Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
I guess this kills the chances of getting a D&D 5E Obsidian game?
That's rather disappointing.

Don Peste

Arcane
From the official rulebook:

P9lUiSP0IedB

RxsiLLel90fS

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
That's actually a smart move for them to do a tablet game. Low overhead, I doubt it will even have that large of a team. And that is a market they have not been in before.

Now get on my SCI-FI Kickstarter Obsidian, and all will be well.

Alchemist

Arcane
I have zero interest in a card game - but this will probably be pretty quick for them to develop. They appear to be re-using a lot of artwork that Paizo already has and coding a card game that already exists requires little game design work. So it's mostly a programming task. Hopefully this lets them get this out the door quickly and move on to a real CRPG soon enough. This gives them time to get PoE out the door first.

the art style in that card game is atrocious. Looks like Weaboo shit. But I think Obsidian WILL make some real pathfinder CRPG eventually and I would predict that to be very good; basically getting AD&D 3.5 modules in an upgraded infinity engine. So I think this partnership is long term incline, maybe even major incline.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So is this going to kind of be like duels of the planeswalkers shandalar game? Basically you run around and have card battles and win or lose cards.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Erm, nope, not at all.
It's basically a very simple RPG system without a gamemaster.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
So is this going to kind of be like duels of the planeswalkers shandalar game? Basically you run around and have card battles and win or lose cards.

Nah, it's your pretty basic adventure board game. Each player cpmtrols a basic character, "explores" encounters n' shit from a deck, finds monsters, gets loot, completes objectives. All of it built on familiar shit from assorted adventure paths, each path having its own expansion deck.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
the art style in that card game is atrocious. Looks like Weaboo shit. But I think Obsidian WILL make some real pathfinder CRPG eventually and I would predict that to be very good; basically getting AD&D 3.5 modules in an upgraded infinity engine. So I think this partnership is long term incline, maybe even major incline.

ALL Pathfinder art is ATROCIOUS. I have nothing good to say about any of it. Fortunately, the art matters little.

ColCol

Arcane
I could live the with card game....if it was on something besides a goddamn tablet.

handup

Educated
I do not think any of them are better alternatives. In fact, I don't even think they're alternatives. I like Castles & Crusades actually, Fantasy Craft I'm pretty meh on, but neither of them have the complexity, mix & match and customization that Pathfinder has, especially when you consider that we use 3.5 as well and just port it to Pathfinder (which takes like half an hour for a prestige class for instance so it's pretty fucking easy).
Complexity and customization? For every one decent choice, there are 4 that suck. That's bloat, not complexity, if you ask me. Pathfinder embodies feature creep, especially once you take into account the supposed backwards compatibility with 3.5. I also feel you are being too dismissive of Fantasy Craft. To me it's like an all-around update to 3rd edition where every class is useful at what it does, something that pathfinder should've been.

Yeah, one battle. When my crew escaped from Ravenscar (see the LP in my sig), they won through one important fight by virtue of a well-timed Colour Spray. After that, the wizard's Daze was very much less worthy than the barbarian's mauling of every opponent.
In my experience this only happens when the wizard is either a newbie or holding back to give the martials a chance in the spotlight. Yes, the wizards do eventually run out of spells, it's part of their design but both 3rd and pathfinder edition give them way too many spells and it doesn't happen nearly as often as it should. In fact, I find that it's more often that the barbarian runs out of HP at lower levels, though that might have something to do with my players being dicks with each other.
[quote
Only now, Specialization doesn't prohibit spells of opposed school,

Actually, they do. We're using the variant rules for Sin Magic.[/quote]
Good for you, most dms however may not be as system-savy as you though. Most people use (and expect to be used) the core rules. It's great that pathfinder gives good dms the chance to tinker the system to remove its annoyances but that should not be necessary to enjoy the game. And frankly, if I just try to get a bunch of guys fast to start a campaign without any houserules or variant rules I won't enjoy the game. Rule 0 is system neutral.

There's also the fact that people see rules in the srd and assume that it is allowed. Not once did I receive a Kitsune ninja and had to explain that no it's not that kind of campaign. (I know some DMs take a fantasy kitchen soup approach to worldbuilding. I'm not one of them)

Pathfinder does not look like a full-fleged RPG to me. It just looks like an amateur's homebrew of 3.5 and if I'm going to use homebrew I might as well use mine.

Edit: Pretty cool homebrew btw, just read it.

Ha ha ha, after a South Park Paper Mario clone, a World of Tank clone, now a Hearthstone clone with a pseudo-RPG gimmick, it's now two years that Obsidian never fails to deliver. Ok, they have a Icewindale remake in the works. But Icewindale sucked and the overall balance is shitty. So long MOTB and New Vegas. Coming soon Obsidian's Sonic reboot.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if doing a CRPG might be dependent on how successful the card game will be. That'd be stupid of course, but publishers are stupid after all.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I wonder if doing a CRPG might be dependent on how successful the card game will be. That'd be stupid of course, but publishers are stupid after all.

We don't even know if a crpg isn't already in early pre-production. Considering the paizo CEO using words like *will* and *yet* repeadetly in relation to a crpg it stands very much to reason that *something* about it is being worked on.

Otherwise its really weird that she would be as definitive about it as she is.

Maybe they're preparing a kickstarter for it.

Rake

Arcane

We don't even know if a crpg isn't already in early pre-production. Considering the paizo CEO using words like *will* and *yet* repeadetly in relation to a crpg it stands very much to reason that *something* about it is being worked on.

The "yet" thing could mean 2 years down the road. As in "they want to make it but we'll see how it goes"

Duraframe300

Arcane

The "yet" thing could mean 2 years down the road. As in "they want to make it but we'll see how it goes"

If it was only the yet thing yes. If it was only the will thing. Yes.

Except its now multiple times.

+ She activly dismissed the card game as being super important.

The card game app was easier for them to get up running fast.

Is her reason as to why the card game is out first.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Publishers say "there will be game X" and then cancel it and say "sorry, there won't be game X after all" all the time. "Will be" means "might be", i.e. we're considering it.

I actually hope it's a Kickstarter, because otherwise they'll have no obligation not to cancel it.

handup

Educated
Pathfinder does not look like a full-fleged RPG to me.
Dude what
Ok, poor choice of words.

What I meant to say is that about 80% of the core rules are copy-pasted from the srd, of the features I consider a large percentage needless bloat that no one in their right minds would use and then there are features that I simply disagree with (some of which I've mentioned in that post). Add all that together and I kinda hesitate to find much merit in it. *shrug*

Anyway, I was just responding to Grunker's "if you like D&D, there's nothing better than Pathfinder" which I vehemently disagree with. I don't mean to discredit Pathfinder. Just saying that there are better systems out there that do what Pathfinder tries to do way better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom