Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Obsidian to develop a western Chrono Trigger?

Zeus

Cipher
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest 2.

Let's make it happen.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Already happened.
Nameless One=Crono
Dak'kon=Frog
Annah=Ayla
Ignus=Magus
Fall-From-Grace=Marle
Nordom=Lucca
Vhailor=Robo
Morte = Uh... Norstein Bekkler?
The NWN2 trial that always ends in combat was also more than likely inspired by Chrono Trigger.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure how I feel about this.

My Chrono Trigger cartridge is sitting on a shelf about 10 feet away from me

OuterSpace

Scholar
Star Wars AND Chocobo Racing influenced Chrono Series revival?

It appeals to everyone!

Azarkon

Arcane
Roguey said:
Already happened.
Nameless One=Crono
Dak'kon=Frog
Annah=Ayla
Ignus=Magus
Fall-From-Grace=Marle
Nordom=Lucca
Vhailor=Robo

This.

PST played like a JRPG in more ways than one, though obviously it had a better story, more stat checks, and more C&C than most JRPGs. Some of the defining characteristics of JRPGs: forced protagonist, cutscene spell casting, colorful characters that don't fit neatly into classes, were basically what set PST apart from older generation IE games.

Given how PST turned out ... Well, it isn't a bad idea.

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Cool. CT was always one of the game's I'd like to see a proper western studio take a shot at.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'd be surprised if the title was "Obsidian to develop a new IP that doesn't blatantly clone gameplay from an AAA game and tries to be original"

Roguey said:
Already happened.
Nameless One=Crono
Dak'kon=Frog
Annah=Ayla
Ignus=Magus
Fall-From-Grace=Marle
Nordom=Lucca
Vhailor=Robo

Gaspar is an honorary member of the team.

The NWN2 trial that always ends in combat was also more than likely inspired by Chrono Trigger.

For context: No matter how well you do in the trial, you will get imprisoned. The chancellor hates you and will lie about your sentence (if you win the trial) to get you executed within 3 days. You can even choose between escaping on your own or waiting until a companion rescues you during the execution.

Edit: It also has a tranny

flea1.gif

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Genma:TheDestroyer said:
How many projects do they have in development, and how many are they considering?

Fallout: New Vegas, Dungeon Siege III, MYSTARY GAME. They will start work on the Wheel of Time game once the Publisher has money.

ScottishMartialArts said:
back to sportforredneck said:
Never played Chrono Trigger. I'd be fine with it.

Play it, play it, play it!

Yes, it's a JRPG, but it's really, really, really good.
They remade it on DS or something, right? I can play it on that.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
It's not a remake, just a port. Almost all the stuff they added is crappy, though. Just play the ROM for the original experience.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
back to sportforredneck said:
They remade it on DS or something, right? I can play it on that.

Banal. Shit. Boring. Like any other wapanese crap with retarded children as main characters being woken up by someone at the beginning of the game.

random_encounter

Educated
The Urquhart said:
“I think it would be fun to take the setting of a Japanese RPG, which is a weird mix of fantasy and sci-fi mashed together and make a Western RPG out of that,” Urquhart chimed in. “I think that would be cool. I mean it’s kind of Star Wars, that’s kind of what Star Wars is a fantasy in space. I think that would be interesting.”

So, we're getting a sequel to Anachronox?

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
Chrono Trigger was awesome but should have been a single game instead of a series. CT's story was perfectly concluded, everything they've added after has just felt forced and half-assed.

And I don't even want to imagine what Obsidian's take on CT's combo attack battle system would be like, probably a real-time clusterfuck with the worst camera ever conceived.

Xor

Arcane

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
CC was an odd game with a story that just didn't make any fucking sense whatsoever but it sadly was a direct sequel, it even killed of the main cast of CT and then brought them back as prophecy reading ghost children. Like I said, it makes no sense and you can tell the writers were just pulling random things out of their ass as they went along.

The only good thing about CC was its soundtrack, but even that wasn't as good or memorable as CT's.

1eyedking

Erudite
Chrono Trigger is shit, why should we care?

Doesn't abuse time travel as much as it should, story and characters are of anime depth (and the setting is as generic as it gets), retarded plot twist, retarded boss fight, combat is of the most shallow and color-coded sort since your only options are Attack / Attack with Spell / Heal - no movement, no action points to weight out different weapons, etc.

It's got a couple of cool tunes which is it's only strong point and reinforces my idea that music in games is key: you mostly want to play the game because engaging in a zero brain activity that feels like you're actually progressing at something while listening to cool music in the background is an enjoyable experience for every human being.

Welcome to the wacky world of "great RPGs", dare I say.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Ice age and Dinosaur age are generic settings? =/

Also, combo attacks and non-random encounters are p cool.

I mean it's not really great as an RPG overall, but pretty good for a JRPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom