Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FFS It has a longaxe as a 'new weapon type'. That alone is enough to throw it in the garabge pile.

Not to mention it just seems a way to spam more abilities and make characters even uber.

FUCK OFF.

It's not better. It's just another 'options book' like anything else.

skyst

Augur
So does Pathfinder do anything interesting fluff-wise compared to your standard old DnD? I skimmed through inner sea guide and it looked like Faerun 2.0

I've been DMing almost exclusively Pathfinder for a few years. It's not a perfect system but is accessible enough for the wives and girlfriends in my groups while staying fun for the 15 year RPG vets.

Fluff-wise, there is a good amount of really interesting hooks buried in the books and WIKI pages which I like to use for my homebrew campaigns. They're seldom more than a few paragraphs of lore, but it's all there for the taking. There's always some neat weird fiction details to pull out between the pages of fantasy trope.

The published Adventure Paths are okay, though they seem to generally appeal to the lowest common denominator. There are a few notable exceptions which stay away from orcs and goblins: Carrion Crown http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Carrion_Crown, which has more of a classical horror than fantasy feel, is one of the best and has some involves some solid CoC-style investigation which pays off during a trial scene in the second book. The current path, Iron Gods http://paizo.com/pathfinder/adventurePath/ironGods, deals with a region where a spacecraft crashed thousands of years ago and the long dormant ship AI has awakened and is managing to make itself a god. The Iron Gods path also saw the release of a Technology Guide http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Technology_Guide which has rules for all sorts of science-fiction gear. I'm currently using the Tech Guide for a Fallout 2 inspired campaign.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"What do you have against Pathfinder Volourn?"

\Nothing until this thread.

Seriously, they're trying to pass off a 'longaxe' as a new dwarven weapon type. FUCK OFF. It's called a great axe. HOLY FUCK. Or dwarven war axe. FFS

Amasius

Augur

Seriously, they're trying to pass off a 'longaxe' as a new dwarven weapon type. FUCK OFF. It's called a great axe. HOLY FUCK. Or dwarven war axe. FFS
But "Longaxe" for dwarves makes perfectly sense! :lol:

skyst

Augur

But "Longaxe" for dwarves makes perfectly sense! :lol:

I can't believe I'm bothering to respond to this, but...

Battleaxe is a martial 1 handed weapon, it deals 1d8 damage.
Dwarven Waraxe is an exotic 1 handed weapon, it deals 1d10 damage - extra damage but more difficult to use than a battleaxe.
Greataxe is a martial 2 handed weapon, it deals 1d12 damage.
Dwarven Longaxe is an exotic 2 handed weapon with reach, it deals 1d12 damage - an extra ability but more difficult to use than a greataxe.

Having a variety of weapons to choose from is generally a good thing, especially considering class features like a Fighter's Weapon Training: Starting at 5th level, a fighter can select one group of weapons, as noted below. Whenever he attacks with a weapon from this group, he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls.

For those lacking imagination, here's your greataxe:
daemonslayer.jpg
stock-photo-medieval-knight-in-the-field-with-an-axe-52476772.jpg

And here's your longaxe:
RPR60004_500.jpeg

Greataxe.jpg

r00fles

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Battleaxe is a martial 1 handed weapon, it deals 1d8 damage.
Dwarven Waraxe is an exotic 1 handed weapon, it deals 1d10 damage - extra damage but more difficult to use than a battleaxe.
Greataxe is a martial 2 handed weapon, it deals 1d12 damage.
Dwarven Longaxe is an exotic 2 handed weapon with reach, it deals 1d12 damage - an extra ability but more difficult to use than a greataxe.

Having a variety of weapons to choose from is generally a good thing, especially considering class features like a Fighter's Weapon Training: Starting at 5th level, a fighter can select one group of weapons, as noted below. Whenever he attacks with a weapon from this group, he gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls."

*yawn*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom