Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

likaq

Arcane
Yet another banal shit boring high / heroic fantasy?
My interest in this game = 0.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
meh
Sounds like a plan for a slamdunk on the Eternity hype. Feargus must be happy.

Personally I've got no taste for generic fantasy crap in the broken 3.5 system. I'm even wary about Eternity, except for the setting / soul thing which might turn out interesting.

If it was 5e though, it would at least have novelty and a much less bloated system going for it.

Avellion

Erudite
Hmmm. Sounds interesting.

Dont try to chew more than you can bite.

I'm assuming you picked this one up from Volourn.
Maybe, dunno where I picked it up tbh.
With Obsidians ability to subvert expectations. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Pathfinder campaign book produced by Obsidian for the setting.
Well that would be interesting to see how it would turn out. So far, I have enjoyed Obsidian's take on others universes and seeing them tackle the Pathfinder setting would be interesting to see.

himmy

Arcane
While I, personally, would also like to see Obsidian do something sci-fi/steampunk/sharkcore, I really don't get how people equate a standard fantasy setting with a boring game. Sure, it's easier for a game to be memorable if the setting is not-your-typical-fantasy gruel (see Morrowind), but games like Gothic drew their appeal exactly from the fact that they were as close to the central European fantasy recipe, losing said appeal (among other reasons) when they strained from the formula, in Risen 1 and especially Risen 2.

If the game is done well, it will be entertaining even with a sub-par or forgettable setting (see, for the most part, the Divinity series) and this is Obsidian, there's plenty of other things to be worried about.

likaq

Arcane
Yet another banal shit boring high / heroic fantasy?
Ruleset/Setting does not always equal bsb. See MotB for example. Capable writers may create a great story in the most boring, cliched setting.

I'm settingfag, setting is the most important part of crpgs for me.
So even if gameplay is good ( unlikely ) and story / C&C are good ( maybe ) i have no interest in this game because of setting.
MotB was pretty mediocre.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really don't get how people equate a standard fantasy setting with a boring game.
It's just not an inspiring choice. Since we know nothing else about this (possible) game at this time, there's nothing whatsoever to be excited about.

"Hey! I got a great idea for a game! Let's make something in a completely schlock, generic, overdone fantasy setting!" Not enough to get me out of bed, even if it is Obsidian.

Is it possible that the game will be God? Sure. But choosing a dull setting isn't an auspicious start. Practically anything else would be more interesting.

Explorerbc

Arcane
but games like Gothic drew their appeal exactly from the fact that they were as close to the central European fantasy recipe, losing said appeal (among other reasons) when they strained from the formula, in Risen 1 and especially Risen 2.

Well, my first PB game was Risen, and it was the setting that drew my attention. It doesn't really matter that much, Gothic games are also great and have an interesting setting, but I am willing to go through Risen 2, even if it is as shitty as they say, just for the Pirate theme and world.

m_s0

Arcane
But....but there were rumors about sci-fy rpg.....:(
:killit:
Wishful thinking isn't rumours. I'd love a good sf crpg as well.

Let's at least hope the art style won't be based on this look (assuming this is going to be a crpg):
6yNVWGz.jpg

Leave that shit to the Japanese.

WalkinDude

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014
You guys are acting as though Obsidian doesn't always have at least 3 different projects going on. I feel as though about half of them get cancelled but yeah there is no way they would put their whole team to work on PoE when there's definitely more than 30 people working there.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's just not an inspiring choice. Since we know nothing else about this (possible) game at this time, there's nothing whatsoever to be excited about.

"Hey! I got a great idea for a game! Let's make something in a completely schlock, generic, overdone fantasy setting!" Not enough to get me out of bed, even if it is Obsidian.

Is it possible that the game will be God? Sure. But choosing a dull setting isn't an auspicious start. Practically anything else would be more interesting.

That's about it.

I can't find the draw to this thing.

I know nothing of the game, not even if it is real or some sort of goof, and I'm already bored.

deuxhero

Arcane
Let's at least hope the art style won't be based on this look (assuming this is going to be a crpg):

Even as dull as the PF fans are, they don't tend to be fans of the artwork for the the iconics

The stuff they hire Eric Belisle to draw is actually pretty good... as long as it isn't female (a lot of otherwise good artist suck at drawing women for some reason).
9a1tax.jpg

Reasonable weapons, armor, clothing that, while very "high class" looks practical.

deuxhero

Arcane
I really hope it is turn based and modable enough to implement DSP's stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom