplenty. You want that level of rage out of me, you're going to have to step up.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I asked Josh about group-based actions during Scripted Interactions

Sensuki said:
I have a question regarding Scripted Interactions. Is the PC always the character who "interacts" with the world through Scripted Interactions, or does it work for whichever character you have selected ? Also for group actions such as "Climb a cliff", "Swim through an underground tunnel" and "Jump over a Bridge", does the one character's check count as a pass for the whole party, or is each individual character's attribute or skill checked individually?

rope kid said:
It depends on the interaction. Sometimes it's a single character, other times it's the group and individual members of the party can become injured by being below the threshold. "Injury" in this case means a penalty that lasts until the next time you rest: twisted ankle, swollen eye, etc. Similar to the Dragon Age injuries but less... long-term-sounding.

Pretty cool.

Johannes

Arcane
I asked Josh about group-based actions during Scripted Interactions

Sensuki said:
I have a question regarding Scripted Interactions. Is the PC always the character who "interacts" with the world through Scripted Interactions, or does it work for whichever character you have selected ? Also for group actions such as "Climb a cliff", "Swim through an underground tunnel" and "Jump over a Bridge", does the one character's check count as a pass for the whole party, or is each individual character's attribute or skill checked individually?

rope kid said:
It depends on the interaction. Sometimes it's a single character, other times it's the group and individual members of the party can become injured by being below the threshold. "Injury" in this case means a penalty that lasts until the next time you rest: twisted ankle, swollen eye, etc. Similar to the Dragon Age injuries but less... long-term-sounding.

Pretty cool.
Hmm, can you get swollen eyes and twisted ankles from combat wounds too?

I'll start taking you seriously the day you express a shimmer of doubt on a subject. Or have conflicting opinions about something. Most sensible people in this thread - hell, on the Codex - are perfectly capable of more nuance than all-out dismissal or approval. Until you gain such capability, I'm sure everyone is fine with you being the grognard version of Skyway.

My butt is only hurt when people I disagree with people I actually respect. Like Darth Roxor, or Blaine. They can make me butthurt aplenty. You want that level of rage out of me, you're going to have to step up.

I don't have a clear recollection of FTR's posting style in this thread or elsewhere, but at least in the latest discussion Infinitron's views and arguments were infinitely more retarded. FTR was making questions that Infi wouldn't or couldn't address.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FTR was making questions that Infi wouldn't or couldn't address.

:hmmm:

In the Pillars of Eternity thread, FeelTheRads does not "make questions", he only bitches, and bitches, and bitches.

And it's that emotional investment in a game that he claims to utterly despise that leads me to believe he's going to be playing it, a lot.

But enough about this. It's getting boring.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66212-some-questions-about-undeath-in-poe/?p=1451318

J.E. Sawyer said:
Wealthy people in this world will try all sorts of things to extend their own lives or try to place their soul in someone else's body. Because animancy is highly experimental, many animancers believe the next revolution in animancy is just around the corner. All they need are wealthy patrons to fund their research. And all the wealthy patrons want to hear is how perfectly everything is going to work out for them.

Many Dyrwoodans wish the state would regulate (or ban) animancy as most other nations do, but there is enough pressure from powerful/moneyed people that even wild research continues with little oversight.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/66131-stealth-and-combat/?p=1451320

J.E. Sawyer said:
The scouting state ends when the party enters combat, i.e. when a party member is being targeted by a hostile character. Using scouting to set up ambushes is extremely valuable even if you don't get right up in the eyeballs of enemies before you attack them. There are some practical gameplay limitations on how many traps you can put down, but scouting also allows you to do that, which can be very valuable for softening up a horde of attackers.

One of the rogue's Sneak Attack conditions is "within the first two seconds of combat". It might not sound like much, but in most cases it's good for at least one really nasty shot, melee or ranged. If that first attack is paired with one of the rogue's Affliction attacks like Blinding Strike or Crippling Strike, they can immediately chain that into a series of Sneak Attacks.

That's right, stealth is now called a "scouting state". Problem, VotS? :smug:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Maimed said:
A character who hits 0 Health becomes Maimed, if permadeath is deactivated. They immediately fall unconscious and can't get back up until the end of combat.
Description: When combat ends, a maimed character stands up with 1 Health and will regain all of their Stamina as normal. Until they next rest, they suffer very bad penalties to their accuracy and all defenses. If they get hit again and are reduced to 0 Health, they will die. Maimed characters can walk around like normal and can participate in combat, but they are weak and vulnerable combatants who are likely to drop in a single hit.

I don't that word means what they think it means... either that or they use the word very loosely.
dictionary.com said:
maim [meym]
verb (used with object)
to deprive of the use of some part of the body by wounding or the like; cripple

noun (Obsolete)
a physical injury, especially a loss of a limb.
I know complaining about unrealistic health/injury mechanics in a game that uses HP is missing the point (pun intended), but I think "crippled" would have been a better word. "Maimed" generally conjures up "severed limb".

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't that word means what they think it means... either that or they use the word very loosely.

I know complaining about unrealistic health/injury mechanics in a game that uses HP is missing the point (pun intended), but I think "crippled" would have been a better word. "Maimed" generally conjures up "severed limb".
Merriam-Webster said:
Full Definition of MAIM
transitive verb
: to commit the felony of mayhem upon
: to mutilate, disfigure, or wound seriously

While cripple conjures images of kids with polio.

Snozgobler

Educated
Personally I always thought of the word as meaning "permanently injured" or "disfigured", the most common use of the word I've come across in England at least is "Mained by a [insert wild animal here]", and that doesn't normally involve losing limbs. I don't know what the use of the word is like in the USA, but for me, maimed would be fine.

What I understand when they say "Maimed characters can walk around like normal and can participate in combat, but they are weak and vulnerable combatants who are likely to drop in a single hit." is that they can fight, and the will be included in any fights you enter, but doing so is a really bad idea as their damage and defences will be reduced and they will fall really easily if an enemy turns on them.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Don't worry, sneak attacks have been BALANCED to prevent stunlocking exploits:

J.E. Sawyer said:
I have yet to see any characters stunlocked by standard damage-dealing attacks (i.e. by attacks other than those that cause the Prone, Paralyzed, Petrified, etc. Afflictions). Most attacks that have high Interrupt ratings also have slow attack rates. What a rogue can do is put an enemy in a variety of states that ensure Sneak Attack is continuously valid against them.

Hormalakh

Magister
you're forgetting that sawyer changed the maim rules. if you die while being maimed, you die. even on easy.

It's been a long time since we've talked about our resting system and it's changed in the past few months. It's largely the same overall, but key mechanics have changed in important ways.

* The Stamina/Health mechanics still work as they have previously. The one exception is how Maimed works on non-Expert settings. Maimed is now only a stop-gap before death. I.e., even on ordinary difficulty settings, any character can die if they are currently Maimed and lose their remaining Health. As before, Maimed characters have terrible penalties to their Accuracy and all defenses but move at full speed. Using a Maimed character in combat is asking for them to get killed. The reason for this change was to prevent the use of Maimed characters as immortal trap-sniffers or recipients of an enemy's hard first volley.

* We still restrict where you can rest (as in the IE games), but resting does not have to be performed at very specific spots in the world (there are still a few camps where you can rest anytime, for free). Instead, each time the party rests in the middle of nowhere, they consume 1 unit of Camp Supplies. Based on your difficulty settings, the party can carry a maximum number of Camp Supplies (currently ranging from 6 to 2). The supplies are a single item type and can be purchased from vendors (also rarely can be found in the world). The supplies represent a party count, like wealth, and are represented by a number in the inventory and on the rest button in the main UI. To rest, all you need to do is press the rest button. The game checks to make sure it's okay to camp in that location at that time and will give you the option to access your Stash or go directly into rest.

* You can also rest at inns and your house (once you acquire it). Based on the room you select at the inn, you will gain temporary bonuses that generally correlate to the expense of the room. I.e., more expensive rooms grant larger or more bonuses. These bonuses last for a specific number of rests following your stay at the inn. Only a single resting bonus can be active at a time, so you can't just chain-sleep for a collection of bonuses. If you sleep at your house, you select from the bonuses you've unlocked from your upgrades. These tend to be less varied than those found at inns and you have to pay for the upgrades upfront, but after that it's effectively a free bonus of one specific type that lasts for a number of rests.

deuxhero

Arcane
I felt the way Co8's moathouse went into defensive positions if you made a raid and left was a nice obstacle to such behavior without feeling artificial in the slightest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom