Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian Pitching New Star Wars Game

M0RBUS

Augur
Am I wrong in wanting to drink hot led sooner than have these guys making another Star Wars game? :\

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
Meh.

I love Avellone's writing, but I really prefer him to use a more interesting setting than star wars. Any one will do.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Honestly I would prefer letting them redo KOTOR 2 to fix the mistakes in that game (like the ending they had to cut). Of course that's just considering if they got the chance to make another star wars game. Still hoping he gets the chance to do some work on Torment after he finishes up PE.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd play it, and probably enjoy it, but I'd honestly rather people just stop making Star Wars stuff for a while.

Cool name

Arcane
I do hope it is not another RPG. Star Wars does not really work that way for me. The setting's strenghts are with the action, the spectacle, and the 'cool' factor. These guys' strenghts are with the writing and the characters, and with giving odd twists to shit. I would probably get all exited for a good action game with writing, characters, and C&C done by these guys. Throw some RPG elements and that's it. But another Star Wars RPG with click-click-click combat? Nah.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
yes let's hope for a non-rpg by obsidian

because it ended so well with dungeon siege 3

WOLOLO!

Cool name

Arcane
yes let's hope for a non-rpg by obsidian

because it ended so well with dungeon siege 3

WOLOLO!

What Obsidian game did ever end well in the gameplay department? Combat and mechanics in their games are something one does suffer through to enjoy the writing, characters, and oddness... When they do have even that going for them.

MCA
What Obsidian game did ever end well in the gameplay department?

FNV. Their best game to date yet. Which is most ironic because had Bethesda not raped Fallout with Fallout 3, there would be no FNV and if Obsidian had somehow gotten the rights to FO3 in the first place, it would almost assuredly have the same Obsidian trademark boring piece of shit gameplay.

I think Obsidian really does good when they have stuff already in place for them to fix and improve, instead of coming up with their own. They are literally incapable of doing a game that doesn't hinge on combat for 98% of the game, sans FNV, thanks to Bethesda.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Disney will only agree if game will be PG-12 total popamole Pandas with lightsabers; Obsidian with talent for great writing and shit combat would be better doing Inqusition wars game in Warhammer settings; What can change the nature of Heretic?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
What Obsidian game did ever end well in the gameplay department?

Storm of Zehir, fuck da haters.

But I would perhaps point more to the fact that the more Obsidian move away from actual RPG mechanics (say, NWN2 and expansions) into non-RPGs (Dungeon Siege 3, Alpha Trololo), the results tend to be somewhat catastrophic. And I'm saying that even though I LIKED ALPHA PROTOCOL THIS MUCH.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Any game that tries to integrate the awful prequels with the true Star Wars movies is a loser in my book. No one wants to think of those horrible prequels. They ruined everything. Not just Star Wars, but everything. Seriously, apart from watching Jar-Jar being horribly murdered, I have zero interest in this setting.

Diablo169

Arcane
Disney have already stated they have no interest in core gaming with the Star Wars franchise. I seem to recall reading an interview somewhere about "Mobile gaming" being a focus. I would play the shit out of this if it were ever made, I don't think that likely though.

I will second the call for a WH40k game from Obsidian though, holy shit Avellone writing in the 40k fluff would be fucking awesome.

Cool name

Arcane
FNV. Their best game to date yet.

I wasn't able to get far in Fallout 3 before I did lose interest so I did never get FNV. I will give it a try if it is that good.

Is the original Fallout 3 any good or is it worthless without FNV's improvements and changes?

They are literally incapable of doing a game that doesn't hinge on combat for 98% of the game, sans FNV, thanks to Bethesda.

It would be interesting to see Obsidian instead make a game that does play to their strenghts. Something closer to Pathologic or The Void or Azrael's Tear where the setting, the characters, and the oddness does have the focus and the gameplay is more about exploration and interaction with the strange characters and weird enviroment. I do not know if they would be able to pull it off but it would be nice to see them try.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Disney will only agree if game will be PG-12 total popamole Pandas with lightsabers; Obsidian with talent for great writing and shit combat would be better doing Inqusition wars game in Warhammer settings;

Well, I still want to see something cool in Star Wars, so I think it'd be nice if the game happened (and it was actually good), but Warhammer Fantasy or 40k would be pretty awesome too. :bro:

What can change the nature of Heretic?

Fire, mostly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom